cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rogers Ignite TV - Alternate wifi/connection possibilities

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Creating this thread so we can separate any discussion about alternate methods of connectivity 
(if at all possible still, etc)

- Bridge Mode - is it capable of connecting the boxes to your own modem

- Wired connection

- How to connect these boxes in those methods.

*Edited Labels*

318 REPLIES 318

Re: Rogers Ignite TV - Alternate wifi/connection possibilities

tdelios
I Plan to Stick Around

Can You Connect A Wireless TV Receiver To Your Own Access Point ?

Has anyone ever tried to setup on of your wireless tv receivers and connect it to the wfi signal of one of your own Access Point devices or is it mandatory for it to be connected to the Arris Modem? 

As was discussed in the other threads (which I think you were part of?)
Yes, it can be connected to your own access point.

The only caveat is.. if there are issues with the TV box, etc.. and you call for any trouble shooting.. they dont really support the devices in that way.
You might have to un bridge the modem, connect direct to the modem to troubleshoot that way.

nuklz96
I've Been Here Awhile

I bridged their modem seconds after install, but I'm noticing that the modem is still broadcasting Hidden SSID's

Have you seen this and been able to disable?

mozerd
I Plan to Stick Around

@nuklz96 

Bridging does not disable wireless. In gateway mode you have to disable each wireless band after which you can bridge and wireless will be disabled.

David Mozer
IT-Expert on Call

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@nuklz96 wrote:

I bridged their modem seconds after install, but I'm noticing that the modem is still broadcasting Hidden SSID's.  Have you seen this and been able to disable?

Yes, I've seen this and have reported the problem to tech support.  Apparently, there is no way to disable these hidden SSIDs or to completely turn off the Wi-Fi radios on the XB6.  I've also escalated this issue through other channels.

The explanation that I was given was that one of these SSIDs, presumably the "WPA2 Personal" one, is a default SSID that a new Xi6 set-top box can use to connect to the XB6 without any configuration required.  I don't know about the "WPA/WPA2 Enterprise" SSID.

For now, the only thing that you can really do (apart from surrounding the XB6 with a Faraday cage) is to re-enable Wi-Fi on the XB6, assign channels to both the 2.5 and 5 GHz bands that will cause the least amount of interference with the local Wi-Fi environment, save the config, then disable Wi-Fi again.  (You can then put the XB6 back into bridge mode.)  These channel assignments will still be used for the hidden SSID's when Wi-Fi is disabled.

chomyn
I Plan to Stick Around
I’ve placed the Rogers modem on bridge mode and it seems to disable all wireless. I have to use my own router for the ignite boxes to work.

RHstats
I Plan to Stick Around

When we first got Ignite TV it was possible to disable the WiFi for both bands. However, after Rogers introduced the WIFi pods ( and I had three installed in my home) I found that the enable/disable buttons were grayed out in the gateway and it was no longer possible to disable WiFi. However, I just went into the XB6 gateway and the enable/disable buttons are now active again and it is possible to disable WiFi on the XB6.

I suspect, as -G- said above that the reason they were initially disabled was to allow the STBs to connect to the XB6 and more significantly to allow the WiFi pods and the Rogers WiFi Hub app to connect  as the Hub App is used to connect the WiFi pods to connect to the XB6.

I had been having a lot of problems with all the issues that everyone else has experienced with connectivity on the STBs, but I recently had a tech come in and check everything out. My system was set up with the XB6 in gateway mode with Wifi disabled and I was using my own Asus routers in AiMesh mode to distribute WiFi. The tech changed everything and put the XB6 into bridge mode (which I was surprised about because we had always been told that Rogers didn't support the XB6 in bridge mode) and he then installed three Wifi pods throughout the house to boost the Wifi signals. All my STBs are now connected by the WiFi signal form the XB6  and I have not had any issues with the STBs since. In the meantime, I am still using my Asus routers to distribute WiFi for all my other peripherals (printer, phones, iPads, AV receivers, Google Home mini, etc.) with no further issues there either. Works well for me.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@chomyn wrote:
I’ve placed the Rogers modem on bridge mode and it seems to disable all wireless. I have to use my own router for the ignite boxes to work.

You'll only see these hidden SSIDs with a Wi-Fi scanner that displays whatever information it can about nearby hidden networks.

peterfranklee
I Plan to Stick Around

Don't know if this belongs here but I had Rogers Ignite Internet installed a couple weeks ago but installer could not connect to my Netgear Nighthawk Router. Eventually had to bypass the Nighthawk and connect directly to my Dell XPS 8500 PC and the Internet worked. Attached to my Nighthawk, could not even do 192.168.1.1 And the installer said they are not trained in Neatgear Routers and said nothing about the BRIDGE mode I have read about on the Community Support Forum. Called Netgear to find out which Router works with Rogers Ignite Internet or what do

they recommend. Person on phone only tried to get me to pay for support. I may eventually go to the Geek Squad

which is what the installer told me to do. Find a Geeker experienced with Netgear configurations. Sad state.

Can't believe I am the first person in Canada with a Netgear Nighthawk Router connected to Rogers Ignite Internet

that has this problem!

FATHER'S FAVORITE SAYING
May you have long life, good health, happiness and may my God be always with you and yours.

@peterfranklee the IP address that you use to log into the modem will depend on which modem model you have.  The IP address that the router assumes when the modem in operating in Bridge mode will depend on whether or not the user has selected the Automatic IP address mode for the router.  Anyone who doesn't enable that setting will normally end up with the default router IP address for the router and won't have any idea of what addresses are actually used by the modem.  If the Automatic IP address mode is selected the router will use its assigned IP address from the modem:

1.  If you have the new Ignite TV service XB6 modem, it uses 10.0.0.1 as an IP address.  This link shows the procedure to Bridge the XB6 modem.  That should work for wifi or ethernet:

https://www.rogers.com/customer/support/article/how-to-bridge-your-rogers-ignite-modem

Since I don't use this modem, I'm assuming that it assigns a 10.0.0.2 address to the router when the modem switches into Bridge mode, but, don't quote me on that one.  There are other Resident Experts who can comment on the specifics for the XB6 Bridge mode. 

2.  If you have the white Hitron CODA-4582 modem, use the procedure linked below to kick the modem into Bridge mode.  When the modem is in Bridge mode, the router will be assigned a 192.168.0.1 address normally.  To log into the modem, thru the router when the modem is in Bridge mode, you can only use 192.168.100.1 for the modem when its in Bridge mode.  That address will usually work thru any router to access the modem.  Some users have to create an access rule in order for that address to work, but, that's not a normal requirement.  It should work without any issues.  By using 192.168.100.1 thru the router, you can log into the modem and reenable the Residential Gateway Function.  When the setting change is saved, the modem will reboot back into Gateway mode with its previous settings intact. 

https://www.rogers.com/customer/support/article/bridgemode-coda4582

In either case, this should be a fairly simple procedure.  Log into the modem, switch the required setting to enable Bridge modem and save the setting or configuration.  The modem should reboot into Bridge mode.  When you connect your router to the modem, it should, normally, use its assigned IP address as specified by the modem.  What you see for your LAN address will depend entirely on the IP address settings that you have selected in the routers WAN / LAN settings page.  If you already have the router connected to the modem when you switch the modem into Bridge mode, you should reboot / restart the router when the modem reboots into Bridge mode.  

If you were assuming that 192.168.1.1 was used by the modem, you're assumption is incorrect.  Modem manufacturers and ISPs all seem to follow their own choice, so, one can't assume that the address as specified by one modem will work for another modem, even within the same ISP. 

Edit:  Note:  if you take a modem that is configured for Gateway mode of operation, and a router that is configured to run in its normal router mode, and connect the router to the modem, that combination should work without any issues despite the mismatch of configurations.  In this case you end up with a double NAT situation, which although not desirable, should work in most situations.  Port forwarding would be a pain in this case.   Ideally as you're trying to do, you want the modem in Bridge mode and the router in its normal router mode.  

@peterfranklee wrote:

Don't know if this belongs here but I had Rogers Ignite Internet installed a couple weeks ago but installer could not connect to my Netgear Nighthawk Router. Eventually had to bypass the Nighthawk and connect directly to my Dell XPS 8500 PC and the Internet worked. Attached to my Nighthawk, could not even do 192.168.1.1

Are you an Ignite TV customer (with an XB6 modem) or just a normal Rogers Internet customer?

If you have Rogers Internet only, it's not too difficult to put your modem into "bridge mode" and use your own router.

If you are an Ignite TV customer, it's also possible to put the XB6 modem into "bridge mode" but it's a much more daunting task.  It's (officially) TOTALLY unsupported by Rogers and I don't recommend that anybody do this unless they have fairly good networking skills, understand how all the components interoperate, can troubleshoot networking and WiFi issues in their sleep, and be able to fall back to a supportable configuration in the event that they need to contact Rogers Tech Support for assistance.

TyWilliamsCA
I Plan to Stick Around

Ignite Arris in Bridge with Google Wifi, ports blocked?

I have my Ignite Arris modem setup in Bridge mode connected to Google Wifi

I might be going crazy but does Ignite block ports? I had Rogers 500u before Ignite and could connect to any port I opened via Google Wifi. 1194 for VPN for example

I've factory reset my modem complexity, placing it back into Bridge, same result, ports are closed

Google Wifi has also been factory reset too as a troubleshooting step. It's like all ports are closed, with no option to open.

Tomorrow I'm going to be doing another factory reset and will try the Rogers firmware to see if Bridge mode is the culprit for sure. 

Does anyone have 1194, or a VPN port open, and working using Ignite with the Arris modem? 

Thanks!

@TyWilliamsCA wrote:

I have my Ignite Arris modem setup in Bridge mode connected to Google Wifi

I might be going crazy but does Ignite block ports? I had Rogers 500u before Ignite and could connect to any port I opened via Google Wifi. 1194 for VPN for example

Does anyone have 1194, or a VPN port open, and working using Ignite with the Arris modem? 

I don't currently use a VPN service so I can't personally provide any confirmation either way.

Lots of users (customers of all cable co's that deploy XB6 modems) have reported issues with using VPNs with the XB6 in Gateway mode.  As far as I can tell, they mainly involve products that are not NAT-friendly and require VPN passthrough support, which the XB6 does not really do.  There also appears to be reports of some products working with an Arris XB6 but not the Technicolor XB6, and vice versa.  (These two modems are based on different hardware, so it's not surprising that there are some functional differences between the two.)  That said, folks who have reported issues with VPN connections not establishing (or dropping after a period of time) also say that the problems go away when they use their own router and put the XB6 into bridge mode.

As for Rogers blocking ports, I can't say for sure, but I also can't see them doing anything different at the network level just because you now subscribe to the Ignite TV service.

niadh
I've Been Around
This works. Solid. thanks

jj59
I Plan to Stick Around

Iv heard lots of people have been having issues with using third party routes with the XB6 and Ignite TV not working properly. any router suggestions? 

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@jj59 wrote:

Iv heard lots of people have been having issues with using third party routes with the XB6 and Ignite TV not working properly. any router suggestions? 

Is there any specific hardware that you would like to use (that others have reported problems with) or any specific reason why you would want to use your own router rather than using a solution that is 100% supported by Rogers?

We have some members of the Community with advanced networking knowledge who put their XB6 into Bridge Mode and use their own router and Wi-Fi equipment without any problems whatsoever.  Rogers doesn't provide any support for those network configurations and those users don't require any either to get them up and running.  Ignite TV is pretty flexible with what underlying hardware it can work with but requires fully-functional IPv4 and IPv6 networking stacks.

We have also have other less technical users who have requested that the Rogers install tech make use of their existing networking hardware.  They end up with a network configuration that they do not fully understand and which Rogers is also unable to support.

We also have some users who run the XB6 in Gateway mode, disable the modem's Wi-Fi, and use their own Wi-Fi mesh hardware in a bridge mode configuration.  This configuration also tends to be trouble-free.

The one thing that you need to keep in mind is that at some point, a day will come when you will require tech support from Rogers.  What that happens, anybody with a non-standard/unsupported network configuration will need to put their setup into a fully supportable configuration.

jj59
I Plan to Stick Around

Yes, I would like guest mode and additional Ethernet ports which the XB6 does not support. 

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@jj59 wrote:

Yes, I would like guest mode and additional Ethernet ports which the XB6 does not support. 

The XB6 hardware supports secondary Wi-Fi networks so it's technically possible for Comcast to add support for Guest Wi-Fi Networks at a later date.  Until then, I would buy an inexpensive access point (something like this) for temporary guest access.

As for additional Ethernet ports, you get an unmanaged Gigabit Ethernet switch in the $15 to $25 range.  I have even heard of the Rogers install techs providing one free of charge, if required.

You can add either of the above pieces of hardware without impacting the supportability of the Rogers-supplied hardware, and they would be less expensive than a high-powered router that would be required to replace the functionality of the XB6.

Sandymctyre
I Plan to Stick Around

I use the D-Link DIR-890L without any trouble. It offers me better range than the XB6. I had to stop using the PLC bridge that Rogers supplied also, and move to my own MoCA set up. Problem free since then. 

jj59
I Plan to Stick Around
How do you have it setup? Do you use the D-link as the router?

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@jj59  For what it's worth, I also have my XB6 in bridge mode and am using my own router, which runs OpenWrt.  No issues.  For Wi-Fi, I've tested with a Linksys Velop mesh, various different access points, and have also tested with the Xi6 set-top boxes connected wired.

If I should ever need to call into Rogers tech support, I have my network set up in such a way that I can easily disable Bridge Mode on the XB6 and connect the Xi6 set-top boxes to the gateway with wired Ethernet through a switch.