Pros/Cons - Fibe TV vs Rogers Ignite TV

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GRP1
I'm Here A Lot

Re: Pros/Cons - Fibe TV vs Rogers Ignite TV

Thanks all for the responses. I did make the leap to ignite but have 30 days to return my boxes so will copy some of my content to DVD. Can still access all my recordings without box being connected to cable (obviously as it’s a hard drive). At least I can do it offline and don’t have to watch while I record. Appreciate everyone’s input.
GRP1
I'm Here A Lot

On day 3 after converting to ignite but a few glaring deficiencies:
1. PVR controls are extremely frustrating... old cable control would stop on a dime. New controls seem to be +/- 30-60seconds
2. Pause is very limited. When on cable/PVR, I could pause for 2 hours+ and come back and continue where I left off on live TV. Ignite seems to be a much shorter timeframe... maybe < 30 mins.
3. In a program or channel I’ve been watching for sometime, could rewind to the beginning if I wanted to with cable./PVR. With Ignite, it seems I can only go back 10 mins or so with a program I’m watching live. Maybe there’s a setting I need to adjust to change this.
4. Overall, there are positives and negatives with the remote. It could use a few more buttons to make operation easier/more intuitive. Layout is not ideal (I have the XR15)..

Overall, I would rate the switch as neutral (again, it’s only day 2):

Negatives
1. Fewer channels
2. PVR issues
3. Remote issues (center controls, in particular, are awkward ... overall layout is awkward in general)

Positives
1. Modem good (so far ... got the 1GB)
2. Ability to access PVR from all TVs is nice
3. Voice control nice and seems to work pretty well (again early)
4. Set-up was fairly simple but took a little time as each of my TVs have different configurations re: sound
4. So far, quality of service has not been an issue ... haven’t noticed any difference in signal quality.

TBD
1. Resolution of negative issues (maybe there are settings I need to adjust)
2. Better remote available??

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@GRP1 wrote:

On day 3 after converting to ignite but a few glaring deficiencies:
1. PVR controls are extremely frustrating... old cable control would stop on a dime. New controls seem to be +/- 30-60seconds

Not sure what you mean by this.  Might be something that you just need to get used to.  One thing that does not work very well with Ignite TV is if you Rewind and just need to go back a few seconds.  You kinda need to go back 10 seconds or else when you press Play, playback will resume past the point that you wanted to go back to.

2. Pause is very limited. When on cable/PVR, I could pause for 2 hours+ and come back and continue where I left off on live TV. Ignite seems to be a much shorter timeframe... maybe < 30 mins.
3. In a program or channel I’ve been watching for sometime, could rewind to the beginning if I wanted to with cable./PVR. With Ignite, it seems I can only go back 10 mins or so with a program I’m watching live. Maybe there’s a setting I need to adjust to change this.

This limitation goes away if the program that you are watching allows you to Restart.  One nice thing about Rogers Ignite TV is that you can FF and Rew in restart mode so, you can go back to the beginning and fast forward to the point that you were at, and (possibly) have more flexibility than what you had with Digital TV.  When you pause, and it times out while you are in restart mode, you can also (usually) resume watching at the point that you had left off.

4. Overall, there are positives and negatives with the remote. It could use a few more buttons to make operation easier/more intuitive. Layout is not ideal (I have the XR15)..

You might find this helpful: https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/get-to-know-xr11-remote

Overall, I would rate the switch as neutral (again, it’s only day 2):

Fair assessment and comments.  Keep exploring Ignite TV and have fun discovering new things that you could never do with Digital TV!

GRP1
I'm Here A Lot

Thanks G. Appreciate the response and tips. There's definitely an adjustment period and things are becoming more familiar so some of my negatives have diminished. Overall, I think the switch was the right move. I also have an outdoor TV that is not cable accessible so it's nice that I can just connect a box out there and get Rogers instead of just online content (Netflix, Crave, Youtube, etc.). Cheers