Port Forwarding Problem with Ignite XB6 Modem

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm Here A Lot

Port Forwarding Problem with Ignite XB6 Modem

Hello!
I got the new Ignite modem today. My previous one was Hitron from Rogers as well. I'm forwarding many ports (remote desktop to multiple computers, DistStation services). Unfortunately, I can't make it work using the new modem. The following error occurs while saving the port forwarding configuration:
"Please enter a value more than or equal to Start Port.".
My external port numbers (start port) larger than the end port numbers. For example, I'm forwarding port 5000 to 3386.  It  was working with all my old routers. However, if the end port value more more than start port, it doesn't forward the ports and remote desktop fails to connect. Please let me know if you experience the same problem or it's just me.

Thanks,

Michael

***Added Labels***

Re: Port Forwarding Problem with Ignite XB6 Modem

Hey @impr2003!

Grats on getting the new Ignite service! As someone who's had his fair share of remote connection issues due to port forwarding in the past, I wholeheartedly feel your frustration here. In this particular circumstance you will need to set the port forwarding as indicated, forwarding port ranges lowest to highest ex: PORT: 3386 to PORT: 5000. This should open the required ports as necessary. In addition to this UPnP is enabled so the most common ports will forward automatically. Once you have set the necessary TCP/UDP values in Port Forwarding, it's possible you may need to reboot the network. Once done, to determine if the port is open, you can type "netstat -a" in command prompt and press "Enter." You'll see a list of all open TCP and UDP ports. Let us know if the ports required are displayed as "LISTENING" under the "State" column.

If it's showing as open can you confirm for us if you're able to ping one of the required hosts?

@RogersAndy

I'm Here A Lot

Thank you for your response!

Here is what I've done.

Start Port : 3389 (Remote desktop port)

End Port : 5000 (Public port)

The router was rebooted. Port 3389 is in listening state. However, remote desktop can't connect to

to the remote computer. I'm connecting to "MyIPAddress":5000

I'm Here A Lot

One more comment. 

It works If my remote computer connection string is "MyIPAddress". I've got more than one PC and I need to connect to specific one. That's why I'm using the public ports. I tried to add one more forwarding rule for my second pc ( it was a different local IP address) but the following error occurs:

Conflict with other Port Forwarding service. Please check port and IP!

start port: 3389

end port: 5001

I'm attaching my Hitron forwarding rules screenshot. This modem is different and I don't get it.hitron2.jpg

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@impr2003 can you have a look at the bottom of your modem to see what model you have?  There are two XB6 versions in use by Rogers, the Arris XB6 which is a Puma 7 modem, same as the Hitron Coda-4582, and the Technicolor XB6 which uses a Broadcom BCM-3390 chipset. 

I'm Here A Lot

It's Technicolor CGM4140COM

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Ok, that partly explains why you're running into different port forwarding processing.  Its possible that swapping to the Arris XB6 might result in the same port forwarding rule processing that the Hitron modem uses.  By "processing" I'm referring to the methods employed by the firmware that process the entered forwarding rules.  There is no guarantee that swapping to the Arris will return you to the same point, so to speak, but, it might be worth a try.  If you used the white CODA-4582 previously, that's an Intel Puma 7 modem, same as the Arris XB6.  Given that the Intel software development kit used to develop any Intel Puma 7 modem is the same, with minor variations for different modem models (hardware wise), hopefully the processing for port forwarding is the same for both Hitron and Arris modems.  Just to note, despite the problems that your experiencing, the Technicolor modem should be the better choice of the two modems.   I'd keep experimenting with the Technicolor modem until you've exhausted all possibilities. 

I'm Here A Lot

Thank you! I’ll keep scratching my head😂

I Plan to Stick Around

It’s a software limitation right now. You can’t redirect the port with the XB6. I am hoping this is fixed via firmware soon.