cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Ignite TV Self Install

Biollw
I'm a senior advisor

Looks like I will be doing a self install for a friend on Monday. This is a brand new building with Rogers fiber to the home.

So what does rogers use for the customer premise fiber termination to coax? 

I am comfortable doing the self install. Apparently the rogers installer will remain at the front door while I do the install. Will he loan me his coax locator because I need to isolate the coax going to the living room. There are 3 lines at the entry box in the laundry room. One livingroom a two others to the bedrooms.

Thnx

**Labels Added**

75 REPLIES 75

Re: New Ignite TV Self Install

toolcubed
I'm a senior contributor
Well, after speaking to several Rogers agents over the past couple of weeks, I’ve gotten nowhere. That article released in the news back in April about Rogers killing all loyalty offers is true. After a lengthy and mostly positive relationship with Rogers, I’ve decided to call it quits. I signed up for Bell Fibe because Rogers couldn’t confirm when I’d be able to get Ignite and a better deal. Unfortunately Bell only offers vdsl FTTN in my area so the fastest internet I can get thru them is 100Mbps, which is what I signed up for. The deal was too good to pass up and will end up being much cheaper than what I will end up paying Rogers starting next month. Along with 100Mbps Internet, I’m getting their Better TV package and home phone with unlimited North American calling and 8 calling features. I don’t need the home phone but it ended up being cheaper in the long run (credits don’t expire for as long as I’m with Bell). It ended up being $140/month and they thru in Crave TV at no additional charge for 1 year. Not happy about switching to Bell but happy with the money I’ll be saving. Installation is scheduled for July 30th and Rogers services will be cancelled on the 31st. Farewell Rogers. It’s been a pleasure. Good luck to everyone else.

carlb
I plan to stick around

Rogers explained it to me like this, if existing customers attempt the self install and something goes wrong they are unable to send a tech and there is no guarantee the old services would work again whereas new customers have nothing to lose. That sounds like the biggest crock I’ve ever heard.

toolcubed
I'm a senior contributor
Lol yup...it is a crock. Pretty sure JKnott is correct. Rogers is probably willing to take the risk to acquire new customers but isn’t willing to take the same risk to keep existing customers happy. I spoke to four different Rogers agents, and each time I asked why it’s allowed for new customers but not for existing customers, I literally got four different answers. One agent even told me that I couldn’t get it because I had home phone. I told her I didn’t need home phone and then she said “well no it’s not because of the home phone.” Lol. She literally changed her reason in a matter of seconds. Anyway, I was just tired of the runaround. I know for a fact that I’ll have problems with Bell, but I just can’t justify paying $60 more per month than what I’m currently paying Rogers now and $75 more per month compared to my Bell offer! So I took the plunge. It’s a shame really but it is what it is. What a complete 180 Rogers has pulled with customer service lately.

carlb
I plan to stick around

man, I can’t even GET a price IF my mother in law was to change over to ignite.

Talked to more CSR’s than I ever wanted to and got absolutely nowhere.

Wumdaorf
I've been here awhile

we're having issues with our current tv/net, it's not something that can be resolved any time soon (line issue on the nearby hwy affecting my area), and we had a tech out yesterday who suggested maybe switching to ignite. so wum and i(the wife)  look over our options and i call in tonight:

first actually local call centre: oh yeah, you qualify! we can help you, sorry about your ongoing issues, but we have a concierge service and they can set you up better, let me transfer you...

me: okay!

maritimes centre: let me see if you qualify, oh you do, but sorry we're not allowing the migration right now...

me: umm what? wait, why transfer me and see if i can have it, if it's not available? why even advertise it?

martimes centre: well we might be able to do it in a week or two... see if you were a brand new customer, you could have it, because you're required to have internet...

me: i do understand about not allowing techs into homes, but this doesn't require one, it can be self installed.

so, now i am questioning, is it even worth the hassle? considering every time the weather changes our tv/net are messed up already and no hope of getting that fixed any time soon. 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Wumdaorf wrote:

we're having issues with our current tv/net, it's not something that can be resolved any time soon (line issue on the nearby hwy affecting my area), and we had a tech out yesterday who suggested maybe switching to ignite. so wum and i(the wife)  look over our options and i call in tonight:

If you're currently on Rogers Digital Cable and are having issues, the last thing you want to do is switch to IgniteTV. IgniteTV requires a solid (good) signal to function properly. I have no idea why the Tech would even suggest it if you have problems now.

I suggest you read through the various IgniteTV threads here to see the issues that many people have, even if their signal is half decent.

Perhaps you can PM the @CommunityHelps people here to see if there's something they can do to rectify your current situation.

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Rogers-Community-Forums-Blog/Get-to-know-your-Community-How-To...

Wumdaorf
I've been here awhile

aww yeah, nothing any one can do to fix our issue here, the whole area is affected by the lines by the hwy... it actually took years, a tech that lived down the road having the exact same issue, for them to trace down a line that was cracked/exposed/weather affected on the hwy and replace it... we're facing the same issue again, and sadly the tech moved away. the infrastructure in ontario is absolutely ancient, or severely abused the last few years from the storms. i know this because i used to be a bell tech. i'd still rather be with rogers than bell, the stories i could tell...

Hello, @Wumdaorf

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums!

Having to deal with the same issue for such a long time can definitely become a major source of frustration. Especially if it went away for a period of time and only returned recently.

We'd like to take a look at this for you to see if we can detect anything specific that is affecting your area. Please send a private message to @CommunityHelps so we can get started. Not familiar with our private messaging system? No worries, Click Here.

RogersTony

carlb
I plan to stick around

Now that Toronto is in stage 3 does anybody know if Rogers is doing installs yet?
I really don’t have the patience to stay on hold forever to find out.

Thanks 

@carlb

Thanks for your post!

I know it has been a while since our technicians entered homes. Thank you for your patience as we slowly transition back to normal operations.

There are some self-install options available for new activations of our services. What services are you looking to install?

Our Installation Technicians continue to offer contactless delivery and assistance from outside the home to help ensure the customer’s safety and the safety of themselves and their community.

Cheers

RogersHarry

carlb
I plan to stick around

Thanks for your response.

It’s actually for an existing customer, my mother in law.

Hello @carlb

You're most welcome!

Please note, currently our legacy to Ignite tv migrations for our existing customers are still on hold until a self-install option is available. https://www.rogers.com/home will be the best place to get an update when this becomes available for our existing customers. 

For any other account-related or installation questions. Please send a private message to @CommunityHelps so we can look into this together.

If you aren't familiar with our private messaging system please click here

Cheers

RogersHarry

carlb
I plan to stick around

Thank you 

OttawaHere
I plan to stick around

I think that policy of ''no Ignite for legacy or current customers'' is changing this week.

(could be wrong)

carlb
I plan to stick around

Good to know. I’ll keep an eye on it. Thanks 

JKnott
I'm a reliable contributor

I guess this is related to the COVID shutdown and moving to stage 3.

carlb
I plan to stick around

I just got off chat with them and was told existing customers can upgrade to ignite.

They will send the equipment and a tech will be outside to assist.

The upgrade must be done through “my rogers “ account online only.

carlb
I plan to stick around

Rogers dropped off the ignite tv box and modem at my mother in law yesterday and I gotta say the install went surprisingly well. Everything including home phone is up and working.

toolcubed
I'm a senior contributor
Hi everyone. Just thought I’d let you all know that someone from the Office of the President contacted me a couple of days ago. He was able to let me keep my existing digital cable services (500u, Popular TV with Crave/HBO, and unlimited NA home phone) and reduce the price by almost $50/month. Good for another 12 months. No contract and no cancellation fees. My monthly bill is now just a few dollars more than it was before the price increase when my old promotion expired (i.e. just a few dollars more than my old promotion), and is in fact cheaper than it would’ve been for me to cut the cord, take an Internet-only package and pay for all other services I would’ve needed to separately in order to get the channels/services I want. Eventually I’d love to move to the Ignite platform if the price is right...will keep my eyes and ears open for future promotions on Ignite. For now. I’m happy again

So tonight I talked to someone in the chat about switching to Ignite from my current services, and they told me I had to do it myself online. Okay, no problem. However, 2 things are absolutely baffling me that I'd love an answer to:
1) why, after being a Rogers customer for years, did I have to let them do a credit check to switch from one service to another? That's incredibly stupid.
2) why am I paying a $30 "installation" fee for them to deliver the new equipment for ME to install myself? Especially when they won't even take away the old equipment?
Absolutely ridiculous. Rogers is the WORST company.

toolcubed
I'm a senior contributor
You shouldn’t have to do either. File a complaint with the CCTS, and also file a complaint thru the Rogers website using “share a concern” under “contact us.” In the complaint, tell them you want your concern escalated to a manager. I agree...both things you mentioned are ridiculous. The 2nd thing is just price gouging, plain and simple. I would not pay it.

Side note - I’ve been hearing rumours that a lot of people have been going to the CCTS lately re recent Rogers practices. It’s going to be interesting to see what the complaint numbers look like for Rogers. I’ll bet it’s not going to look too good for Joe “I’m going to obsess over customer service” Natale.
Topic Stats