cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netflix app expanding 4:3 programs to full-screen

Jeremy_K
I plan to stick around

A Netflix 4:3 program watched on the app through Ignite expands to full-screen.

If I watch Netflix through the Smart TV app, it does not do this, so I don't believe it's any setting for the TV, but rather the Ignite box. (Yes I know, I could just watch it on the Smart TV app. But this is driving me nuts.) Any suggestions?

Thanks!

29 REPLIES 29

Re: Netflix app expanding 4:3 programs to full-screen

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The Netflix app still stretches 4:3 content.  Rogers created a ticket on my behalf for this issue and I have not heard any further updates since then.

RAB12
I'm here a lot

^@-G-  Thanks for that. Rogers created a ticket (3 weeks ago) on my behalf also for this issue and I too have not heard any further updates from Rogers since then. Not impressed.

Anyone have a ticket number so we can follow up on this issue?   Its been 8 months so kind of sad to see no change.

Blah3737
I've been around

This just started happening to me last month; stretching Star Trek TNG on Netflix app on the Ignite box; HOWEVER it is not stretching on the smart TV app, on my phone app, my laptops or desktop.  Logged a ticket with Rogers, got a text today saying they found no issue, but clearly there IS an issue as several other people have experienced the same thing.  Further, the issue is CLEARLY specific to the Ignite box and its NetFlix app, given theres no issue on any other hardware.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

What happens when you go to Rogers - Settings - Device Settings - Video Display - Zoom - None (instead of Full)?

My SD channels, are then not zoomed.  Not sure what it does for apps, or whether that needs to be properly handled by Rogers at the Head End...  If that doesn't help, you'll need to open a ticket and have them correct the issue.

Also make sure your TV isn't doing the stretching per post 3 of this thread.  Upon re-reading all the posts in this thread, it appears this is a Rogers issue and if it bothers you enough, you'll need to get a ticket started to correct the problem.  The difficulty is that most people don't notice, or don't care and you need to provide the specific programme, which should not be too difficult - like STTNG or STTOS.

The same thing was happening to me on my TVs a while back when watching Star Trek Voyager using the Netflix app on the Ignite boxes. Eventually the problem mysteriously went away, and I'm guessing that happened when a firmware update occurred on the Ignite boxes.

As "57" stated, be sure your Rogers - Settings - Device Settings - Video Display - Zoom is set to "None" and not "Full".

bmacaskill
I plan to stick around
It's definitely happening to me. I haven't looked at 4:3 content via Ignite on my tv before, and I was aghast to see STNG looking so weird. It's a distorting stretch too, so basically unwatchable. And my Roger settings zoom is set to None.

So it's now 3yrs later, and I personally still have this issue with Netflix, exclusively via my Roger's Ignite Set Top Box. It is specific programs, from what I can tell it's all the 4:3 aspect ratio shows. The show "One Piece" is a massive hit atm and the orignal anime is being re-visited due to popularity with the remake, and the first several seasons shot in 4:3 have the problem. Zooms in and cuts off a ton of picture. My guess is the box is set to an auto "fit to screen" setting or something internally, so when it receives a signal with black bars on the side, it just auto zooms in. Something to that effect at least, otherwise I don't see why other hardware with the Netflix app on the same television display properly. 🤷‍♂️

@BrendaFarnham : Did you try the IgniteTV box settings as outlined in my post, 3 posts up from yours?

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Ignite-TV/Netflix-app-expanding-4-3-programs-to-full-screen/m-...

What happens when you go to Rogers - Settings - Device Settings - Video Display - Zoom - None (instead of Full)?

That setting is designed to handle SD channels specifically, so I'm not sure if that works for Netflix. Also, some TVs have the option to stretch or zoom 4:3 signals (or black bar programming), so you may wish to check your TV's aspect options, if the "None" setting in the box doesn't do the trick.

Topic Stats
  • 29 replies
  • 20 Likes
  • 13 in conversation