Pros/Cons - Fibe TV vs Rogers Ignite TV

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Pros/Cons - Fibe TV vs Rogers Ignite TV

I have both used Bell Fibe and Rogers Ignite TV. I originally went with Bell as I hated the Rogers Navigatr guide as their whole home PVR was slow and clunky. Bell Fibe was a much better TV experience, but I sacrificed much slower internet (even by using their pods) I was really happy with their service but I had some bandwidth issues due to the 50mbps cap. I also had signal issues as the modem had to be upstairs as there was no phone jack on the main floor that I use could use. As a result, I had wireless issues with the 4K box with Bell. However, I was really happy with the guide, and the IPTV technology that it provided over Rogers. When I read about Rogers Ignite TV, I was excited about all the features I could have with faster internet at the same time. Hear are some of the Pros and Cons between both providers that I have found so far. If I have missed any, please feel free to add any. This is soley based on features and benefits and not customer service.

Bell Fibe vs Rogers Ignite TV

Bell
Pros (Rogers does not have)

Ability to go back on the guide and play whatever show I want that I missed within the past 48 hours
Channels are all grouped together by selection (news, movies, sports, etc...) not all over the place.
Has picture in picture when scrolling channels on the guide.
Scrolling through channels is a lot faster than Rogers.
Have access to Bell ALT TV available on Apple TV and Amazon Fire
150 hours in 4K or up to 320 hours in HD (more recording space in HD)
Can change channels less than 30 days
Has 30 seconds fast forward for PVR, or skip backward 7 seconds.
Are able to use 3rd party router and bypass Bell's modem if you wish disabling WiFi and using PPOE on router.
Have some advanced router capabilities like changing the DNS and Dynamic DNS

Cons

Hardware looks dated for the TV receivers (big and bulky)
You will lose your recordings if you PVR is exchanged
Power failures and modem reboots will interrupt your recordings
Recording multiple shows at the same time can put a strain on your internet bandwidth
All remotes except the 4K version need direct line of sight to work

Rogers

Pros (Bell does not have)

Has restart features programming in the future
Has voice commands for searching channels, programs and functions
Has cloud recording not dependent on physical hardware
Remote lights up when touching it to make it easier using it at night
Has faster internet in more areas than Bell does (at least in my area)
Has YouTube available on all the boxes and just the 4K Box
More channels are available in HD than Bell
Has better channel packages, has the ability to switch out individual channels
All Remotes are RF/Bluetooth unlike Bell (just the 4K box)
VOD is much faster than Bell
200 hours of recording in 4K, HD, and/or standard (more recording space in 4K)
You can undelete recordings from your PVR
All receivers are 4K compatible with no difference in cost.

Cons

Slight lag (a few seconds) when changing channels
Rewind options are not as plentiful as Bell
Cloud recordings only good for 1 year
No picture in picture on channel guide
Cannot use 3rd party router and/or put modem into bridging mode.

Router settings are pretty locked down so you can't change your DNS and/or setup Dynamic DNS.

*Added Labels*

I'm a Reliable Contributor

Re: Pros/Cons - Fibe TV vs Rogers Ignite TV

Point:

"Cannot use 3rd party router and/or put modem into bridging mode."

I have my own router and modem is in bridge mode. There are several of us here that have setups this way.

Ignite can skip forward/backward ANY amount you want. Just tell it so.

Nice comparison...Thnx

I'm a Senior Advisor

The point that I see with the issue of how we try to personally configure our home networks to meet our "Internet requirements", by bridging, VPN's, using our own personal mesh equipment and routers and so forth presents a problem for both Bell and Rogers.

Both can be achieved as has been presented by members and experts of the forum that most of these can be worked around, but the reality is that at this point in time, Rogers has compromised its support to home network individual needs in order to not compromise the TV configurations (my opinion anyway).

My reading of information on Bell is that it took a while for users to get a user friendly description of how to get both TV and more complex network set ups by bypassing the Bell Modem totally and just using a modem to convert the Optic fibe to Ethernet and then connect via your own modem via PPOPE (I don't think that is right acronym).

It would be nice if the people who have managed to figure out how to set up personal home networks with our own equipment, could put together a how to, like was done way back with Navigatr.

Great summary.

Bruce

Hello @chomyn,

Great job on the comparison of both IPTV products!

Making a decision between providers can be a daunting one but I am certain this information will help many in deciding which service to go for.

If I could add some clarification to @Biollw  post, there are many users who have their modem in bridged mode with Routers but we cannot guarantee these setups will work so while it is unsupported by Rogers it is possible to make it work. One of the best features of the Voice Remote is the ability to fast forward or rewind to any increment you like just hold the Voice button and say "Forward 3 minutes and 30 seconds" and you can skip through most of the commercials as they tend to be that length of time but it can vary based on the Network/Program.

Thanks for the well thought out post! 😃

RogersTony

I'm a Reliable Contributor

@RogersTony wrote:

Hello @chomyn,

Great job on the comparison of both IPTV products!

Making a decision between providers can be a daunting one but I am certain this information will help many in deciding which service to go for.

If I could add some clarification to @Biollw  post, there are many users who have their modem in bridged mode with Routers but we cannot guarantee these setups will work so while it is unsupported by Rogers it is possible to make it work. One of the best features of the Voice Remote is the ability to fast forward or rewind to any increment you like just hold the Voice button and say "Forward 3 minutes and 30 seconds" and you can skip through most of the commercials as they tend to be that length of time but it can vary based on the Network/Program.

Thanks for the well thought out post! 😃

RogersTony

Then what Rogers needs to do is to provide better functionality in the Gateway so that we can better control our internal networks.  Not locking out all the variables that are needed for each home's unique network requirements.

Yes the voice control is the BEST !

I'm a Senior Advisor

The issue of the personalized network I could see will remain as a challenging one.  The best solution on the Bell side is that you take their modem out of play for the Internet side of things, because they use separate VLans, one for Internet, the other for Home Phone (not the standard phone over copper, but one connected to the hub), and another for Internet.

You use your own router on the Bell, plus some of the routers, you can bridge, some you have to contact Bell to do it from their side - Ignite, you can at least easily bridge, it just creates challenges for the TV side of things and other things.

Neither Bell or Rogers support their customers, when we step outside the standard configuration.

The reason I have read why it is possible to do this with Bell is that they were forced by CRTC to not restrict customers from having Internet from another provider and pay for TV only.  Bell at first said it was not possibly, but over time, they set up the new configurations allowing them to do it.

The reality is that Fibe has been in limited public rollout since last April, and full rollout since Septermber, so they are kind of where Bell was in the beginning.  Rogers can set up for us to be able to configure our own personal network configurations, but at this time, there is no incentive to do so, they are still working with a not fully stable product and their focus will probably have to remain on making the TV, home security, phone and Internet function in a stable manner, keeping everything fairly simple on the phone side and Internet side (can't speek to the home security side of things), and so those who have the technical skills have found work arounds, but if you call in for support on any of your servicess if you have Ignite TV, if you have made changes, support stops dead in its tracks until you set it back to orginal configurations.

Maybe more freedom will come later to allow us to establish networks that meet our needs, not just the basic home user who is fine with the basic setups.  and maybe along the way, Rogers will have to move to unbundling Internet and Ignite TV as Bell was, allowing more flexibility for us to choose the network provider that can best meet our needs, or flexibility to configure Rogers to meet our home network needs, while having the TV provider of our choice.

Then the only advantage of bundling is the price and we have to figure out for ourselves how best to obtain suppport for our services.  Over time, I see some of us with higher demands for individual network needs, finding technicians to do the work for us.  Once a stable solution is known for various mixes of home services, I have no doubt that private consultants will come into play.  Kind of like some people still work on their own cars, some go with the dealer, some use their own mechanic.

With time, it will stabalize, at least until the next major technological shift.

Bruce

I Plan to Stick Around

I'd like to add an update that you can put the Rogers modem into bridging mode and still use your own router with custom DNS setting and your can still pair your Ignite boxes with the router you own using WPS.  It's so simple and I'm surprised that it actually works.  There is no special configuration that you need for this to work.  Just setup the router as it's connecting to a regular modem.