Rogers Ignite TV - Alternate wifi/connection possibilities

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Rogers Ignite TV - Alternate wifi/connection possibilities

Good afternoon @Ookpic!

Glad to hear you were able to get it working. Smiley Happy Great work!

If it seems to be working, then the only problem I can foresee is that this setup may complicate any troubleshooting we may need to do in the future.

Should you encounter any issues with your Internet connectivity/speeds or TV picture/sound, we would require you to take the modem out of bridge mode and test to see if that resolves the hypothetical issue.

That's it though! As long as the service is working for you, we're happy!

EDIT: BTW... I love your Username. It was a nickname that my Dad used to call me when I woke up with bed head. 

Regards,

RogersCorey

I Plan to Stick Around

@RogersCorey wrote:

Good afternoon @Ookpic!

Glad to hear you were able to get it working. Smiley Happy Great work!

If it seems to be working, then the only problem I can foresee is that this setup may complicate any troubleshooting we may need to do in the future.

Should you encounter any issues with your Internet connectivity/speeds or TV picture/sound, we would require you to take the modem out of bridge mode and test to see if that resolves the hypothetical issue.

That's it though! As long as the service is working for you, we're happy!

EDIT: BTW... I love your Username. It was a nickname that my Dad used to call me when I woke up with bed head. 

Regards,

RogersCorey

Thanks Corey

Once I knew that the Rogers router could be put back into Gateway mode by doing factory reset, it was a no brainer for me. I wish Rogers would just offer a quality modem and let the "Router portion" be a customer decision. I do realize not everyone is tech savvy though. In the event of trouble with speed or TV issues, the first thing I would do is put it back to gateway to see if that is the issue. The only trouble I've ever had with Rogers (knock on wood) has always been the RG11 cable from street to house either deteriorating or breaking. Wish they'd put it more than a couple of inches below the grass! lol

Ookpic has been with me pretty much since the beginning of the internet when I needed a unique name for IRC, PowWow, ICQ, etc. 

You're welcome @Ookpic!

Please keep us up to date on your experience with this setup in a week or so. If you do encounter any unforeseen issues, it would really help the Community out if you could share your experience.

Hopefully, it all works well going forward from here. Smiley Happy

Regards,

RogersCorey

I'm Here A Lot

Please forgive me if this should be a new thread. Just had Ignite installed today. I previously had my CGN3 in bridge modem and was running a DIR890L AC3200 router which I love(d). Tech doing the install told me I couldn’t bridge the new Gigabit router, or I would lose my TV.  Did a signal test around my home (and yard) and the DIR890L still outperforms the Gigabit, so I would like to continue using it. The DIR890L is still connected in a double NAT configuration. Seems to be operating okay, but I can’t even use the Ignite app, unless connected to the Gigabit router. So what is the best solution for me? 

Keep the double NAT and just use the Gigabit connection for Ignite TV?

From what I’ve read on this thread, it is in fact possible to run Ignite TV with the Gigabit router in bridge mode, and go back to my original setup?

Or...put my DIR890L in AP mode, and use the Gigabit router?

Advice would be appreciated!

thanks,

I Plan to Stick Around

@Sandymctyre wrote:

Please forgive me if this should be a new thread. Just had Ignite installed today. I previously had my CGN3 in bridge modem and was running a DIR890L AC3200 router which I love(d). Tech doing the install told me I couldn’t bridge the new Gigabit router, or I would lose my TV.  Did a signal test around my home (and yard) and the DIR890L still outperforms the Gigabit, so I would like to continue using it. The DIR890L is still connected in a double NAT configuration. Seems to be operating okay, but I can’t even use the Ignite app, unless connected to the Gigabit router. So what is the best solution for me? 

Keep the double NAT and just use the Gigabit connection for Ignite TV?

From what I’ve read on this thread, it is in fact possible to run Ignite TV with the Gigabit router in bridge mode, and go back to my original setup?

Or...put my DIR890L in AP mode, and use the Gigabit router?

Advice would be appreciated!

thanks,

Read above a couple of threads. I did indeed put the new ignite modem in bridge mode. I put together a step by step instruction. Yes, you can definitely run it in bridge mode and still re-configure the TV boxes to access your router instead of the ignite modem. I will tell you that you will need a very strong WiFi signal to all boxes though the antenna on these boxes are garbage so a VERY strong 5GHz band only signal is needed. Either that or a high speed powerline adapter will also work. LMK if you have any further questions. I'll try and help out.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Sandymctyre I'd give the modem Bridge mode a go, as indicated in @Ookpic's post:

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Ignite-TV/Rogers-Ignite-TV-Alternate-wifi-connection-possibili...

Try it for yourself and keep notes as you're switching the modem and router modes.  Please post the success or lack thereof, with appropriate notes so that future Ignite TV users can learn from those who have attempted the same configuration.  

Fwiw, if you have the Arris XB6, your 890L probably has a higher power output.  If you have the Technicolor XB6, it's a toss-up as to which has the higher output.  It depends on the frequency and bandwidth in operation.  

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Ookpic if you have cable ports near some of those Ignite TV set top boxes, you should consider MoCA 2.0 ethernet to cable adapters.  Those will provide much higher data rates compared to powerline adapters.

Here's one example of a MoCA 2.0 adapter:

https://www.actiontec.com/products/home-networking/ecb6200/

I'm Here A Lot

Thank you for the replies @Ookpic , @Datalink . i will try this evening and let you know how it goes.
I'm Here A Lot

So, that was a lot more tedious and time consuming than I had envisioned.  

I followed the steps as so graciously outlined in @Ookpic ‘s post a couple of pages back. I have the Arris XB6 unfortunately.  

I logged into admin by typing address 10.0.0.1 into the address bar, and changed the mode to bridge mode. Next I logged into my router and reconfigured the address to start at 10.0.0.1. I then disabled all but my primary 5GHz band, and renamed it to TV. I then went to the Wifi settings on the Xi6 box, and changed the SSID to TV. I used manual, as it was easier for me to type the password than to run up and down the stairs. Success! It connected easily, and worked flawlessly.

on to the 2nd TV in the basement. This was not as easy. By the time I got to it, it was “trying to connect”. It would NOT, by any means, go into setup mode by pressing Exit,Down,Down,9434. It would. It go into the summary screen by pressing Exit,Down,Down,2 either. Not even after unplugging, and plugging back in. Then I realized it was hardwired with Ethernet to a power line bridge. The power line light wasn’t on. Back and forth up multiple flights of stairs, trying to reconnect these bridges to no avail.

So I disconnect the Ethernet. Power cycle the Xi6 set top box, and I can finally get into WiFi setup. Manullay configure the SSID, and presto, it works too! 

Gigabit router in bridge mode, and Ignite boxes connected through my D-Link router.

But, I am a little worried about the signal strength in the basement, it was hovering around the mid to high -70dBm mark.

So, I set out to get the Ethernet bridges working. Turns out, the install tech should never have plugged them into my UPS and surge bar...removing them, and plugging directly to the receptacle, and now I have a good signal.

Problem is...I don’t know how to get the Xi6 set top box back into Ethernet mode.  Any help from the experts?

thank you!

I Plan to Stick Around

@Sandymctyre wrote:

So, that was a lot more tedious and time consuming than I had envisioned.  

I followed the steps as so graciously outlined in @Ookpic ‘s post a couple of pages back. I have the Arris XB6 unfortunately.  

I logged into admin by typing address 10.0.0.1 into the address bar, and changed the mode to bridge mode. Next I logged into my router and reconfigured the address to start at 10.0.0.1. I then disabled all but my primary 5GHz band, and renamed it to TV. I then went to the Wifi settings on the Xi6 box, and changed the SSID to TV. I used manual, as it was easier for me to type the password than to run up and down the stairs. Success! It connected easily, and worked flawlessly.

on to the 2nd TV in the basement. This was not as easy. By the time I got to it, it was “trying to connect”. It would NOT, by any means, go into setup mode by pressing Exit,Down,Down,9434. It would. It go into the summary screen by pressing Exit,Down,Down,2 either. Not even after unplugging, and plugging back in. Then I realized it was hardwired with Ethernet to a power line bridge. The power line light wasn’t on. Back and forth up multiple flights of stairs, trying to reconnect these bridges to no avail.

So I disconnect the Ethernet. Power cycle the Xi6 set top box, and I can finally get into WiFi setup. Manullay configure the SSID, and presto, it works too! 

Gigabit router in bridge mode, and Ignite boxes connected through my D-Link router.

But, I am a little worried about the signal strength in the basement, it was hovering around the mid to high -70dBm mark.

So, I set out to get the Ethernet bridges working. Turns out, the install tech should never have plugged them into my UPS and surge bar...removing them, and plugging directly to the receptacle, and now I have a good signal.

Problem is...I don’t know how to get the Xi6 set top box back into Ethernet mode.  Any help from the experts?

thank you!

Sorry couldn't reply from phone last night at work. Forum refused to let me login to reply!!!

The Install tech that installed my Ignite told me that regardless of whether you have a wireless connection setup with your TV box. When it gets plugged into ethernet hardwired, it will automatically use that. You may need to do a full power cycle to get it to show up in the statistics. 

Word of caution. the little powerline adapters they give you are junk. They are extremely unstable. Especially if you have more than just a pair. You can set them up to use one as the master and have multiple receivers if you wish but it will require them to be paired. There is more info on the powerline adapters that my rogers tech left with me. He was sure they worked only in pairs so he tried to have 3 "masters" and 3 separate receivers. A pair for each TV box. This just confused the whole network and barely worked. As soon as he left, I removed all of them. 

Info on the powerline adapters that I received...
http://www.brite-view.com/product.php?P=3

This weekend, I'll be redoing the whole house again trying 2 different ideas. 

1 - Installing a whole home WiFi mesh network.
2 - Installing a high power TP-Link AC4000 WiFi Router and using some high speed AV1000 gigabit powerline adapters. 

I'll definitely report back on which system seems to be most stable.