Our Ignite Freezes Up After 9PM

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Around

Our Ignite Freezes Up After 9PM

We have an ongoing problem with Rogers Ignite.

We have had 4 techs visit our house.

One more coming this afternoon

They have done all the testing, diagnostics, switched out the modem, new cables coming in etc

Still we have a regular freezing that happens after 9PM.

By freezing I mean we are watching TV and the channel just freezes, not buffering.

The only resolution is to turn of the TV and unplug the modem , wait 30 seconds, and reverse the process.

Rogers has tested the modems, the signal coming in, useage in the area everything they can think of.

Today they are coming to swap out my set top boxes.

I think this is a desperation move.

BTW , they asked me if I have any low flying aircraft in the area. I kid you not.

We are 99.% ready to cut the cable.

*Added Labels*

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Our Ignite Freezes Up After 9PM

1. Does this happen at exactly the same time every day - say 9:06PM?  If it does, look for something that starts operating at that time in your home, or perhaps even your neighbour.  A large motor or something can cause electromagnetic interference.

2. If it happens at roughly the same time every day - say 9-11PM, then it may be a connection that becomes poor as it cools down (thermo-expansion/contraction of metals). This can affect a cable adversely if a connection is borderline and show a good signal during the day.

These sorts of temporary glitches can often be very difficult to track down.  We once had a tree branch come down on a neighbourhood cable line that caused just this sort of problem - as it cooled, the signal went bad.

3. Have you talked to your neighbours?  Do they encounter anything similar?  That's how I tracked down the branch issue mentioned above because it affected more than my home.

4. Are you using WiFi to connect the boxes?  Have you had the WiFi signal checked to the boxes (if the coax incoming signal is fine).  Again, something may be affecting the WiFi at that time of day.

5. Is it possible to connect one or more of the boxes via Ethernet cable instead of WiFi?

I Plan to Stick Around

@FedupwithIgnite wrote:

Another possible source of interference could be something like a wireless baby camera/monitor getting turned on.

I've Been Around

After another 7 days of Rogers trying to fix the problem we have decided to move to Bell . Basically we love the service but it just doesn't work after  9 PM. Over 20+ years with Rogers.

@-G- wrote:

@FedupwithIgnite wrote:

Another possible source of interference could be something like a wireless baby camera/monitor getting turned on.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yeah.. not working after 9 is not normal.
At my home, thats the MAIN time that most of our watching goes on (between 9-11) and dont have an issue.

So I dont think its a specific to the service  itself.

I agree, that its something else more going on at play. 
That there was interference.. or something else more going on, that was effecting the signal overall for the internet, etc in the area during that time.

HOPEFULLY you dont run into the same with Bell.  As long as their infrastructure is decent in your area.
Some of the bell stuff runs off wireless though as well, so hopefully its not an interference issue, or it could possibly effect there too.

Hi @anonymouslykyle,

Thanks for posting and we're super sad that it's regarding your decision to cancel services with us, especially after being in the Rogers family for 20 years!! It's never nice to see one of our valued customers leave due to a disappointing experience. 😔

I wish we had known of your problem here in the Community Forums prior to your cancellation, as perhaps, we could have provided you with some advice or helped troubleshoot your issue further. Should you ever have a change of heart and would like to give us another go, we'll be most happy to welcome you back again, and hopefully, your experience will be the opposite of this one. 🙂

Wishing you all the best!

RogersLaura