cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remote from upstairs box turns on my living room box

Josie4
I've been here awhile

Hello,
I am finding my living room ignite tv on in the middle of the night or in the morning after I’ve shut it off. Realized that when I turned on my bedroom tv it turned on the box and tv downstairs. How do I stop this it’s so annoying to have to go downstairs and keep turning it off.
Thanks

*** Edited Labels *** 

11 REPLIES 11

Re: Remote from upstairs box turns on my living room box

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Josie4  Welcome to the Community!

This shouldn't be happening.  Is is possible that your remotes could have gotten mixed up and that your "Bedroom" remote is paired with your "Living Room" set-top box?  Also, if the "Living Room" STB gets woken from standby, it can turn the TV on using HDMI Device Control / HDMI-CEC.

Can you confirm that you can actually change channels on the Living Room box using your Bedroom remote?

If the Bedroom remote only changes channels on the Bedroom STB, not the Living Room box, then it also could be possible that the Living Room TV turns on when its set-top box reboots after receiving updates overnight.

Biollw
I'm a senior advisor

And what does not make sense is tv are IR and normally can not control it from upstairs.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Biollw wrote:

And what does not make sense is tv are IR and normally can not control it from upstairs.

Check "Settings / Device Settings / Power Preferences / HDMI Device Control (HDMI-CEC)"

If enabled (and it is by default) the Ignite set-top boxes can now turn the TV on when they turn on, and the STBs can now also turn off when you turn your TV off.

Josie4
I've been here awhile
It does not change the channel it only put the tv into the screen saver

Josie4
I've been here awhile
Ok I will try this

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Josie4  Have you also checked to make sure that your TV's firmware is up to date?  It should not turn on when a set-top box reboots.  If HDMI Device Control (HDMI-CEC) is causing issues, you can try disabling it on the set-top box and also in your TV's settings.

Josie4
I've been here awhile
The HDMI did not correct the problem

Hello @Josie4!

That's quite strange. If it's turning on because a command sent by the box, then disabling HDMI-CEC should definitely fix it.

Something else is going on here if the other remote doesn't affect the TV while you're outside the room and HDMI-CEC doesn't resolve it.

Have you tried contacting your TV manufacturer for troubleshooting advice to make sure this isn't a known issue with this particular TV model?

Regards,

RogersCorey

RSparrow
I've been around
I have a similar problem. Often times my AV receiver turns itself on at night. In a few cases after I see it's on I turn the receiver off then one or two seconds later it turns itself on again. This is at 2 or 3 am.
I've isolated the problem to be coming from the Rogers Ignite box. When I isolate the remote at night this event still happens and when I unplug the tv from the Ignite box this still happens. So the only remaining culprit would seem to be the Ignite box.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@RSparrow wrote: ... when I unplug the tv from the Ignite box this still happens. 

This is very strange.  You say you unplug the box from the TV. I assume you mean the HDMI cable?  I would suggest that you turn off the HDMI-CEC feature in the box, in the TV and in the AVR, or at least in the AVR so that it doesn't come on at weird times when perhaps something else comes on.

See item 4 of the following FAQ:

https://www.digitalhome.ca/threads/faq-hdmi-comments-issues.71112/

Would you please explain how each device is connect to the other.  For example IgniteTV Box to TV via HDMI.  TV to AVR via optical or HDMI?  Or IgniteTV box to AVR via HDMI, AVR to TV via HDMI...

What appears to be happening is that the AVR is "seeing" some sort of input signal - say HDMI or perhaps even optical and turning itself on.  If you turn off the AVR and the incoming signal remains, then the AVR may turn itself on again since it still senses a signal.  You should be able to test this by removing the "problem" connection from the back of the AVR.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@RSparrow wrote:
I have a similar problem. Often times my AV receiver turns itself on at night. In a few cases after I see it's on I turn the receiver off then one or two seconds later it turns itself on again. This is at 2 or 3 am.

That is the time when an Ignite set-top box would perform an update that might require it to automatically reboot afterwards.  When that happens, the HDMI link would also reset and that is probably what is causing your receiver to turn on.

Does your receiver also turn on when you power-cycle the Ignite TV box?

You can change the set-top box's Daily Update Time in Settings / Preferences / General

Topic Stats
  • 11 replies
  • 1 Like
  • 6 in conversation