Poor Video Quality Casting Ignite TV to Chromecast with Google TV

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sidiam
I've Been Here Awhile

Poor Video Quality Casting Ignite TV to Chromecast with Google TV

Hi all,

I have had a Chromecast for some time now and casting to it from the ignite TV app works great.

I recently updated to the "Chromecast with Google TV" and now when I try casting, I get maybe 360p video quality at best. This pretty much makes sports unwatchable!

Only the ignite TV app does this. All other apps, NETFLIX, Disney, YouTube, all work fine. All casting is being done from the same device. 

I did work with Google support for a couple hours on this and they had me try several things, but there was no improvement.  They finally said that there must be some new settings in the Chromecast with Google TV that the ignite TV app is incompatible with. 

Shame on google for not making their devices backwards compatible, but they won't investigate further when other apps are working.

Is anyone else having this problem? 

--Sid

ColdGranite
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Poor Video Quality Casting Ignite TV to Chromecast with Google TV

Hi, welcome to the forums.

I have Chromecast but not the Google TV version.

I am hoping others here will chime in... but my first impression is that this is more likely to be a connection problem than a device problem.

Did google have you try different locations within your space? ... near to the WIFI router, and distant from the router, etc. ???  Did that make any difference?  I realize that you say other apps work okay, but does distance make any difference for the Ignite app?

Sidiam
I've Been Here Awhile

Hi ColdGranite,

Thanks for the reply.

Google had me verify that both devices were on the same network and the same mesh device. We even tried using my wired desktop as the casting source and same problem. We also ran a speed test and I am getting 170 Mbps down on the Chromecast.

Just in case though, I went out and bought an adapter to make the Chromecast with Google TV wired. I now get 300 Mbps down. Same problem though, even when casting from my wired desktop.

--Sid

ColdGranite
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Sidiam wrote:

Hi ColdGranite,

Thanks for the reply.

Google had me verify that both devices were on the same network and the same mesh device. We even tried using my wired desktop as the casting source and same problem. We also ran a speed test and I am getting 170 Mbps down on the Chromecast.

Just in case though, I went out and bought an adapter to make the Chromecast with Google TV wired. I now get 300 Mbps down. Same problem though, even when casting from my wired desktop.

--Sid

Did Google lead you through the "display and sound" settings for the device?

There are some reports around the internet about display issues solved with a "match content" setting, described here:  

https://www.gadgethacks.com/how-to/does-picture-look-weird-your-chromecast-with-google-tv-heres-fix-...

Sidiam
I've Been Here Awhile

Yes, they had me check that. However my device does not have that setting;

pic.jpg

They seemed surprised by this, but assumed it must have changed in a recent update.

SDR is the only option for dynamic range format. The other option for color format is RBG 8 bit; I tried both. I also tried turning game mode on under the advanced settings.

Another thought; the Chromecast with Google TV has a limited play store, but I did find that the Bell Fibe TV app is available. Rogers Ignite TV is not. Since this is an Android device I tried side-loading the ignite TV app, but it would not run. If Rogers ported the ignite TV app to the Chromecast with Google TV, there would be no need to cast and problem solved. I have seen this discussed in other forums, but nothing on this one.  Anyone heard anything about this?

Thanks,

Sid