cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Ignite TV Self Install

Biollw
I'm a senior advisor

Looks like I will be doing a self install for a friend on Monday. This is a brand new building with Rogers fiber to the home.

So what does rogers use for the customer premise fiber termination to coax? 

I am comfortable doing the self install. Apparently the rogers installer will remain at the front door while I do the install. Will he loan me his coax locator because I need to isolate the coax going to the living room. There are 3 lines at the entry box in the laundry room. One livingroom a two others to the bedrooms.

Thnx

**Labels Added**

75 REPLIES 75

Re: New Ignite TV Self Install

Biollw
I'm a senior advisor

I change it to 30 seconds and it does not hold that value. It randomly changes it back to 5 mins. Likely when I start to watch a show that currently recording, it changes to 5 mins.

I have to go change it back to 30 seconds. 

sadchel
I plan to stick around

On The Shopping Channel today they were offering a promo deal on Ignite TV that included free installation. I wonder if this means Rogers has started in home installs again? 

ColdGranite
I'm a senior contributor

I would doubt it.

They are probably just waiving the $29 self-install fee.  

wu_ivy_1971
I've been here awhile

Hello all,

I just signed with Rogers Internet today, but when I tried to find the coax cable connection, I was not able to.

Here's what I have tried to do:

- I went outside near my utility box and found there was indeed a Rogers box (meaning my location should have Rogers service)
- I tried to trace the wiring exiting the Rogers box, but found no matching wire near my electric box inside

- My location's previous owners used to be with Bell, and I can find the Bell box outside, along with the Bell wiring near my electric box inside

So my question is: how can I find the Rogers wiring near my electric box? Is it perhaps not there at all? If it's not there, would I need to hire a Rogers technician to install the wiring?

Thanks in advance!

@wu_ivy_1971  How new is your home and subdivision?  You may need to call Rogers to find out if any Rogers services have ever been installed by previous owners at your address.  If you home is newer, it's also possible that Rogers could be bringing service to your home over a fibre optic cable, which would require additional equipment (an RFoG ONU, something like this) to convert the signal from fibre to coax.

If you can't find any cables of any kind that might be bringing Rogers' service into your home, Rogers may need to dispatch a tech.

wu_ivy_1971
I've been here awhile

Hello @-G-,

My home is an older home, and I called Rogers to confirm as you suggested. The location indeed did have Rogers service installed by previous owners.

I did not see anything similar to an RFoG ONU, so I will assume there is none.

Thanks for your suggestions, I will try calling a tech if I cannot find any type of connection in my home.

@wu_ivy_1971 you should see three cables entering/exiting the external Rogers box.  There should be two RG-6 cables, one which is inbound from the nearest utility pole in the case of overhead cabling, or from a nearby pedestal (usually green in colour) in the case of underground wiring.  The other RG-6 runs into the home, usually the basement, and terminates at the structured wiring panel, where all of the house telephone and cable runs begin or terminate, depending on your point of view.  That cable is then connected to a splitter if necessary for legacy service, but now, in the case of the ignite service, should be connected to an F-81 connector which then connects to the cable that runs upstairs to the modem's location.  The F-81 connector looks like this:

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/ideal-3ghz-f-splice-adapter-10-pack-/1000751479

That's a 10 pack, but they should be available in 3 or 5 packs ??

There should also be a copper cable which is a ground cable that runs from the cable ground block (located within the Rogers box), to the electrical meter box.  

Edit:  Did the previous owners use Bell by any chance for their services?  If so, I wonder if the last Bell tech cut one or more cables, which would then require a Rogers tech to reinstall the required cables? 

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Installations are a breeze when homes have modern, structured wiring.  In homes built 20 years ago, it was typical for builders to only install 2 telephone jacks and 2 coax outlets.  Anything else would cost extra, money that new home owners typically did not have and could not justify spending.

It's not uncommon for Rogers to run coax on outside walls or to replace interior runs of RG-59 coax with exterior runs of RG-6.  In an older home, there is no guarantee that you will even have any coax running into the basement.

czvczx
I've been around

cable line that bell uses. so there is a coax cable on my living room which bell satellite tv is connected so just before i remove everthing can i connect my ignite internet on the same coax that bell used

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

no? at least not 100% how it is now.

right now, it will be going back to some point, then out to where the satellite TV dish is.

Now, if this goes down to say the electrical panel area, you might be ok.
As that is where the rogers connection into the house would be.
You would need to change where the line from the room comes from, to connect to the incoming rogers line.

ljlt08
I've been here awhile

Everything with my self install was going great until I got to the point where I set up my Wi-Fi name and password. It said this could take up to 10 minutes. I waited 30 minutes and still nothing. I tried this 4 times. Any ideas?

Hello, @ljlt08

Welcome to The Rogers Community Forums!

I know how important it is to have your Wi-Fi network name and passphrase setup easily, it definitely should not take such a long time and numerous tries to get this working.

• Are you still experiencing issues with the setup?
  • Does the default Wi-Fi network name and passphrase printed on the bottom of the modem work?
  • If you have not already please attempt a factory reset of the modem. You can find the steps here.

Let us know if this issue is ongoing after a factory reset.

RogersTony

ljlt08
I've been here awhile
Turns out that I do not have a Rogers connection to my house. A technician will be coming out to install one.
Topic Stats