Rogers Ignite TV - Alternate wifi/connection possibilities

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Rogers Ignite TV - Alternate wifi/connection possibilities

@Makaveli99 wrote:

I'm starting to get calls to switch over to Ignite TV.

What is the current bridge mode status on the modem in that package. I read previously there were issues with it. I need to be able to use my own router and will not consider the package if I can't.

The Rogers Ignite Gateways can be bridged so that you can run your own router. The technicolor gateway is the one I suggest you insist on. Stay away from the Arris gateway ... it has issues.

David Mozer
IT-Expert on Call
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@mozerd @Makaveli99  I ran across the following thread in the Comcast Xfinity TV forum.  Looks like Comcast is finally deploying the Xi6 STB version that Rogers is using.  Note the use of Vlans by the XB6 modem and the mention of the RDK-B stack.  It might be possible to snoop on the network to determine the Vlan #s that the XB6 is using.  Question is, if Vlans are employed by the XB6, can you duplicate that configuration and not run into issues with the missing RDK-B stack?  That's assuming that the XB6 modem is in Bridge mode with a router (with Vlans) running behind it.  There is also the question of whether or not the XB6 modem itself supplies the Xi6 STB with any IP addresses which are necessary for the Xi6 to operate properly.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r32289263-X1-Is-it-possible-to-use-the-Xi6-with-you-own-router

Since Rogers probably won't release the necessary info, its up to some enterprising user to run a snooping session and duplicate the vlan configuration with a modem (in Bridge mode) with a router behind it, if in fact there are Vlans in use.

I Plan to Stick Around

Had my ignite installed today.  I had the router in bridge mode with a mesh system installed.  Thought I would lose that, but the tech installed the ignite modem with it’s WiFi just for the TV’s with my mesh system as well.  Everything is working well!

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Grwebster if you didn't change the mesh system main node so that it runs as an Access Point, that means that you probably have a double NAT situation going on.  Thats not a big deal unless you have port forwarding requirements or unless you're a gamer.  That double NAT wouldn't help at all in either of those circumstances.  If you didn't change any settings for the main node, that also means that you have a protected zone (firewalled zone) within a protected zone (firewalled zone).  I've seen arguments for and against, so, it just depends on how you want to run your network. 

I Plan to Stick Around

@Datalink wrote:

@mozerd @Makaveli99  I ran across the following thread in the Comcast Xfinity TV forum.  Looks like Comcast is finally deploying the Xi6 STB version that Rogers is using.  Note the use of Vlans by the XB6 modem and the mention of the RDK-B stack.  It might be possible to snoop on the network to determine the Vlan #s that the XB6 is using.  Question is, if Vlans are employed by the XB6, can you duplicate that configuration and not run into issues with the missing RDK-B stack?  That's assuming that the XB6 modem is in Bridge mode with a router (with Vlans) running behind it.  There is also the question of whether or not the XB6 modem itself supplies the Xi6 STB with any IP addresses which are necessary for the Xi6 to operate properly.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r32289263-X1-Is-it-possible-to-use-the-Xi6-with-you-own-router

Since Rogers probably won't release the necessary info, its up to some enterprising user to run a snooping session and duplicate the vlan configuration with a modem (in Bridge mode) with a router behind it, if in fact there are Vlans in use.

@Datalink 

Thanks for the Heads up. I was NOT aware that Rogers had implemented vlans for ignite. That is certainly NEWS. Wondering why my ignite clients have not complained to me? WOW, VLAN's. Not a big deal but that is a major shift.

David Mozer
IT-Expert on Call
I Plan to Stick Around

@Datalink OOPS sorry I completely misread your POST. Sorry about that. No vlans are in use on the current ignite network but if Rogers do decide to implement vlans those tags will be very easily found and there is no reason for Rogers not to disclose ESPECIALLY for those people who choose the BRIDGE mode implementation. :-)

Everyone who uses bridge mode understand that Rogers do not have the ability to support the IGNITE TV etc service from a CSR perspective. 

David Mozer
IT-Expert on Call
I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks for the reply.

When is the general consensus on the Technicolor Gateway vs the Current Hitron on trial firmware. I don't want to regress in the internet part of it just for IPTV.

Actually the better question is are both new modem Intel Puma or is the Technicolor Broadcom based?

Also not concerned about support in bridge mode and its easy to switch back to gateway mode before making a support call.

And yes double Nat is not something I want.

I'm Here A Lot

I am wiring my home with cat 6 cables. Upstairs, main floor and basement. On each floor I hope to directly connect the ignite tv boxes to the installed cat 6 ethernet and tvs (3 total). There are also two additional rooms (tv's) in the home that will have no direct connection and will require ignite tv boxes to operate using wifi. So 3 tvs/boxes wired directly to ethernet and 2 tv's needing boxes using wifi. I was told by a neighbor that I can't operate the other two boxes in wifi as the system only works in wifi or connected ethernet and I have to choose which one on main box? Is it not possible to run both at the same time ,wired and wifi? Hope the neighbor is wrong as I need the system to run both connected and wifi at the same time for the other two tv's and tablets, cell phones ect? Any help would be appreciated thanks.

I Plan to Stick Around

@Datalink wrote:

@Grwebster if you didn't change the mesh system main node so that it runs as an Access Point, that means that you probably have a double NAT situation going on.  Thats not a big deal unless you have port forwarding requirements or unless you're a gamer.  That double NAT wouldn't help at all in either of those circumstances.  If you didn't change any settings for the main node, that also means that you have a protected zone (firewalled zone) within a protected zone (firewalled zone).  I've seen arguments for and against, so, it just depends on how you want to run your network. 

I will take a look at the settings on the Rogers router, but in looking at the IP addresses of the TV boxes, they look like the are sittting on the Rogers network.

Good morning @jmart0809!

Welcome to our Community! 

Good question! One of our members, @Biollw has a successful wired/wireless Ignite TV setup with 2 devices wired and 1 on WiFi. So I can definitely confirm it can work. Just one thing to keep in mind is that your wired boxes will still want to connect to WiFi as a failsafe in case the Ethernet connection fails for any reason. 

Do you plan on bridging the modem to a router of your own in order to do this? Are you using our Wall-To-Wall WiFi system? In order to properly answer your question, we'll need to know a bit more about your planned setup.

Regards,

RogersCorey