Pause function - Ignite tv

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Pause function - Ignite tv

@minstrel27 :  Your post was probably moved to this existing thread on the topic. Please see earlier posts for discussion, especially post 2.

Bell is different because the programme is recorded on a physical device in your home, whereas Ignite is "in the cloud".

I've Been Here Awhile

Where is the stop button on the remote?
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

There isnt one.

On any recording, hitting pause will 'stop' it.  It shouldnt resume playback.
(vs say on live.. the pause will only hold temporary, then it will resume after a period)

My usual thing, if I am not finishing a recording, is to hit pause, then exit, which will take back to the list, etc.

I've Been Here Awhile

thanks, that works for me, still kinda strange however that the didn't put a stop button near the pause  

I've Been Here Awhile

On the IgniteTV box, if I pause something I've recorded for too long -- by too long I mean like 5 minutes -- it just stops and goes back to normal TV.

This is NOT what I want  If I've asked it to pause something I'm watching from a recording, it should pause until I tell it otherwise.

Is there a way to fix this?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@disco_stu : Looks like your post was moved to this existing thread. There is no way to "fix" this since IgniteTV uses servers in the cloud and any function that goes on for too long would require additional servers at additional cost, therefore a balance between functionality and cost needs to be found.  If you're going to be away from the TV for more than a few minutes, you'll need to stop the programme and resume.

I've Been Here Awhile

@57  Actually your answer is not very correct. I'm a software architect.  I design software for a living.

If I designed this, all I would do is keep the time index in memory when the user pressed pause (it was paused at 23 minutes 2 seconds and 739 milliseconds).  I would stop streaming from the server and keep any pre-fetched (buffered) content in memory as well.  I could keep this state forever and wouldn't need continuously stream the recording from the cloud server.   When the user pressed play, after 3 minutes or even 3 hours, I would start streaming from where I left off.  No extra cloud server resources would be required while the recorded program is paused.

Obviously this would be different than pausing live TV.  In that case, you cannot do an indefinite pause because the device has limited memory to buffer/cach the paused live tv content.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@disco_stu  maybe Rogers should hire you 🙂

I've Been Here Awhile

@Datalink😜 for the right salary

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@disco_stu wrote:

If I designed this, all I would do is keep the time index in memory when the user pressed pause (it was paused at 23 minutes 2 seconds and 739 milliseconds).  I would stop streaming from the server and keep any pre-fetched (buffered) content in memory as well.  I could keep this state forever and wouldn't need continuously stream the recording from the cloud server.   

I'm not sure exactly how all this works.  A time index might be OK provided the programme stays on the server (in it's original state). If it's not needed on the server (by other customers), then that's a different story and you'd need to leave the programme there for you alone. 

I'm not sure how much of the programme could be kept in the local STB buffer, but I believe it's not much - say 15 minutes.

I believe that after the programme is over, it's "moved" into an "on-demand" state where commercials may be present and not available for skipping, etc. depending on rights granted by the rights holder.  I'm sure you wouldn't like to watch commercials just because you pause TV for a longer time and who knows if your "pointer" would be able to find the programme in the "new location/state".