No VPN connection possible using new Rogers Ignite Cable Modem/Router

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
andrew091163
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: No VPN connection possible using new Rogers Ignite Cable Modem/Router

Well. As soon as you put Roger's "modem" to bridge mode, you lose support. My internet kept dropping every night. I called support they sent me to no where - "Roger's does not support bridge mode".
-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: No VPN connection possible using new Rogers Ignite Cable Modem/Router

@andrew091163 wrote:
Well. As soon as you put Roger's "modem" to bridge mode, you lose support. My internet kept dropping every night. I called support they sent me to no where - "Roger's does not support bridge mode".

Bridge mode does complicate support.  I use it.  However, I will never be calling Rogers for help with WiFi problems.  When I do need their help to resolve a technical problem, I can quickly revert back to a configuration that they can support and where they can run their tests to troubleshoot problems.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: VPN not working on new ignite wifi hub CGM4140COM Technicolor

@Magssss wrote:

Thank you for that, now I know there's nothing it can be done.

The Ignite XB6 gateway may not have explicit settings for VPN pass-through but VPN clients should work, and you also should be able to get at least some assistance from Tech Support.

If a tech support agent says that VPN clients will not work, that's a bit disturbing.  Furthermore, if you log into the XB6 gateway and go to "Gateway > Firewall > IPv4", even the "Maximum Security" setting has rules in place that should pass many types of VPN traffic.

Magssss
I'm Here A Lot

Success !!

I was finally able to connect to VPN on my Mac using VPN manual configuration and IKEv2 protocol.

RogersCorey

Awesome! 

I'm glad to hear it @Magssss.

Security and encryption are key! Thank you for letting us know your issue was resolved.

Regards,

RogersCorey

Linuxguru
I Plan to Stick Around

Something changed. I was unable to browse after connecting to a VPN. Either Rogers updated the modem or my VPN updated their servers. Now browsing on a VPN works fine!

Linuxguru
I Plan to Stick Around

VPN browsing back off again today. Don't know what is happening

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Linuxguru wrote:

VPN browsing back off again today. Don't know what is happening

Which VPN service(s) are you using and what VPN protocol(s) are you using?  Did the session drop after a certain period of time or did things break if/when you have multiple VPN sessions active?

Comcast says that VPNs are supported on their gateways but there is no information on how VPN support is enabled in the XB6 or how they handle VPN Passthough / VPN NAT traversal, which requires special support in the firewall software in order to run multiple concurrent VPN sessions when using some VPN protocols.

Linuxguru
I Plan to Stick Around

Openvpn in a Linux konsole. UDP or /TCP as I wish. Never more than 1 connection at a time and only on 1 PC.

My VPN service assure me they have made no changes recently.

This morning I tried to browse with TCP and couldn't. Switched to UDP and browsing failed again.

Just connected with TCP [4 hours later] on the same PC and it is woking now. Currently connected here and it is working [now I tried UDP].