Pros/Cons - Fibe TV vs Rogers Ignite TV

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
vertigoreality
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: Pros/Cons - Fibe TV vs Rogers Ignite TV

Well I stand corrected! Thanks. Looks like the remote recording was resolved very recently according to this thread: communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Ignite-TV/WANT-Scheduling-recording-from-phone-app/td-p/441789

I never checked it again after failing to do it earlier last year. 

Re: the web speed - I was told 200Mb was within the acceptable range and that it fluctuates etc... I also had a technician at one point come by as well but he thought it was fine and blamed it on other things like wifi limitations, acceptable fluctuations, range etc.. but that was nonsense as I was doing the 1000Mb before with the same hardware.  Furthermore upload speeds are really underwhelming with Rogers. Trying to upload gopro video to Google drive takes ages. I think Bell fibe has 900Mb uploads. 

Screen Shot 2020-02-29 at 4.39.39 PM.png

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

If you live in an area which has direct fiber to the house, then yes you can get 750mbps uploads.

But if its an area which only can get regular Fibe, your maxing at 10 as well.

Kosyer
I've Been Around

Wow just switched over from Bell Fibe since my bill credits expired and did not want to pay that amount anymore, switched to Rogers as new customers always get the best offers, I thought Ignite TV would be comparable but it is not.

Can't restart past programming, most live programming doesn't offer restart either. If you record a sporting event and it goes over and you don't record the following program then that's it, nothing for you to watch. With Bell Fibe you could just go back in time and restart the program that followed (sure you can't fast forward but at least you can watch it). With Rogers, nothing, can't even see past programming for reference purposes, what a joke. 2 years you've had and offer an inferior product.

Also no app for the Amazon Firestick which Bell offers, what a joke. If you Sideload the app it still won't let you.

When my 3 months are up and I'm considered a new customer with Bell again will gladly jump back, especially since technicians no longer required just plug and play.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Kosyer wrote:
Wow just switched over from Bell Fibe since my bill credits expired and did not want to pay that amount anymore, switched to Rogers as new customers always get the best offers, I thought Ignite TV would be comparable but it is . .

I am also a former Fibe TV customer.  Restarting a specific past program is MUCH easier on Fibe.

Ignite TV is different but it does have A LOT of nice features... although some aspects of its UI are clumsy and awkward.  However, I don't think that there is anything on Fibe TV (at least that I ever did) that I cannot do on Ignite TV.  There are also some functions on Ignite TV that are easier to perform using Voice Control.

Ignite may have also its limitations but Fibe TV does as well.  (I was cursing at Fibe TV's PVR software bugs, glitches and other problems with their service for YEARS until I finally had enough.)

Can't restart past programming, most live programming doesn't offer restart either. If you record a sporting event and it goes over and you don't record the following program then that's it, nothing for you to watch. With Bell Fibe you could just go back in time and restart the program that followed (sure you can't fast forward but at least you can watch it). With Rogers, nothing, can't even see past programming for reference purposes, what a joke. 2 years you've had and offer an inferior product.

You cannot go backwards in the Guide but you can find restartable past programming in the On Demand areas.  The easiest way to access these is to say the name of the past program/event/team name that you want to watch using Voice Commands, then use the Watch options that are available.  You can also press the Rogers (Menu) button and navigate the On Demand content, or press the Menu button and select the "magnifying glass" to perform a manual search.

With Bell Fibe you could just go back in time and restart the program that followed (sure you can't fast forward but at least you can watch it). With Rogers, nothing, can't even see past programming for reference purposes, what a joke. 2 years you've had and offer an inferior product.

The only time that you can't do this is if Rogers does not have the rights to restart a past show.  Fibe TV also has similar limitations as well.  However, unlike Fibe, you can often fast forward through On Demand programming.  This is probably my favorite aspect of Ignite TV.

(One HUGELY maddening thing about Fibe TV was that rewinding on the PVR often caused "Restart" to kick in when it shouldn't.  The you are then stuck in Restart mode and cannot fast forward.  Not a problem with Ignite TV.)

Also no app for the Amazon Firestick which Bell offers, what a joke. If you Sideload the app it still won't let you.

That is true.  Comcast is working on adding support for other streaming devices and smart TVs.  Hopefully Rogers will offer a version of those apps as well.

When my 3 months are up and I'm considered a new customer with Bell again will gladly jump back, especially since technicians no longer required just plug and play.

Ignite TV is different than Fibe TV but if you give it some time and get to know it more, you will eventually learn how to do all the things that you used to do on the other platform... and hopefully even find some things that you really, truly like much better on Ignite TV.

GRP1
I'm Here A Lot

As much as I hate to stick to Rogers, I have just ordered ignite due to the complicated Bell website.  If their process, menu, etc. had been easier to navigate I might have switched ... I just didn't have the patience to figure it out and assume both are comparable at the end of the day.  Quite honestly, I detest both companies and with there was a better option for IPTV.   My one frustration, after being a Roger customer for 20+ years, is that I have a number of things stored on my PVR yet have no option to purchase it.  These are personal things I recorded over the years that will not repeat in the future.  My only option is to record them to DVD in SD as I watch them.  No download/transfer option to any media device.  Overall, Rogers is frustrating but not sure Bell would be any better all said and done.  If someone advises otherwise, I will consider.  Will update once I get Ignite installed and will send my thoughts.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@GRP1 wrote:

My one frustration, after being a Roger customer for 20+ years, is that I have a number of things stored on my PVR yet have no option to purchase it.  These are personal things I recorded over the years that will not repeat in the future.  My only option is to record them to DVD in SD as I watch them.

Another option is to use a video capture device to record analog HD component video to your computer, something like this.  Others in the community might be able to suggest something better and/or more readily available, but that sort of device will produce the highest-quality recording.

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Archived-Posts/Transfer-recording-from-PVR-to-Mac-computer/m-p...

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Ignite-TV/Transfer-Recording-From-Digital-TV-To-Ignite-TV/m-p/...

Your biggest problem now is time.  If you own your PVR, make sure that you unplug the coax cable before activating Ignite TV.  If you do not, Rogers will deauthorize your PVR and you will lose the ability to watch content on it.  If the box crashes or loses power, it will become inactive when it reboots.

Bplayer
I'm a Senior Contributor

Your frustration of losing saved content comes from an emotional/irrational mindset that we all have to greater or lesser extent. Things will be easier if you can get over it. I have tons of CD's, DVD's, and books that I would not want to part with. However, they are mostly sitting there untouched for years.

Be prepared though. Ignite will help you with with these feelings as recordings are automatically deleted one year after being recorded, with no option to extend this time.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Please dont anyone take this as belittling any of the content of what people have saved, as its some times very important things (events, them on tv for something, etc)

One thing some people dont realize, is that the licensing on TV is different than say other things like DVDs.
When you buy a DVD, you are buying a license to OWN that show/movie, on that media.  To keep it 'forever' so to speak.
Compared with TV.  You are actually paying for the license to WATCH it.   You dont technically own a license to own any of it.
With a PVR, etc, there are ways to save it, defer watching it for later, etc.  But still not owned.
And with this, none of them technically have to provide with a way to SAVE it forever.

As the license to watch is set for your household where you are paying for it, so any ways of backing up say of just the files, are encrypted, so to prevent people from just easily saving them then sharing them online to illegal sites, etc.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I am not a lawyer but it is my understanding that in Canada it is still legal to "tape" broadcasts on a "VCR" for personal use.  What you cannot do is broadcast or distribute that content to others.

The content on a PVR is encrypted to prevent easy access to pristine digital copies in order to thwart piracy.

FYI, on many IPTV platforms, it is also technically possible to watermark content, that is recorded to (or played from) a cloud PVR and in some cases when streamed, so that illegally-distributed (pirated) programming material can be traced back.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Correct, as far as I am aware, its not ILLEGAL to make your own copies for personal use (on VHS, etc).

(that doesnt mean that the TV stations, etc, ever since VHS came out where lobbying to MAKE it illegal, etc :P)
But you still dont technically own the rights to that media.

Really as far as I am aware, with rogers, since the 8300? (I think that was the model, its been so long now, the old silver SA PVR box) there hasnt been the specific 'record' out on it, and even that was just a basic non HD video out which played out in real time.
Not an expert on the BELL boxes.. but i know on one of the older ones, there was a way with the ext HDD, you could move from one box to another and would allow playback, but couldnt play from a PC or anything.