cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Ignite TV Self Install

Biollw
I'm a senior advisor

Looks like I will be doing a self install for a friend on Monday. This is a brand new building with Rogers fiber to the home.

So what does rogers use for the customer premise fiber termination to coax? 

I am comfortable doing the self install. Apparently the rogers installer will remain at the front door while I do the install. Will he loan me his coax locator because I need to isolate the coax going to the living room. There are 3 lines at the entry box in the laundry room. One livingroom a two others to the bedrooms.

Thnx

**Labels Added**

75 REPLIES 75

Re: New Ignite TV Self Install

ReneHache
I plan to stick around

I'm getting Ignite TV tomorrow (self install, migrate from Digital TV), I already install the Ignite wifi app on my phone, But I've been wondering for tomorrow, do I need to keep my old wifi on until the new wifi is fully configured? I read on a guide that you need to login with your My Rogers account, but I won't be able to login if I need to remove the old wifi before installing the new one.

Does the new wifi gateway modem have a temporary wizard wifi you can use to setup your permanent wifi like on the Rocket Modem or most other modem/routers?
I wish the're were a detailed video or guide I can check before doing the install tomorrow, all the guide I already check online don't have enough information.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@ReneHache wrote:

I'm getting Ignite TV tomorrow (self install, migrate from Digital TV), I already install the Ignite wifi app on my phone, But I've been wondering for tomorrow, do I need to keep my old wifi on until the new wifi is fully configured? I read on a guide that you need to login with your My Rogers account, but I won't be able to login if I need to remove the old wifi before installing the new one.

Does the new wifi gateway modem have a temporary wizard wifi you can use to setup your permanent wifi like on the Rocket Modem or most other modem/routers?

Yes, the initial default Wi-Fi SSID and passphrase are printed on the bottom of the Ignite WiFi Gateway modem.  If you have a computer with an Ethernet (or Wi-Fi) connection, you can also perform the initial setup using a web browser.

I wish the're were a detailed video or guide I can check before doing the install tomorrow, all the guide I already check online don't have enough information.

There is!  Check out: Install your Ignite WiFi modem, network name and password and How to Install Your Ignite TV Box and Pair Your Voice Remote

The self-install video assumes that you have a mobile phone with data, so you may have to pre-configure WiFi on your Ignite gateway using a web browser.  To install Ignite WiFi Pods , you will still need to use the Ignite WiFi Hub mobile app and your mobile device must also have Bluetooth enabled.

You can also find additional tutorials on the Rogers Canada YouTube channel.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

ReneHache
I plan to stick around

Ignite TV is now installed ad work great. But, when I login into my Rogers account, the old TV/Internet account number is gone (it's normal) But, I still see the old TV and Internet box at the bottom of the page and when I click on them, it's still my old package information, I didn't received the new account number for Ignite TV, and there's no option to Flex channels.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@ReneHache wrote:

Ignite TV is now installed ad work great. But, when I login into my Rogers account, the old TV/Internet account number is gone (it's normal) But, I still see the old TV and Internet box at the bottom of the page and when I click on them, it's still my old package information, I didn't received the new account number for Ignite TV, and there's no option to Flex channels.

That's strange that your new Ignite services did not get added to MyRogers account.  Rogers should have also provided your with a confirmation email (containing the new account number) when your ordered Ignite.

If you can't track down the new account number, you can send a PM to @CommunityHelps and ask them for assistance.  They should be able to get this issue fixed quickly.

ReneHache
I plan to stick around

I received the confirmation email, but the account number only show the last 4 digits mark has XXXX-XXXX-1234 (example).

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@ReneHache wrote:

I received the confirmation email, but the account number only show the last 4 digits mark has XXXX-XXXX-1234 (example).

My apologies.  Thanks!  I just checked my confirmation emails and saw the same.  I didn't get an account number that could be linked to MyRogers until they sent me my first bill.  However, everything was also set up for me correctly right from the start.

Hopefully Rogers will be able get this fixed for you soon.

ReneHache
I plan to stick around

I can now confirmed, everything seen have been corrected when I received my bill last week, it seen that IgniteTV is now merged/added with my cellphones account, now I have only one account for everything, so only 1 bill per months instead of 2. 🙂

fgfgf
I plan to stick around

Got charged the $30 too.  Pretty silly I had to pay to do something myself.  They would not give me the option to pick up a modem at a store to avoid the charge.

mies_rohe
I've been around

Hi I'm trying to install modem, when scanning qr code it is saying "We'll have to identify your Gateway another way. Please call us". I'm already 50 mins on hold for technical support line. Is there a way to fix it? I very critical to have an internet  for tomorrow. 

JKnott
I'm a reliable contributor

I didn't have to scan anything.  I just replaced the old modem with the new one and it just came right up.  Is this for the TV?  I used Ethernet for mine.

JKnott

" I'm already 50 mins on hold for technical support line."

You have my sympathies.  I'm currently on hold and being forced to listen to that hold "music".

Greetings @JKnott and @mies_rohe

Were you able to have your concerns handled over the phones or are you still in need of assistance?

Please let us know so that we can provide you whatever help you need. 🙂

Regards,

RogersCorey

JKnott

Yes I was, but I was on hold for almost an hour and forced to listen to what passes for hold music.  However, one thing I don't think is likely to be fixed is the deficiencies of the remote functions, compared to the Nextbox.  Whoever designed that should have been required to use the Nextbox for a while.  There are also some issues with the guide.

ColdGranite
I'm a senior contributor

@JKnott wrote:

However, one thing I don't think is likely to be fixed is the deficiencies of the remote functions, compared to the Nextbox.  

I am a recent switchover from Nextbox to Ignite.

What specific deficiencies do you see for the remote?

Don't forget that you can "speak" to it and that makes it quite a bit more versatile... 

...you can go directly to programs or channels without having to know the number, you can fast forward a specified time without having to go through the ugly FF key, etc.   

JKnott

One other thing.  When you set up an every episode recording, why is there no option for this day only or this time only, as there was previously.  There are some shows that repeat several times each week and you now have to record every single time, even though you only want once.  Take a look at how often Star Trek Discovery is on, for an example.

JKnott

@ColdGranite wrote:

@JKnott wrote:

However, one thing I don't think is likely to be fixed is the deficiencies of the remote functions, compared to the Nextbox.  

Don't forget that you can "speak" to it and that makes it quite a bit more versatile... 

...you can go directly to programs or channels without having to know the number, you can fast forward a specified time without having to go through the ugly FF key, etc.   

The previous PVRs had buttons on the remote to skip ahead or back 3 minutes and also back 20 seconds, IIRC.  When you use the search forward or reverse, you rarely stop where you want and sometimes don't even move at all.  There used to be a Last channel button, which was handy for switching between channels.  I have tried the voice command and am not impressed.  There also used to be a favourite channels button with the previous PVRs and terminals.  There are also some issues with the guide.

ColdGranite
I'm a senior contributor

@JKnott wrote:

@ColdGranite wrote:

@JKnott wrote:

The previous PVRs had buttons on the remote to skip ahead or back 3 minutes and also back 20 seconds, IIRC.  When you use the search forward or reverse, you rarely stop where you want and sometimes don't even move at all.  There used to be a Last channel button, which was handy for switching between channels.  I have tried the voice command and am not impressed.  There also used to be a favourite channels button with the previous PVRs and terminals.  There are also some issues with the guide.

Re skipping:

You can use voice commands to skip any amount you specify: "forward 3 minutes" "forward 12 seconds" , "Rewind 4 seconds" or whatever.

The last channel button is the big back-arrow to the left of the "voice" button. (I have the XR15 remote, not sure if it is the same on the XR11).

The only difference is that rather than going immediately to the last channel, it DISPLAYS A LIST of several recent channels, with the highlight on the MOST recent one.  So to complete the jump, you would press the two buttons "Back-arrow, OK". 

I actually prefer this system... suppose I am watching some dumb move.  During commercial I jump up to the TSN or sportsnet channels in the 500s.  I scroll up and down 5 of them to see what is happening.  Now i want to jump back to my movie.  The digital system would never get me there... the "last" channel would be the last TSN channel that I visited.  Here, I would see all 10 recent channels, and would my movie channel from them.  It also retains that memory of recent channels when you turn the tv off and back on again.

To set favorite channel, you open the guide and use the left arrow to get the highlight all the way to the LEFT...of the programs and right onto the CHANNEL Identification column.  Then you scroll to the channel that you want, select it, and a submenu at the bottom will allow you to watch it now, record it, or set it as a favorite.

Now... the guide actually has two pages.  

One page shows you the list of stations and programs, while the OTHER page allows you to choose which list to show:

All channels... or just free-to-me channels, ... or just HD channels ... or just favorite channels ...  and there are a couple of other possibilities.

To get to that other page, you press "guide" AGAIN (and press guide again to get back).

You can also set WHICH list you want to be the default... that is set by 

Rogers button, scroll to the right end and select the setting icon, select preferences, select general, select "default guide view" and pick your choice for default.

By the way, you can back out of the menus with that big "back-arrow" button. or hit exit to go all the way back.

To choose a view for the guide... hit guide twice to get to the "select your guide view" and its row of icons.

The left-most icon is all channels, then free-to-me, then HD, and the star is "favorites".  Choose the one you want, and it automatically goes back to the list of programs with the new view.  If you choose the star (favorites), it will show only your selected favorite channels.

You mention "some issues with the guide"?  What would those be?

I really encourage you experiment with the voice.  You will find it can really simplify your life...

Biollw
I'm a senior advisor

Page up will skip ahead either 30 secs or 5 min depending on you setup. Page dwn goes back 15 secs.

ColdGranite
I'm a senior contributor

@Biollw wrote:

Page up will skip ahead either 30 secs or 5 min depending on you setup. Page dwn goes back 15 secs.

mine goes 5 min forward and 5 min back...

Where do you set the preference for that? I can't find it. 

@ColdGranite wrote:

@Biollw wrote:

mine goes 5 min forward and 5 min back...

Where do you set the preference for that? I can't find it. 

Here are two ways to do this:

1. While watching a TV channel, press Exit three times, then key in: 0 0 3 0
  2. Press and hold the Rogers (Menu) button for three seconds, then key in: Up Up 2.  When prompted to Enter Control Code, key in: 0 0 3 0

This magic code changes how the set-top box responds to the Page Up and Page Down buttons.  To go back to the default, key in "0500" rather than"0030".

Topic Stats