cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PVR recordings suddenly have 1 year expiry

ddff11111
I plan to stick around

Unbelievable. Rogers suddenly now deletes recordings once they are 365 days old.

For some this isn't a big deal but it's a deal breaker for me.

Horrible. Will definitely look at cancelling now.

*Added Labels*

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: PVR recordings suddenly have 1 year expiry

ddff11111
I plan to stick around

Then I stand corrected. Never seen the 1 year expiry that's indicated in the actual ignite TV guide when setting up a recording. Perhaps that's new to remind everyone of the policy.

Thanks

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@ddff11111 wrote:

Unbelievable. Rogers suddenly now deletes recordings once they are 365 days old.

Actually, this has been an Ignite TV "feature" since the very beginning:

https://www.rogers.com/support/iptv/how-to-record-shows-and-movies-with-ignite-tv

https://www.rogers.com/support/tv/managing-ignite-tv-recordings

It's also a Comcast limitation.  They don't say why but, you will find that if you play recordings that are about to expire and press Pause, the program info shown will not match the metadata that is stored with that program in the recorded program list.  I don't know what other weird issues might start to manifest if recordings were allowed to remain stored indefinitely.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@ddff11111 wrote:

As mentioned by @-G- , IgniteTV has always been this way. Also, as indicated in the link, you get up to 200 hours. Here's the direct link:

https://www.rogers.com/support/iptv/how-to-record-shows-and-movies-with-ignite-tv

Although some people like to archive programming, a PVR has always been designed as a timeshifting device, not an archiving device. These days though, almost everything is available on the web, so it's not as big a deal as it once was.  

From the link:

• All recordings are kept in your Cloud PVR for one year, or until you reach the 200-hour limit.
  • Once the limit is reached, your recordings will start being automatically deleted, beginning with the oldest.

ddff11111
I plan to stick around
I have recordings older than a year....

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

You do?  Each of my wife's yoga practice recordings were deleted as the year passed.  Make sure you aren't mixing up month and day.

If I haven't watched something by the time a few months have passed, it's unlikely I will ever get around to it, so I delete them so they don't clutter up my list.

My wife does the yoga practices again, but they re-air, or different ones air, or some are on YouTube, etc, so she hasn't minded that they disappear after a year.

ddff11111
I plan to stick around

Then I stand corrected. Never seen the 1 year expiry that's indicated in the actual ignite TV guide when setting up a recording. Perhaps that's new to remind everyone of the policy.

Thanks

ddff11111
I plan to stick around
I thought this was the case. I have no evidence so I can't support it. I am wrong.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@ddff11111 wrote:

...Never seen the 1 year expiry that's indicated in the actual ignite TV guide when setting up a recording...

You may just not have noticed it.  I've had IgniteTV for a bit over a year and it's been there all the time, as has the option to delete as needed.

ddff11111
I plan to stick around
Yes I'll take your word for it. I've had it now for 3 years. Never saw the (1 year expiry) that's not indicated when you set the recording etc.

Thanks for everyone's help and education.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@ddff11111 wrote:
...Never saw the (1 year expiry) that's not indicated when you set the recording etc.

It depends on how you set your recordings. For example, if you use the guide to go to a programme and simply press the red record button, you will get a notice that your recording is set and nothing more.

If, however, you set up a series recording, various options come up regarding HD, Channel, start time, stop time and how long you wish to keep - either until needed, or 1 year, (whichever comes first).

mebe
I'm a trusted contributor
I assume that you have a digital legacy PVR like me.

I also have recordings more than a year old (Aug 2021 is my oldest recording currently).

However, now that legacy tv is going away in less than a year, I have to start watching all my recordings before it's too late.

Easy come, but hard to let go.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@mebe : The OP has IgniteTV.  Let's not confuse other people who will read this thread.

mebe
I'm a trusted contributor
@57: If the OP truly has IgniteTV, then as you already mentioned, I would also assume that the recorded date was misread. Nothing confusing here. IgniteTV deletes after a year, Dig. legacy PVR does not (if set correctly).

If any IgniteTV user has recordings older than a year, try playing them to see if they actually still play. Not a believer for now.

ddff11111
I plan to stick around
I already conceded that I'm incorrect. Thanks

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Didn't seem worth creating another thread for this bit of news but be glad that you are not a Fibe TV customer... because starting May 1, their cloud PVR recordings will expire in only 60 days!

https://toronto.citynews.ca/2024/04/05/bell-fibe-to-delete-viewers-saved-tv-shows-after-60-day/

https://support.bell.ca/fibe_tv/receivers/about_fibe_tv_cloud_pvr

This move does not make any (technical) sense.  They are only reducing the expiry time, not reducing the amount of storage that customers get.  Me thinks that a new offering will soon follow allowing customers extend the expiry time back to one year for a "nominal" fee.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Since they say in the article: "nearly all” recordings takes place within 60 days." why bother with this move which serves only to anger their customers?

I guess more people "archive" instead of "timeshift" than they anticipated?  I do get it, but in this instance it seems petty.  Perhaps they were running out of server space and needed to do something quickly.

Rogers says it's staying with 200 hours, 356 days.

Topic Stats
  • 15 replies
  • 14 Likes
  • 4 in conversation