cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Ignite TV Self Install

Biollw
I'm a senior advisor

Looks like I will be doing a self install for a friend on Monday. This is a brand new building with Rogers fiber to the home.

So what does rogers use for the customer premise fiber termination to coax? 

I am comfortable doing the self install. Apparently the rogers installer will remain at the front door while I do the install. Will he loan me his coax locator because I need to isolate the coax going to the living room. There are 3 lines at the entry box in the laundry room. One livingroom a two others to the bedrooms.

Thnx

**Labels Added**

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: New Ignite TV Self Install

Biollw
I'm a senior advisor

Install went good. Optical connection was easy. X6i boxes connected good just me not know the key pad combo for setup, unlike the xr11 with a setup ket the XR15 was two keys at once and I had to call the technician to tell me which keys it was.

Connected my notebook to rj45 port then powered up XB6 and configure d it with web setup interface. Connected one X6i Ethernet and the other wifi

All went well.

Thnx 

View solution in original post

75 REPLIES 75

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

When placing the order with Rogers, what did your friend say about the state-of-readiness of the dwelling? The self-install guide for the XB6 gateway kinda assumes that the existing cable outlets are already active and ready for use.

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Is this a house?  And, are you installing a Hitron modem which includes gig service, or is this the whole ball of wax, with the newer XB6 modems and the Ignite TV service?

If FTTH has been installed, there should be a Rogers box outside of the home which should contain the end of the fibre cable.  The question at this point is whether or not that fibre cable has been brought into the house/home.  If it has, you're almost there.  If not, then that fibre cable has to be brought into the house/home as a first step.  The question is, where is the fibre drop and where is the laundry room.  If their not close together, this could be a pain.

Rogers uses a fibre terminal which is installed in the home.  In theory, you should be able to simply install the fibre terminal in a useful location and plug the fibre cable into the terminal.  There is also a power supply which connects to the terminal over a coax cable from what I remember seeing.  So, because the fibre terminal requires power, you need a nearby socket to provide power.  

That fibre terminal then feeds a regular coax modem via coax cable.  So, you need to run a coax cable to the (structured wiring cabinet in the laundry room ?) or the location in the laundry room where the cable ends are located.  In the structured wiring cabinet you would find the terminal ends for the coax, ethernet and telephone wiring that runs to the rooms in the house.  The question here is, is the house RG-6 cabling ready to go, or do you need to install connectors?  With connectors on the house RG-6 cabling, in theory, all you have to do is connect the coax cable from the fibre terminal to the cable run to the living room using an F-81 connector.  Looks like this:

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/ideal-3ghz-f-splice-adapter-10-pack-/1000751479

Beyond that, then the question is, what modem is this?  If its just a Hitron modem, then its simple, connect the cables, install the jumper cable from the wallplate in the living room to the modem and you're there.  

If this is a XB6 and the plan is to use the ethernet and telephone ports, then the question is, is the ethernet and telephone cabling in the home already finished with all the necessary connectors?  If so, and the wallplate ports are available at the chosen location, you can connect them to the modem's ethernet and telephone jacks.  If not, then you have some work to do.  In either case, with the modem connected to the ports, you would have to finish connecting the rest of the home's cabling in the laundry room.  I'm assuming that's where the structured wiring cabinet is which would contain the terminal ends of the RG-6 and ethernet cabling for both ethernet and telephone purposes.  

The complicating factor at this point is whether or not there is an alarm system installed, or plans to install one, which requires the alarm terminal to be connected as the first device after the modem's telephone jacks.  The output of the alarm system is then connected to the house telephone system.  If the alarm requires the phone line, its in a position to take control of the line and call the alarm company.  

So, where the fibre cable is terminated and where the laundry room is are the principal questions, followed by, what modem is being installed?  After that, what about any possible alarm system?

Biollw
I'm a senior advisor

This is a brand new apartment building. Fiber there and ready in the laundry room cabinet. I looked last night and both Rogers and Bell have fiber installed. Along with coax to 3 rooms. Just have to isolate which coax goes to livingroom.

Ignite TV so I assume XB6 technicolor. I have no problem with the Ignite TV install, I was just not familiar with the Fiber component installation.

We will see Monday.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Biollw wrote:

This is a brand new apartment building. Fiber there and ready in the laundry room cabinet. I looked last night and both Rogers and Bell have fiber installed. Along with coax to 3 rooms. Just have to isolate which coax goes to livingroom.

Ignite TV so I assume XB6 technicolor. I have no problem with the Ignite TV install, I was just not familiar with the Fiber component installation.

We will see Monday.

I have never heard of a new FTTH connection being self-installable from any network/Internet service provider.  (Part of that is due to the laser hazards that are sometimes present in carrier-class optical networking gear, although FTTH gear typically only uses Class 1 lasers.  You also need to ensure that the physical equipment itself is installed/mounted/powered/tested according to the provider's established quality standards.)  Rogers has used RFoG in the past which involves installing an RFoG ONU to convert from fibre to coax.  I also know that newer technologies are also in the works but don't know what specific CPE gear that Rogers might end up using.

To locate the coax cable to the living room, do you have an ohmmeter?  The XB6 will ship with a terminator, used for capping unused connectors on a splitter.  You could connect that to the wall plate in the living room and use the ohmmeter to locate the cable at the other end.

@Biollw have a look at this timely post, specifically the linked photos which shows the Optical Network Unit on photo #1.  Thats what I would expect to arrive with the tech.  

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Internet/Ethernet-wall-jacks-question/m-p/461361#M60982

@-G- raises valid concerns about the laser hazard.  I'd say that a laser hazard briefing from the tech is required before you launch off to install the ONU.  I wouldn't start this without knowing if the optical cable is actually live and if so, what precautions you have to take.  Maybe there's a connection outside, optical cable to optical cable that has to be made before the inside cable is live, in which case you would be working with a dead cable for installation purposes.  Food for thought .....

Biollw
I'm a senior advisor

Install went good. Optical connection was easy. X6i boxes connected good just me not know the key pad combo for setup, unlike the xr11 with a setup ket the XR15 was two keys at once and I had to call the technician to tell me which keys it was.

Connected my notebook to rj45 port then powered up XB6 and configure d it with web setup interface. Connected one X6i Ethernet and the other wifi

All went well.

Thnx 

@Biollw was the fibre cable live, when you were connecting it, or did the tech have to connect the cable outside the home before it was live?  Just curious.

Biollw
I'm a senior advisor

Was live. The tech stood outside the apartment door while I connected it. was no problem connecting the fiber to the port. I even had to take the small plastic cover off of the fiber end.

JKnott
I'm a reliable contributor

"That fibre terminal then feeds a regular coax modem via coax cable."

I live in a condo and currently there's a splitter in the utility room, off the garage, and 2 runs of coax to my unit.  I guess they'll have some multi-unit converter for building like mine.

@JKnott you're switching to Rogers fibre or the building is switching to Rogers fibre?  Its its the building that is switching over to fibre, my guess is that Rogers would run fibre to the utility room and then install a Multiple Dwelling Unit (MDU) that is fibre fed, but which then runs copper cable to the units, using the existing cabling.  

If its an individual installation, then you would have to decide which cable run you want to use as the Ignite TV system employs an Arris or Technicolor XB6 and Xi6-A or Xi6-T set top boxes.  Everything else, such as your current internet modem, Nextboxes and Home Phone modem are removed.  

Switching over to a single modem and one or more set top boxes can be a challenge depending on the layout of your condo, available ethernet cabling and wifi conditions. 

JKnott
@Datalink

No, I was just speculating about what they'd do. In fact, since I have a pair of conduits right to the utility room, carrying nothing but coax, it would be trivial to run fibre all the way.

vo1stv
I've been here awhile
So after 3 months waiting for on an appointment for a "self-install" of IgniteTV, I will soon be receiving my equipment hand-delivered by a Rogers tech as part of their "enhanced self-install". So excited... will keep you all posted about how it goes!

vo1stv
I've been here awhile
The technician arrived on time this morning and the install went very well. The new equipment is much tidier and smaller footprint than the previous generation. Self-install was a good option in my case but I can see that it is not for everyone. One thing Rogers could do to guarantee a smooth install is to use a checklist about wireless phone and smart TV features in use in the home.

Having the technician check the external connection did provide an extended benefit. He verified the wiring and made a few changes that improved signal strength.

amoreira
I plan to stick around

I don't understand, I live in a house and currently have Rogers cable, internet and phone.  My promotion is finishing and I chatted with an agent to discuss my promotion.  The best promotion was to add another $40 on top of my current bill...I don't think so.  I mentioned the Ignite bundles are cheaper than what they were offering and asked if I could get the ignite bundle instead?  I was told I couldn't migrate to that service due to the quarantine.  IF I can self install, why can't I migrate to the ignite bundle?  I just don't understand?  What am I missing?

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@amoreira wrote:

I don't understand, I live in a house and currently have Rogers cable, internet and phone.  My promotion is finishing and I chatted with an agent to discuss my promotion.  The best promotion was to add another $40 on top of my current bill...I don't think so.  I mentioned the Ignite bundles are cheaper than what they were offering and asked if I could get the ignite bundle instead?  I was told I couldn't migrate to that service due to the quarantine.  IF I can self install, why can't I migrate to the ignite bundle?  I just don't understand?  What am I missing?

As far as I can tell, the only customers that Rogers will allow to self-install Ignite Internet/TV are either existing Rogers customers that have Internet only or new customers that do not currently have any Rogers services.

Rogers has never provided any official explanation for this policy.  My guess is that if you are an existing Digital TV customer, you could have splitters (powered and passive), filters, attenuators, disconnected cable runs, old connectors, etc. that all need to be cleaned up and brought up-to-spec with current standards in order to get an Ignite TV/Internet installation that is in a good working state.

If you have legacy Home Phone, Ignite Home Phone will need to be installed in its place.  The installation needs to be done properly and remnants from the old installation need to be cleaned up.  Furthermore, only the Rogers techs have access to the tools that are needed to port your phone number from the old system to the new system.

Okay... so a tech is required to install Ignite TV/Internet/Home Phone.  If you agree to switch to Ignite, what I don't understand is why Rogers won't either extend your discounts or why they won't match the price of what you would pay with Ignite for the equivalent services.  The current policy will only upset and/or drive away loyal customers to their competitors.  It doesn't make sense.

amoreira
I plan to stick around

thanks for the explanation.  I currently have internet, digital cable and home phone with Rogers. I asked for an extension of my current promotion until such time I could get the ignite installed,  but was refused.  I have been with Rogers forever and was real disappointed, so I cancelled everything and now have to search elsewhere.  Perhaps I will just subscribe to internet and forget about home phone and cable.  It really is a shame the Rogers agent was more than willing to just say good bye to me as a customer.  Oh well, such is life.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@amoreira wrote:

thanks for the explanation.

Perhaps I will just subscribe to internet and forget about home phone and cable.  It really is a shame the Rogers agent was more than willing to just say good bye to me as a customer.  Oh well, such is life.

No problem.  Hopefully you will get a callback from Retentions and you will get a better offer.

I blame the COVID-19 situation for this.  Rogers has had to adjust established processes on-the-fly to keep things up and running, their systems are inflexible, and their people don't currently seem to be empowered (or have the ability/authority that they once did) to make decisions that are in the best interests of the business and their customers.

amoreira
I plan to stick around

The agent actually mentioned she was from Retentions department and the managers only had the same deal she did.  Still a little perplexed.  I have never been able to reach some sort of agreement on a price with Rogers, but in the past they have been more flexible.  I won't hold my breath for a call back.  Will definitely post here if that does happen!

toolcubed
I'm a senior contributor

Can someone please explain to me why new Rogers customers are able to get Ignite TV service but I (customer since 2011 at this address and since 1986 at my old address) cannot?!  My Digital cable promotions are expiring this month and my bill will increase by $60/month.  I've spoken to several agents (including loyalty) and keep getting told that Rogers is not allowing Ignite installations to existing customers...only new customers.  To get a better deal, I need to switch to Ignite but I'm not allowed to!!  I've even filed a complaint thru the Rogers website over a week ago but haven't heard back from anyone.  Very frustrated and confused.

JKnott

I'm in the same situation.  My understanding is this situation is due to the pandemic.  I guess they figure it's worth sacrificing a tech to snag a new customer, but not to upgrade an existing one.  😉

As I recall, my increase wasn't as much as yours, but they asked me to call back in a few weeks to see if an install can be arranged.  Also, I managed to get my Ignite 75 Internet to go from 500 GB cap to unlimited and my cell phone from 7 GB to 10.  I also got Crave @ $10/month for 4 months, to try it.

Topic Stats