cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Saving shows recorded on PVR to an external hard drive

JWCalvert
I plan to stick around

how to move recordings from my Nextbox to my Explorer 8642HD

I have several recordings on my Nextbox which I want to move to my 8642.

Does anyone know of any method to do this?

Many thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

No, you cannot.  See my earlier post above yours.  Your post was probably moved to this existing thread.  

The NextBox PVR won't even work once you switch to IgniteTV.  You need to unplug it from the cable and plug it into a UPS because it won't even boot once you're on IgniteTV.  If you don't unplug it from cable, Rogers will send a deactivation signal to the box when you switch to IgniteTV.

The only way to save content from the existing NextBox PVR would be via component video to Hauppauge on an HTPC in real time, or to a DVD recorder via composite video, in real time, but the latter would be SD quality, not HD.  I suggest you watch your programming before switching.  Even connected to a UPS, the NextBox PVR will eventually need a reboot and may not work beyond say 3-4 weeks.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

You can't. The programming is encrypted and is "tied" to the PVR on which the programme was recorded.

-duane_harrison
I've been here awhile

Can I backup to external HD from current 4K PVR before getting Ignite box:

I currently have a Rogers 4K HD PVR Nextbox.  We are switching plans to Ignite, and my wife has instructional programs she doesn't want to lose off the PVR.

is there anyway to back up content to an external HD and see on the new box?

Thanks

No, you cannot.  See my earlier post above yours.  Your post was probably moved to this existing thread.  

The NextBox PVR won't even work once you switch to IgniteTV.  You need to unplug it from the cable and plug it into a UPS because it won't even boot once you're on IgniteTV.  If you don't unplug it from cable, Rogers will send a deactivation signal to the box when you switch to IgniteTV.

The only way to save content from the existing NextBox PVR would be via component video to Hauppauge on an HTPC in real time, or to a DVD recorder via composite video, in real time, but the latter would be SD quality, not HD.  I suggest you watch your programming before switching.  Even connected to a UPS, the NextBox PVR will eventually need a reboot and may not work beyond say 3-4 weeks.

elizabethanne
I've been around

I understand that video recorded on a PVR is encrypted in such a way that it can only be played on that device. But as my PVR is full, can I transfer the content to a hard drive and then at some point transfer it back to the same PVR to watch?

@elizabethanne : What is the make/model of your PVR? I suppose it would be possible to take the iHDD out of your PVR, clone it to another HDD using bit for bit recording and then perhaps reverse the process later.  You need to do this using a computer that would allow this process. 

This would need to be done by someone very computer savvy and someone capable of taking the PVR to pieces.

The problem is that even if you were to do this, it's rumoured that digital cable will not be available past the end of this year making the process moot. 

If you're talking about IgniteTV, where the programming is stored in the cloud, this would not be possible.

What would be possible in either case is to have an Hauppauge HTPC making use of the analogue hole and component video connections to record programming in real time from a PVR to the HTPC.  These days most programming is available somewhere on the web, so all of this "archiving" is simply unnecessary and not worthwhile.

Topic Stats
  • 5 replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 4 in conversation