cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rogers Ignite + Samsung Nu8000 + Denon AVR-591

candypants2000
I've been around

hello! long time Rogers customer, first time poster.

I had my Rogers Ignite TV set up about 8 months ago, and my setup includes a Samsung NU8000 UHDTV and an older Denon AVR-591. When the technicians came to set up my Ignite, they connected my Ignite box to my TV and then I was told that I had to use an optical cable from the TV to my Denon receiver in order to utilize my surround sound.

However, the Optical cable lost its connectivity, and ive replaced the cable and have had similar connectivity issues. 

There must be a way to connect using HDMI....I had called tech support and was told to connect the Ignite box into my receiver through HDMI, and then HDMI out from my receiver to my TV.

This configuration doesnt seem to work. The TV only seems to recognize optical cables in order to send out the audio signal through my Receiver, but that seems unreasonable. The TV will recognize my Receiver as a home theatre, but cannot seem to send audio through and recognize my Ignite box at the same time. 

I've gone through the menus of all devices and have had no success.

Any help would be appreciated!

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Rogers Ignite + Samsung Nu8000 + Denon AVR-591

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@candypants2000 wrote:

1. I had my Rogers Ignite TV set up about 8 months ago, and my setup includes a Samsung NU8000 UHDTV and an older Denon AVR-591. When the technicians came to set up my Ignite, they connected my Ignite box to my TV and then I was told that I had to use an optical cable from the TV to my Denon receiver in order to utilize my surround sound.

2. However, the Optical cable lost its connectivity, and ive replaced the cable and have had similar connectivity issues. 

3. There must be a way to connect using HDMI....I had called tech support and was told to connect the Ignite box into my receiver through HDMI, and then HDMI out from my receiver to my TV.

This configuration doesnt seem to work.

4. The TV only seems to recognize optical cables in order to send out the audio signal through my Receiver, but that seems unreasonable.

1. They did it this way so that you could get a 4K signal to the TV because your Denon is not 4K compatible. This is the only configuration possible if you want 4K on your TV with your current AVR.

2. I'm not sure why you have an issue, but if it's temporary, it's often very difficult to find a solution. Here's a list of "things to check".  You may have a poor connection issue instead of a bad cable issue.  If there's light shining out the end of the optical cable that you have going to the AVR, then you probably have a signal and you may have an issue with the HDMI connection (unplug/replug the HDMI cable at both ends a few times to ensure a good connection). Also make sure that the TV's audio menu is set up to use the "external speakers" or whatever setting is appropriate to send audio out the optical cable.

https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/30-57s-home-theatre-faqs/19694-faq-things-check-first.html

3. If you connect "through" your AVR via HDMI you will need to set your Ignite box to output 1080i (instead of auto or 4K) and you will not be able to see 4K signals on your TV, only HD.  You should tune to the appropriate input on your AVR and you will also need to configure the audio settings in your Denon to utilize the HDMI input, not the optical input from the TV.  The audio is coming from the Ignite box to the AVR via HDMI, so the optical cable and the TV are not even in play for the audio signal.  The user settings in the AVR are probably currently set to utilize the optical input instead of HDMI.  Check your AVR's operating manual on how to set this up properly if you can't find it yourself.

4. As mentioned in point 3 above, the optical cable doesn't come into play when using HDMI "through" your AVR.

5. I also have an older Denon, but a 4K TV and if I got Ignite I would set it up as indicated in point 1 in order to get 4K.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@candypants2000  What do you have "Settings > Device Settings > Audio > HDMI Audio Output" set to on your Ignite Xi6 set-top box?  It should say "Auto Detect (Dolby Digital 5.1)"  If you have it set to "Expert" or if Auto Detect is using a setting that could send digital audio out in a format that your Denon AVR cannot process, this could be what's causing your audio disconnects.

Also, here are some other links, should you want to try sending audio back to the AVR-591 through the HDMI Audio Return Channel.  On the Samsung TV, it can be a bit tricky to get the digital audio from one HDMI input routed out to your receiver, and the Denon AVR has its quirks as well.  Again, you also need to ensure that the Ignite TV set-top box is sending digital audio in formats that your Denon AVR can process.

https://www.samsung.com/au/support/tv-audio-video/arc-audio-return-channel-port-in-samsung-tv/

https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/Audio-Video/Anynet-HDMI-CEC-and-ARC-not-working/td-p/503583

https://denon-uk.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/964/~/how-do-i-use-arc-with-my-samsung-tv

Searching the Internet for "Denon AVR-591 HDMI ARC" might also be helpful.

Biollw
I'm a senior advisor

I had basically the same kind of set up. Ignite, Denon AVR 591 and a Samsung TV. It was a difficult wiring from ignite box to TV then back to AVR via optical. Still was not the ideal setup. The Samsung TV like to recode the audio not passing it directly back to the AVR as it was.

And then add in the fact of other video inputs, Ultra-blue ray, media player. Now the TV has to also change inputs. 

Just too messed up.

Do youself a favour, go get a new 4k Denon AVR so much easier to deal with than trying to incorporate an old 1080 AVR.

I purchased the Denon AVR-S730H. and now it is all wired the way I would expect it to be. All devices to the AVR then one input on the TV.

Good Luck

Bill

Topic Stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 4 in conversation