Rogers Ignite TV - Alternate wifi/connection possibilities

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sandymctyre
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Rogers Ignite TV - Alternate wifi/connection possibilities

Yes, XB6 in bridge mode, and D-Link as my router. Changed the base IP to match the XB6. I have 2 Ignite boxes running on WiFi, and one in the basement running with the MoCA since i already had coax running to both locations.
-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Sandymctyre wrote:
Yes, XB6 in bridge mode, and D-Link as my router. Changed the base IP to match the XB6. I have 2 Ignite boxes running on WiFi, and one in the basement running with the MoCA since i already had coax running to both locations.

Changed the base IP to match the XB6??  I'm not sure what you mean by that.  The XB6's internal IPv4 LAN address is a 10.x.x.x address; You shouldn't try to match this; rather you should make sure that you do not conflict with this.

On my router, I set my internal IPv4 LAN address to be in the 192.168.10.x range.  I get my IPv6 PD through DHCPv6.

If I have something like the Velop Wi-Fi mesh  (which can act as a router or a bridged network) I use 192.168.1.x for its internal IPv4 LAN addressing when it is acting as a router/gateway.  I connect the Velop to my router's internal LAN segment.

With this arrangement, I can even run all of my components in Gateway mode... not that I would want to do this normally but I can without breaking the network.

With my normal/operational setup, the XB6 is in bridge mode.  My OpenWrt router is my main router/firewall, and my Velop mesh is in bridge mode.    I can still log into the XB6 by going to http://10.0.0.1/ , even when it is in bridge mode.  (The XB6 enables this by rerouting the connection to this special address internally.)

lyfe12
I've Been Here Awhile

Issues with Arris XB6 and bridge mode

Hello everyone hoping I could get some help. I recently set my modem the XB6 to bridge mode so that I could use my own router a Asus RT68U. The issue is that the modem will every couple of hours disconnect the lights in the modem will flash red green and yellow. The only way to fix it is to turn off bridge mode and turn it back on. Anyone else having similar issues. I can use the wifi built into the modem no problem but I plan on buying a mesh router to get wifi across my entire home but with this issue it would be pointless. If it is a issue that is isolated to just my modem then I can have rogers replace it but if it is a issue across all the Arris XB6 then I'm out of luck.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@lyfe12 wrote:

Issues with Arris XB6 and bridge mode

Hello everyone hoping I could get some help. I recently set my modem the XB6 to bridge mode so that I could use my own router a Asus RT68U. The issue is that the modem will every couple of hours disconnect the lights in the modem will flash red green and yellow. The only way to fix it is to turn off bridge mode and turn it back on.

Can you describe the status LED pattern that you see on the modem?  Is it alternating between Amber and Green and then turning Red or is it is constantly cycling through these three colours sequentially?  Do you see any errors in the modem's Event Log?  I think that the status LEDs cycle between Amber and Green while the firmware is updating; I have never seen (nor heard of) the XB6's LED cycling between three different colours.

There's no reason (that I am aware of) that the XB6 should go into a weird state just because you have Bridge Mode enabled.

What happens when you power-cycle the XB6 with Bridge Mode disabled?  Does the status LED eventually turn solid white?  If so, can you then successfully enable Bridge Mode after that?

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

If the modem is attempting to update, and failing, that's usually a sign of signal issues with the external cable and/or connectors.  There is also the possibility that a failing external cable and/or connectors is reaching a failure point every couple of hours, which is temporarily resolved by the modem reboot.  That reboot doesn't resolve the underlying cable/connector problem.  That requires a tech visit to determine what the problem is and replace the cable and/or connectors.  

Call tech support and ask the Customer Service Rep to run a signal check on the modem to see what, if anything, turns up in the results.

edwardparker
I've Been Here Awhile

DGM4141 Bridge Mode and no TV

Not happy with this DGM4141 modem/router.

The wireless speeds to PCs in my home network are about half of my own modem.

If I try to put the DGM4141 Ignite modem/router into bridge mode,I lose my TV as it appears it also disconnects the wireless to my Xi6-A.
My own modem that I used before "Ignite" has 6 RJ45 ports, 2 USB ports used for my laser printer and my media server, and great wifi.   

Anyway I can get back to using my modem via DGM4141 bridge mode and still keep my TV?

Sandymctyre
I Plan to Stick Around

Did you re configure your Xi6 to look for your router instead of the Rogers modem? It should be pretty straightforward. I set up one of my 5G bands specifically for the TV’s.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@edwardparker  The Wi-Fi on the CGM4141ROG version of the XB6 is actually pretty good.  If you are getting slow speeds, it might be due to its location, Wi-Fi channel selection, or the number of active Wi-Fi devices on your network.  I would try to get Wi-Fi connectivity to your XB6 working better first before trying alternative solutions.

Yes, enabling Bridge Mode on the XB6 will disable the Private Wi-Fi network that your set-top boxes connect to.

You can enable Bridge Mode on the XB6 and use your own router with Ignite TV but beware that this configuration is not officially supported by Rogers.  If you should ever experience a problem and need to call into Tech Support, they will not be able to provide you with any support until you revert back to the original installed configuration.

To use your own router, you will need to ensure that both IPv4 and IPv6 protocol stacks are enabled and working properly.  For Wi-Fi connectivity, you can duplicate the XB6's Wi-Fi credentials on your own router and then enable Wi-Fi on either one or the other.  This will make it easy to revert back to the installed configuration but you won't be able to have the duplicate Wi-Fi configuration active on both your router and the XB6 at the same time.   The alternative is to connect your Ignite TV set-top boxes to your router's Wi-Fi: Press and hold the Exit button on your remote for 3 seconds, then key in Down Down 9 4 3 4.  When reverting back to the original configuration, you will need to perform the same procedure again to reconnect all of your set-top boxes back to the XB6's Wi-Fi.

I don't recommend using your own router (with the XB6 in Bridge Mode) unless you have moderately advanced networking skills and can comfortably switch your Ignite TV setup back to the original supportable configuration.

edwardparker
I've Been Here Awhile

Good info. Really appreciated.

I'm a big believer in "if you don't know the resolution, don't experiment, just either rtm or ask an expert." I now have the info that I need. Big time thanks . 🤗

FWIW, I was top level support for a 10,000 unit WWAN. 

I was hoping that it might be as simple as PPPoE.

Cheers Ted

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@edwardparker  No problem.  The great thing about Ignite TV is that it doesn't require any special network configuration and should work fine with most 3rd-party network components.  However, you won't get any help or support on setting this up from Rogers, you will need to be comfortable troubleshooting any problems that you might run into, and will only get limited support from Rogers with Ignite TV in a non-standard configuration.  If you have any specific configuration questions, feel free to ask here and we'll share whatever tips and advice that we can offer.

One other thing to also be aware of: even though Wi-Fi gets disabled on the XB6 in Bridge Mode, it doesn't get totally disabled.  On a Wi-Fi scanner, you will still see some hidden networks active.  Do a wireless survey.  Assign optimal channels on your own router/AP.  On the XB6, manually configure Wi-Fi channels that will cause the least amount of interference to you and to your neighbours, save the config, disable Wi-Fi, then enable Bridge Mode.  You won't see much traffic (if any) on those hidden networks but it's enough to mess up auto channel selection on neighbouring AP's.

Best of luck!