No VPN connection possible using new Rogers Ignite Cable Modem/Router

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: No VPN connection possible using new Rogers Ignite Cable Modem/Router

@amlabc wrote:

did you have any specific settings to make this work? I find my forticlient drops frequently.

Hi, and welcome to the Community!

Do you have Protected Browsing enabled?  If so, try disabling it.  (For more info, click here.)

If the Ignite Gateway's internal firewall is blocking network connections, it might log some information that may help in troubleshooting.  To view the firewall logs, go to http://10.0.0.1/ and log into the router as "admin", then go to "Troubleshooting > Logs" and view the Firewall Logs for the Last week.

Also, which version of the Ignite XB6 gateway do you have, the Arris TG3482G or the Technicolor CGM4141ROG?  These two routers look identical on the outside but internally, they are based on completely different hardware and software.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: No VPN connection possible using new Rogers Ignite Cable Modem/Router

@amlabc  One other thing to check: What do you have set in your VPN client's NAT Traversal and Keepalive settings?

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

VPN not working on new ignite wifi hub CGM4140COM Technicolor

Hello, I just upgraded the modem and cannot get my VPN to work, never had issues with the old modem. The settings seem very limited.

Is there a solution to this?

Thank you

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: VPN not working on new ignite wifi hub CGM4140COM Technicolor

@Magssss wrote:

Hello, I just upgraded the modem and cannot get my VPN to work, never had issues with the old modem. The settings seem very limited.

Hi, and welcome to the Community!

Other users have also reported problems with their VPN clients not working with the Ignite XB6 gateway and the topic is actively being discussed in this thread ; their VPN client typically either cannot connect, the connection drops after a period of time, or some have problems running multiple VPN clients simultaneously.

Is there a solution to this?

That depends on which VPN client you are using and the underlying protocol that it uses.  Sometimes you can work around the problem through your VPN client's settings.  (These usually have to do with resolving problems related to NAT traversal and/or VPN pass-through support.)  In the most extreme cases where a workaround is not possible, you may need to enable Bridge Mode on the XB6 and install a separate router that does work with your VPN client.

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

It seems like there's no solution to this. The issues are with this new modem not allowing VPN connections. I might have to leave Rogers if this is their new way. It is so ridiculous when now a days everyone is using VPN's

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Contributor

I run a couple of different VPNs to client's networks, what VPN client are you using?

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

thanks

BoxPN

i contacted them to see if they can figure it out. 

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The Ignite modem DOES support VPNs... it just may have issues with specific ones/protocols.

I currently run up to two of them. 
A private one (PIA), which has its own client, and it works fine.

I also use a Cisco Anyconnect client for Work, which connects and runs fine.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Big deal.  I was using the Windows 10 built in VPN connectivity and it worked until I "upgraded" to ignite and it stopped working.  Simple as that.

BTW you clearly don't understand the problem.

I ran PIA using this modem NO PROBLEM.  I am not talking about a VPN service.

I am talking about a VPN connection, where you area able to virtually become a part of a specific remote network.  As in, you will be visible on their network should they look in their local file explorer.  

NOT a VPN service.  Totally different.

I am NOT talking about a VPN service.  There was never an issue with VPN services.

Anyconnect might have accomplished our goals, but it's paid.  the built in VPN within windows 10 is obviously free (with Win10) and most importantly.....

IT WORKED FINE UNTILL I SWAPPED MODEMS.   Even more importantly....

ROGERS WOULD NOT GIVE ME MY OLD MODEM BACK THAT WORKED FINE.

it's a moot point.   I've since switched to Bell, their Bell fibe model does support Win10's VPN, and I am only responding because these replies turn up in my email, and I'm still upset at Rogers for not agreeing to simply revert my model back from Ignite.

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Thank you for that, now I know there's nothing it can be done.