New Ignite TV Self Install

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply
fgfgf
I Plan to Stick Around
Posts: 11

Re: New Ignite TV Self Install

Got charged the $30 too.  Pretty silly I had to pay to do something myself.  They would not give me the option to pick up a modem at a store to avoid the charge.

mies_rohe
I've Been Around
Posts: 1

Re: New Ignite TV Self Install

Hi I'm trying to install modem, when scanning qr code it is saying "We'll have to identify your Gateway another way. Please call us". I'm already 50 mins on hold for technical support line. Is there a way to fix it? I very critical to have an internet  for tomorrow. 

JKnott
I Plan to Stick Around
Posts: 312

Re: New Ignite TV Self Install

I didn't have to scan anything.  I just replaced the old modem with the new one and it just came right up.  Is this for the TV?  I used Ethernet for mine.

JKnott
I Plan to Stick Around
Posts: 312

Re: New Ignite TV Self Install

" I'm already 50 mins on hold for technical support line."

 

You have my sympathies.  I'm currently on hold and being forced to listen to that hold "music".

 

RogersCorey
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 1,441

Re: New Ignite TV Self Install

Greetings @JKnott and @mies_rohe

 

Were you able to have your concerns handled over the phones or are you still in need of assistance?

 

Please let us know so that we can provide you whatever help you need. 🙂

 

Regards,

RogersCorey

JKnott
I Plan to Stick Around
Posts: 312

Re: New Ignite TV Self Install

Yes I was, but I was on hold for almost an hour and forced to listen to what passes for hold music.  However, one thing I don't think is likely to be fixed is the deficiencies of the remote functions, compared to the Nextbox.  Whoever designed that should have been required to use the Nextbox for a while.  There are also some issues with the guide.

 

ColdGranite
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
Posts: 206

Re: New Ignite TV Self Install


@JKnott wrote:

 However, one thing I don't think is likely to be fixed is the deficiencies of the remote functions, compared to the Nextbox.  

 


I am a recent switchover from Nextbox to Ignite.

What specific deficiencies do you see for the remote?

 

Don't forget that you can "speak" to it and that makes it quite a bit more versatile... 

...you can go directly to programs or channels without having to know the number, you can fast forward a specified time without having to go through the ugly FF key, etc.   



JKnott
I Plan to Stick Around
Posts: 312

Re: New Ignite TV Self Install

One other thing.  When you set up an every episode recording, why is there no option for this day only or this time only, as there was previously.  There are some shows that repeat several times each week and you now have to record every single time, even though you only want once.  Take a look at how often Star Trek Discovery is on, for an example.

 

JKnott
I Plan to Stick Around
Posts: 312

Re: New Ignite TV Self Install


@ColdGranite wrote:

@JKnott wrote:

 However, one thing I don't think is likely to be fixed is the deficiencies of the remote functions, compared to the Nextbox.  

 


I am a recent switchover from Nextbox to Ignite.

What specific deficiencies do you see for the remote?

 

Don't forget that you can "speak" to it and that makes it quite a bit more versatile... 

...you can go directly to programs or channels without having to know the number, you can fast forward a specified time without having to go through the ugly FF key, etc.   


The previous PVRs had buttons on the remote to skip ahead or back 3 minutes and also back 20 seconds, IIRC.  When you use the search forward or reverse, you rarely stop where you want and sometimes don't even move at all.  There used to be a Last channel button, which was handy for switching between channels.  I have tried the voice command and am not impressed.  There also used to be a favourite channels button with the previous PVRs and terminals.  There are also some issues with the guide.

ColdGranite
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
Posts: 206

Re: New Ignite TV Self Install


@JKnott wrote:

@ColdGranite wrote:

@JKnott wrote:

 However, one thing I don't think is likely to be fixed is the deficiencies of the remote functions, compared to the Nextbox.  

 


I am a recent switchover from Nextbox to Ignite.

What specific deficiencies do you see for the remote?

 

Don't forget that you can "speak" to it and that makes it quite a bit more versatile... 

...you can go directly to programs or channels without having to know the number, you can fast forward a specified time without having to go through the ugly FF key, etc.   


The previous PVRs had buttons on the remote to skip ahead or back 3 minutes and also back 20 seconds, IIRC.  When you use the search forward or reverse, you rarely stop where you want and sometimes don't even move at all.  There used to be a Last channel button, which was handy for switching between channels.  I have tried the voice command and am not impressed.  There also used to be a favourite channels button with the previous PVRs and terminals.  There are also some issues with the guide.


Re skipping:

You can use voice commands to skip any amount you specify: "forward 3 minutes" "forward 12 seconds" , "Rewind 4 seconds" or whatever.

The last channel button is the big back-arrow to the left of the "voice" button. (I have the XR15 remote, not sure if it is the same on the XR11).

The only difference is that rather than going immediately to the last channel, it DISPLAYS A LIST of several recent channels, with the highlight on the MOST recent one.  So to complete the jump, you would press the two buttons "Back-arrow, OK". 

I actually prefer this system... suppose I am watching some dumb move.  During commercial I jump up to the TSN or sportsnet channels in the 500s.  I scroll up and down 5 of them to see what is happening.  Now i want to jump back to my movie.  The digital system would never get me there... the "last" channel would be the last TSN channel that I visited.  Here, I would see all 10 recent channels, and would my movie channel from them.  It also retains that memory of recent channels when you turn the tv off and back on again.

 

To set favorite channel, you open the guide and use the left arrow to get the highlight all the way to the LEFT...of the programs and right onto the CHANNEL Identification column.  Then you scroll to the channel that you want, select it, and a submenu at the bottom will allow you to watch it now, record it, or set it as a favorite.

 

Now... the guide actually has two pages.  

One page shows you the list of stations and programs, while the OTHER page allows you to choose which list to show:

All channels... or just free-to-me channels, ... or just HD channels ... or just favorite channels ...  and there are a couple of other possibilities.

To get to that other page, you press "guide" AGAIN (and press guide again to get back).

You can also set WHICH list you want to be the default... that is set by 

Rogers button, scroll to the right end and select the setting icon, select preferences, select general, select "default guide view" and pick your choice for default.

By the way, you can back out of the menus with that big "back-arrow" button. or hit exit to go all the way back.

 

To choose a view for the guide... hit guide twice to get to the "select your guide view" and its row of icons.

The left-most icon is all channels, then free-to-me, then HD, and the star is "favorites".  Choose the one you want, and it automatically goes back to the list of programs with the new view.  If you choose the star (favorites), it will show only your selected favorite channels.

 

You mention "some issues with the guide"?  What would those be?

 

I really encourage you experiment with the voice.  You will find it can really simplify your life...