cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rogers Ignite TV - Alternate wifi/connection possibilities

Gdkitty
Resident Expert

Creating this thread so we can separate any discussion about alternate methods of connectivity 
(if at all possible still, etc)

- Bridge Mode - is it capable of connecting the boxes to your own modem

- Wired connection

- How to connect these boxes in those methods.

*Edited Labels*

318 REPLIES 318

Re: Rogers Ignite TV - Alternate wifi/connection possibilities

jj59
I Plan to Stick Around

Yes, I would like guest mode and additional Ethernet ports which the XB6 does not support. 

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@jj59 wrote:

Yes, I would like guest mode and additional Ethernet ports which the XB6 does not support. 

The XB6 hardware supports secondary Wi-Fi networks so it's technically possible for Comcast to add support for Guest Wi-Fi Networks at a later date.  Until then, I would buy an inexpensive access point (something like this) for temporary guest access.

As for additional Ethernet ports, you get an unmanaged Gigabit Ethernet switch in the $15 to $25 range.  I have even heard of the Rogers install techs providing one free of charge, if required.

You can add either of the above pieces of hardware without impacting the supportability of the Rogers-supplied hardware, and they would be less expensive than a high-powered router that would be required to replace the functionality of the XB6.

Sandymctyre
I Plan to Stick Around

I use the D-Link DIR-890L without any trouble. It offers me better range than the XB6. I had to stop using the PLC bridge that Rogers supplied also, and move to my own MoCA set up. Problem free since then. 

jj59
I Plan to Stick Around
How do you have it setup? Do you use the D-link as the router?

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@jj59  For what it's worth, I also have my XB6 in bridge mode and am using my own router, which runs OpenWrt.  No issues.  For Wi-Fi, I've tested with a Linksys Velop mesh, various different access points, and have also tested with the Xi6 set-top boxes connected wired.

If I should ever need to call into Rogers tech support, I have my network set up in such a way that I can easily disable Bridge Mode on the XB6 and connect the Xi6 set-top boxes to the gateway with wired Ethernet through a switch.