Rogers Ignite TV - Alternate wifi/connection possibilities

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Rogers Ignite TV - Alternate wifi/connection possibilities

Ok, no problem.  Whenever its convenient and you feel like tackling this, post an update.  Take some notes during your tests to keep track of the configuration for the modem, router and Macbook Pro and the results, and post those so we can sort them out and make some sense out of them.  

This is a process of elimination.  Point to keep in mind, each device can have hardware and/or software issues, and that includes the XB6 modem, google router and MacBook Pro.  

So, just to start out, you get 200 Mb/s thru the modem, I'm assuming that's with the MacBook Pro. 

You get 500 Mb/s thru the google router on wifi, which I'm also assuming is the MacBook Pro.  

So, whats the ethernet data rate with the MacBook Pro, thru the google router?  I'd assume that its going to be 200 Mb/s.  

If you're getting 500 Mb/s on wifi, thru the google router, then the data rate thru the modem to the router has to be 500 Mb/s.  The slow data rates are thru the ethernet connected MacBook Pro.  

So, what the problem with the MacBook Pro?  I came across an old article on slow Macbook Pro ethernet performance:

https://www.idownloadblog.com/2016/02/27/fix-mac-ethernet-problems/

This is a little dated, but, does it have any relevance to the situation? 

I've Been Here Awhile

Hi - 1st time poster and really appreciate this community sharing their experiences with the Rogers Ignite experience. 

I have an install scheduled for this coming Saturday but starting to get cold feet after reading through the board.

I would love to try whole home wireless but have some family members that work from home and can't afford any internet outages or dropped wireless service (not even micro drops given remote nature of work and need to be on conference calls) . We have 4+ rooms that need TV service (currently all on digital cable) but room locations range from basement further corner to 2nd floor rooms.

I don't want to be forced into a mesh solution (I'm already getting the most expensive Premier TV, Gigabit internet & home phone package + 4 more TV receivers). I would like to continue to plug my ASUS RT-AC5300 and need to continue using it's dual band SSID (Arlo Pros, NAS, guest account for frequent visitors, parental controls, MAC ID filtering, etc.). Some other components are on a 16 port switch for hardwired needs.

My question is can I just keep plugging my AC5300 into the new Rogers combo advanced modem and have AC5300 as the access point . I don't want to bridge Rogers' modem because I'm reading wireless TV won't work and I don't mind Rogers modem also broadcasting it's on SSID and not have to enable bridging.

Alternatively - I guess I can stay on grandfathered Digital VIP TV with very old owned digital boxes, Rogers Home Phone, and old 100u internet but monthly bill is currently over $250+.

Thanks for any advice and feedback.

Brian

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The only downside, depending on where you have the modem & the asus.. you might get a little bit of interference wireless signal wise..

But other than that, yes you could leave the rogers one in modem mode.. and set up the ASUS in AP mode to serve the wireless.
I know it would do device filtering, etc.
And the rogers modem would do all the DHCP, etc
Just not sure if anything like any the parental controls will work, when its not acting as the modem, etc.

I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks. Crossing fingers that it all works out and meets our household requirements. Will update with the Ignite experience in the coming weeks to help others. Looking forward to 4K wireless TV and gigabit internet.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@energyman17 fwiw, there are two XB6 modem models that Rogers is now using for the Ignite TV service.   One is the Arris XB6 which is an Intel Puma 7 modem.  The other is the Technicolor XB6 which uses a Broadcom BCM-3390 chipset.  Personal opinion, although the jury is still out on the Technicolour XB6, I'd recommend that over the Arris Puma 7 chipset.  Main reason, the Technicolour XB6 simply isn't an Intel Puma 7 modem.  So, I'd ask the install tech if he or she happened to have the Technicolour XB6 modem available with him or her and ask for that modem to be installed.  

Rogers is now using DOCSIS 3.1 on the downstream side for those modems that support DOCSIS 3.1.  There hasn't been any official indication on whether or not both XB6 modems are running DOCSIS 3.1 for downstream purposes.  That is one question that you could ask of the Ignite Concierge as it may change your mind on switching tv services.

At the present time, the Hitron CODA-4582 is used for 500 Mb/s and gigabit service.  That modem is an Intel Puma 7 modem running DOCSIS 3.1 on the downstream side.  With the introduction of DOCSIS 3.1, we're seeing two cases, either it works, or, its a complete pain.  I've been running one of these modems since Dec 2016 and haven't had any issues with it.  I think a vast majority of customers with this modem don't have issues with it, but, a limited number of customers have nothing but trouble with it.  Its one of those things that you won't know how well its going to work, until you're there.  

In theory DOCSIS 3.1 should be more robust that the traditional DOCSIS 3.0 modem that your currently running.  The DOCSIS 3.1 Orthogonal Frequency Division Multiplex (OFDM) channel runs in the 300 to 500 Mhz band, or just slightly lower while the DOCSIS 3.0 channels that are currently in use run in the 500 to 1000 Mhz band.  So, the question of the day, for those customers who are not having fun with this modem is, "Is this a cable ODFM issue, or is this a modem issue where the modem is just not delivering the goods?"  The jury is still out on this one.  

So, personal opinion, if you switch to the Ignite TV service, and the modem is running DOCSIS 3.1 on the downstream side, and you have problems with it, my guess is that your one of those customers that will have issues with it until the technicians improve the performance of your lower 500 Mhz cable frequency band.  That's usually an external cable and connector issue, but, one can't overlook the internal house cabling and the upstream cable system beyond your home.  In theory, for anyone with RG-59 cabling in their home should gain from the switch as the operating frequency will shift down into a lower frequency range where RG-59 has less cable attenuation, end to end.  If you have RG-6 cabling in your home, then you wouldn't notice any difference. 

So, fwiw, food for thought. 

Edit:  You could ask your immediate neighbours if they happen to have a white CODA-4582 modem for their Rogers service, and if they do, ask if it works for them, or if its nothing but trouble.  That translates to two thumbs up for DOCSIS 3.1, or, two thumbs down for DOCSIS 3.1.  Just depends on what the response is.

I Plan to Stick Around

@Gdkitty wrote:

The only downside, depending on where you have the modem & the asus.. you might get a little bit of interference wireless signal wise..

But other than that, yes you could leave the rogers one in modem mode.. and set up the ASUS in AP mode to serve the wireless.
I know it would do device filtering, etc.
And the rogers modem would do all the DHCP, etc
Just not sure if anything like any the parental controls will work, when its not acting as the modem, etc.

FYI, The Arris remote does also include Parental Controls if that's a requirement.

I Plan to Stick Around

Speaking of Parental Controls, I have had issues with some of my STBs losing randomly WiFi connections , usually late at night around midnight. I couldn't figure out what was going on. The strange thing is that the STB is connected to my new Android Smart TV which was also on my WiFi network which, according to the TVs network set up page, was receiving a "very strong" signal and i was able to access Netflix, YouTube, etc, with no problem.

I finally twigged to the problem when I tried to log onto my router through my phone and received a notice that access was disabled due to the WiFi signal being disabled, It also said to check Parental Controls>Tim\e Management.

So I went to my desktop, logged in to the router (Asus RT-AC68U in AiMesh mode) and looked for the Parental Controls tab under General settings. I couldn't see it so I checked the operating manual which directed me to the General menu and indicated that it should show between the Traffic Manager tab and the USB Application tab. I went back and checked my router and the tab wasn't where it was supposed to be.

So, I went to the Asus support page and went to the online chat. I was then advised that I should click on the AiProtection tab. When I did this I discovered that Parental Controls and Time Management are now sub menus of Parental Controls.

It seems that when you change the router to AiMesh mode it changes the router GUI and adds the AiProtection tab with it's sub-menus which was not on the original GUI.

Now to wait until midnight to see whether disabling Parental Controls and Time Management has solved my issues.

Strange though, because I never enabled either Parental Control or Time Management,
I've Been Here Awhile

Quick up - Ignite Install Experience 

Just a quick shout out to the Rogers technician. He worked hard and had 2 more installs after spending more than 2 hours at our house. He was conscientious and made sure all the STB were working. 

He exchanged the older Hitron model for a Technicolour XB6. He setup STBs but then hit a snag when the diagnostic part couldn't poll all the hard work he did. However we did test internet and 4 TVs - all were working. 

He even installed a TP link AC1750 range extender and also wanted to put 2 POE units as a safeguard but wireless was fine and I already had a POE setup for a PC that didn't have wifi on the 2nd floor so told him no need for his POE set. 

So far no TV freezes (yet...) but running Rogers speed test showed no-where close to 1 Gbps (couldn't even get over 500 Mbs). I will need to plan various tests (Ethernet, wifi, etc.) at different times of day and see what variations arise.

Also will test phone line another day perhaps with a fax send/receive. Last point - little one already figured out voice feature on remote and started Netflix and My Little Pony episodes.

Quick post from Gateway modem: (Can't say I understand it all yet but maybe it helps others that can interpret or compare to their experience.)

Cable Modem

HW Version:2.2
Vendor:Technicolor
BOOT Version:S1TC-3.49.18.14
Core Version:1.0
Model:CGM4140COM
Product Type:XB6
Flash Part:8192 MB
Download Version:CM DOCSIS Application - Prod_17.20_d31 & MTA Application - Prod_17.2
---------------------------------
IndexLock StatusFrequencySNRPower LevelModulation
Downstream
Channel Bonding Value
657 MHz
303 MHz
849 MHz
855 MHz
861 MHz
579 MHz
585 MHz
591 MHz
597 MHz
603 MHz
609 MHz
615 MHz
621 MHz
633 MHz
639 MHz
645 MHz
651 MHz
663 MHz
669 MHz
675 MHz
681 MHz
687 MHz
693 MHz
699 MHz
705 MHz
711 MHz
717 MHz
723 MHz
825 MHz
831 MHz
837 MHz
843 MHz
350 MHz
40.4 dB
42.8 dB
38.5 dB
38.2 dB
37.6 dB
41.3 dB
40.9 dB
40.7 dB
40.5 dB
40.1 dB
40.0 dB
40.1 dB
40.3 dB
40.2 dB
40.2 dB
40.2 dB
40.4 dB
40.1 dB
39.2 dB
38.9 dB
39.6 dB
39.8 dB
39.7 dB
39.8 dB
39.5 dB
39.7 dB
39.8 dB
40.2 dB
38.5 dB
38.1 dB
38.0 dB
38.3 dB
14.8 dB
0.6 dBmV
1.7 dBmV
0.0 dBmV
0.6 dBmV
-1.2 dBmV
0.3 dBmV
0.9 dBmV
-1.0 dBmV
-1.1 dBmV
-1.6 dBmV
-1.9 dBmV
-1.6 dBmV
-1.3 dBmV
-1.2 dBmV
-1.3 dBmV
-1.0 dBmV
0.6 dBmV
-1.1 dBmV
-1.8 dBmV
-2.2 dBmV
-1.8 dBmV
-1.2 dBmV
0.9 dBmV
-1.0 dBmV
-1.5 dBmV
-1.3 dBmV
-1.1 dBmV
0.3 dBmV
0.6 dBmV
0.6 dBmV
0.4 dBmV
0.1 dBmV
1.5 dBmV
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM
OFDM

IndexLock StatusFrequencySymbol RatePower LevelModulationChannel Type

Upstream
Channel Bonding Value
30 MHz
23 MHz
38 MHz
41.3 dBmV
39.8 dBmV
41.5 dBmV
atdma
atdma
tdmaAndAtdma
UpStream
UpStream
UpStream

Highlighted
I've Been Around

I have just set my Ignite modem into bridge mode to use my own router.

I did not change he modems IP address i left it the default 10.0.0.1.

The TV boxes are not connect to the V6 the are connected to the WiFi connection... upon switching to bridge mode and setting up my router, TV stopped working (expected).

What you need to do is pair it up again to your wireless router like you would a new laptop/phone etc.

You can either press the WPS button on the bottom of the boxes and the WPS button on your router.. or reboot the TV boxes, wait for the fail connecting to the internet. This will prompt you to setup the WiFi connection. Once complete everything works as if nothing changed and you can truly use your own router and have 1 network (not two like other have been doing).

I had issues with my IGNITE modem where all of the sudden no device can use the internet... however the TV boxes were not affected. Rogers Tech support they are great but unfortunately could not pin-point the issue, also I found out you cannot just go to a rogers store and exchange modem. This pushed me over the fence to take matters into my own hands to try and find a solution.

I Plan to Stick Around

This looks like the last post on bridging.
I have a very good 2.4g router and was wondering if it might produce better speed for my 2.4g connected devices.
I I have a wireless ignite 500 setup with 4 TVs and two 5g phones and 6 other 2.4g devices.
Everything works but I get faster 2.4g speeds when my laptops are very close to the modem (instead of where they normally reside).
I would like to consider bridge mode for the router to test for faster 2.4g speed to the 2 PCs.
Does anyone know if this is feasible and worthwhile?