cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poor Video Quality Casting Ignite TV to Chromecast with Google TV

Sidiam
I plan to stick around

Hi all,

I have had a Chromecast for some time now and casting to it from the ignite TV app works great.

I recently updated to the "Chromecast with Google TV" and now when I try casting, I get maybe 360p video quality at best. This pretty much makes sports unwatchable!

Only the ignite TV app does this. All other apps, NETFLIX, Disney, YouTube, all work fine. All casting is being done from the same device. 

I did work with Google support for a couple hours on this and they had me try several things, but there was no improvement.  They finally said that there must be some new settings in the Chromecast with Google TV that the ignite TV app is incompatible with. 

Shame on google for not making their devices backwards compatible, but they won't investigate further when other apps are working.

Is anyone else having this problem? 

--Sid

23 REPLIES 23

Re: Poor Video Quality Casting Ignite TV to Chromecast with Google TV

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@altimatic  I think the problem with this breakage is that it was out of Rogers hands.  Comcast customers were affected as well, as were other X1 licensees.  Ignite TV is not like Digital TV; Rogers does not control the infrastructure end-to-end, and much of it runs in the cloud and on infrastructure and services controlled by 3rd-party cloud service providers.  Comcast makes changes according to their own roadmap and on their own schedule, and sometimes things break that are also outside of Comcast's control.  If there is something about the Ignite TV service or the hardware that you or I do not like or want changed, Rogers can't fix it themselves.  Rogers is not driving the bus; they are just along for the ride, wherever it goes, and sometimes they get dragged underneath.

Rogers does own customer support.  However, it does not sound like their tier-1 agents understood what was actually causing the problem or knew how to go about getting it fixed.

altimatic
I plan to stick around

Respectfully, I don't need education on how Ignite TV works.  Second, I also do not care that it's also happening to Comcast customers as I am a Rogers customer.  Here's the very bottom line... this is sold to us customers as a product/service by Rogers.  It is therefore Rogers' absolute responsibility to support it, PERIOD.  If their customers are having issues, it's their technical support team's responsibility to escalate it and pursue a resolution to the issue.  Furthermore, if they are doing so... then there absolutely has to be communication between different tiers of their support group so everyone is informed, and in turn can be relayed to their Ignite TV customers.  

Defending Rogers for not properly supporting or communication on issues about own product/service offering is not acceptable.  Sorry.  Customers don't care how Rogers resolves it.  Your argument about hardware or service changing and Rogers shouldn't be blamed is ignorant.  Rogers is responsible for choosing the product to offer its customers.  Rogers is the one who is responsible for testing the product before implementing it.  And Rogers is the one responsible for signing the contracts if they did partner to adapt a 3rd party service.  If there's a problem with it, you're absolutely wrong... Rogers IS responsible and IS the one that answers to their customers.

And BTW, I am a 20+ year IT professional who's been involved in many implementations.  I know this first hand from experience.  Users don't care who broke it and why.  What they care is knowing when it will be fixed (and rightfully so).

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@altimatic wrote:

Respectfully, I don't need education on how Ignite TV works.  Second, I also do not care that it's also happening to Comcast customers as I am a Rogers customer.  Here's the very bottom line... this is sold to us customers as a product/service by Rogers.  It is therefore Rogers' absolute responsibility to support it, PERIOD.  If their customers are having issues, it's their technical support team's responsibility to escalate it and pursue a resolution to the issue.  Furthermore, if they are doing so... then there absolutely has to be communication between different tiers of their support group so everyone is informed, and in turn can be relayed to their Ignite TV customers.  

Defending Rogers for not properly supporting or communication on issues about own product/service offering is not acceptable.  Sorry.  Customers don't care how Rogers resolves it.  Your argument about hardware or service changing and Rogers shouldn't be blamed is ignorant.  Rogers is responsible for choosing the product to offer its customers.  Rogers is the one who is responsible for testing the product before implementing it.  And Rogers is the one responsible for signing the contracts if they did partner to adapt a 3rd party service.  If there's a problem with it, you're absolutely wrong... Rogers IS responsible and IS the one that answers to their customers.

And BTW, I am a 20+ year IT professional who's been involved in many implementations.  I know this first hand from experience.  Users don't care who broke it and why.  What they care is knowing when it will be fixed (and rightfully so).

I'm not trying to defend Rogers.  As a customer myself, I get frustrated by the same issues that you do.  I dislike many of the design decisions that Comcast made, that Rogers does not have full control over the Ignite TV service, and find it maddening that Rogers has no leverage whatsoever to make any changes or improvements.

Topic Stats
  • 23 replies
  • 5 Likes
  • 8 in conversation