Pros/Cons - Fibe TV vs Rogers Ignite TV

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Pros/Cons - Fibe TV vs Rogers Ignite TV

@Glatter wrote:

1. Is Rogers modem/router any better/stronger than Bell's? The Fibe guys were in 3 or 4 times after installation to put in extenders/amplifiers/pods etc. to get the best possible signal to all parts of the house. 

2. One online commentator says that Rogers versions of 4k TSN/SN channels have a lot more blurring than Bell, due to slower FPS rates. Any knowledge if this is true for this or any other reason? 

3. One of my tv's is an old (but still great) plasma with b/g/r cables, no HDMI. 

4. I also have a "spare" tv that doesn't get used much but it works off of an Amazon firestick using the BellFibe App. I take it from the initial post in this chat that Rogers has no equivalent, right?

1. Can't comment, don't have Ignite

2. This may be when there is 1080P feed to the 4K channel?  Shouldn't be an issue with a true 4K signal.

3. The boxes only have an HDMI output port, so you'll need an HDMI to component video converter and probably need to set that box to output 1080i manually, rather than "auto".  If you ask the installer nicely, he may provide the converter if he has one in his truck.

4. Correct, no equivalent at this time.

I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks for your input. If anyone out there has Rogers Ignite and would like to comment on the Wifi strength and stability, whether lost or weak signals are causing any loss of enjoyment with your tv viewing, would be much appreciated.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Glatter wrote:

Thanks for your post. I am a Bell Fibe customer (for one year now with fibre optic direct to the house) but considering going back to Rogers. My main concern with Bell is that the entire TV system works off my WIFI (Home Hub 3000) and it is cranky. Can go off during the last two minutes of a game, or without your knowledge while recording shows ... and generally needs a reboot once a month or so for one issue or another. Was looking to get my TV back on to stable hard-wired coax cable but Rogers now only selling Ignite which is similarly WIFI based. Unfortunately I can't hard-wire my home with CAT5 ethernet cable ... so wondering your take on whether I will gain anything by switching back.

Wi-Fi can be tricky because you only have so many channels available to you in the 2.4 and 5GHz bands and it's all too easy for a neighbour to make changes to their Wi-Fi setup that can have an adverse affect on yours.  The biggest problem with Fibe TV is that you are totally dependent on (and totally stuck with) whatever Wi-Fi solution that Bell provides you with.  Rogers currently offers a similar setup to Bell's: you have a modem/gateway and can expand that device's Wi-Fi coverage with Pods... but you also have other options.

Rogers' solution is more flexible; an Ignite TV set-top box can connect to ANY Wi-Fi network.  Rogers used to offer a mesh network (what they called Wall-to-Wall WiFi, powered by eero) to early Ignite TV customers. The eero mesh solution was configured in bridge mode, Wi-Fi was disabled on the XB6 modem, and the Xi6 set-top boxes connect to the WiFi mesh.

I'm currently using a different Wi-Fi mesh solution with no issues, and I have tested other Wi-Fi configurations as well.  Non-Rogers solutions have limited support from Rogers but they do work... so if you have Wi-Fi hardware that is reliable and provides great coverage in your home, then Ignite TV should work fine with it.

> 1. Is Rogers modem/router any better/stronger than Bell's?

From a Wi-Fi perspective?  No, not really.  It's neither better nor worse.  Also, Wi-Fi power levels are limited by industry regulations.  In most cases your wireless reach is actually limited by power of the transmitter of the device that connects to it.

Re: the Internet service itself, technically, on paper, FTTH has the upper hand over DOCSIS.  Bell's network is IPv4-only whereas Rogers provides both IPv4 and IPv6 connectivity.

I don't know how good Rogers Internet is in your area.  I had a horrendous experience with Bell's DSL service so by Fibe TV experience was not great.  Rogers Internet has been working well for me, my Wi-Fi works well, and my Ignite TV service has been working well.  I have no regrets switching to Ignite TV.

As far as picture quality goes, Ignite TV and Fibe TV each have their advantages and disadvantages.  I would strongly advise that you test-drive Ignite TV in a Rogers store.  Try watching channels/content that you are familiar with.

I've Been Around

I found that Rogers movie information did not include actors whereas Bell does. That is sometimes the reason I will watch a film.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Clare_K_ wrote:

I found that Rogers movie information did not include actors whereas Bell does. That is sometimes the reason I will watch a film.

It usually does but you have to go through a few extra steps:  Press "Info", go to "Movie Info" and click on it, then press the "down" button to go to the "Cast & Crew" section.  You can then click on an actor to see more information about them as well as other movies/TV shows that they appear in.

I've Been Here Awhile

I just switched from Fibe to ignite and I am very picky about picture quality Wi-Fi and internet speed and stability. I am in New Brunswick and it just came out. I am nothing but impressed. Glad I made the switch. Finally Rogers has it right in Atlantic Canada.
Highlighted

Good evening @Woodsie,

Thanks for the awesome feedback!

We're glad you enjoy using your Ignite TV bundle and appreciate you took the time to let us know. 🙂

Cheers!

RogersMaude