cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Number of Ignite TV Boxes Affect Overall Internet Speed?

Feejai
I plan to stick around

Sorry if this is a duplicate, I tried doing a search on the subject but didn't find the answer.

Can you advise if the Ignite TV service (looking at 4 Ignite boxes installed) will affect the overall internet speed?  I currently have 1Gbps internet service with Rogers, but will the Ignite TV boxes take away bandwidth from my internet service or are they put on their own separate service?

**Labels Added**

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Number of Ignite TV Boxes Affect Overall Internet Speed?

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Feejai wrote:

Sorry if this is a duplicate, I tried doing a search on the subject but didn't find the answer.

Can you advise if the Ignite TV service (looking at 4 Ignite boxes installed) will affect the overall internet speed?  I currently have 1Gbps internet service with Rogers, but will the Ignite TV boxes take away bandwidth from my internet service or are they put on their own separate service?

The Ignite TV set-top boxes use your Internet connection and in-home network just like an Apple TV or Roku streaming box would.  However, streams for HD channels use less than 10Mb/s of bandwidth and 4K channels use less than 25Mb/s, so their impact on your available bandwidth is fairly negligible.

For me, I have 3 STBs and the 150u service.  My Internet speed tests routinely measure 190-200Mb/s so even with all three boxes active, I'm still seeing the advertised speed or better for Internet.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Feejai wrote:

The Ignite TV set-top boxes use your Internet connection and in-home network just like an Apple TV or Roku streaming box would.  However, streams for HD channels use less than 10Mb/s of bandwidth and 4K channels use less than 25Mb/s, so their impact on your available bandwidth is fairly negligible.

For me, I have 3 STBs and the 150u service.  My Internet speed tests routinely measure 190-200Mb/s so even with all three boxes active, I'm still seeing the advertised speed or better for Internet.

Biollw
I'm a senior advisor

And with the tv it is a surge then nothing then surge again...rinse repeat. So it is not a constant download.

Feejai
I plan to stick around

Thank you for taking the time to respond.

Gus5
I've been around

Im getting a 4K TV and I find it crazy that 25 mb/s down is enough for 4K. Is it possible to broadcast proper 4K with only 25 mb/s down?

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Gus5 wrote:

Im getting a 4K TV and I find it crazy that 25 mb/s down is enough for 4K. Is it possible to broadcast proper 4K with only 25 mb/s down?

When encoded with a modern codec and streamed, yes.  It may be  a lower bitrate than 4K Blu-ray but a typical bitrate for streaming video.  Netflix also streams 4K content at 25 Mb/s: https://help.netflix.com/en/node/13444

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

When I connect to YouTube to watch videos, my connection is usually around 30 mbps, which easily handles their 4K content. As a matter of fact, with my TV's YouTube app I can see the buffering as well as the connection "portal" and the full connection is not always active (it comes through in dribs and drabs).  On my TV, when streaming a video, this information is under "More - Stats for Nerds".

Topic Stats
  • 6 replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 5 in conversation