cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netflix app expanding 4:3 programs to full-screen

Jeremy_K
I plan to stick around

A Netflix 4:3 program watched on the app through Ignite expands to full-screen.

If I watch Netflix through the Smart TV app, it does not do this, so I don't believe it's any setting for the TV, but rather the Ignite box. (Yes I know, I could just watch it on the Smart TV app. But this is driving me nuts.) Any suggestions?

Thanks!

29 REPLIES 29

Re: Netflix app expanding 4:3 programs to full-screen

RogersTony

Hello, @Jeremy_K

Thanks so much for posting your concern in the Community!

I can imagine how frustrating it must be to view the Netflix app with a stretched screen. This is not an issue that we have encountered before so we definitely want to troubleshoot this for you. Please provide us with the answers to the questions below:

• Do you notice the poor quality/stretched screen as soon as you load up Netflix via the ignite TV box or only after playing a program?
  • If only after playing a program, does it happen on all programs or specific ones?
  • Have you tried any troubleshooting steps on your end such as rebooting the Ignite TV modem and then the Ignite TV box?

Has anyone else in the Community noticed these issues with the Netflix app on the Ignite TV box?

We look forward to your response!

RogersTony

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Jeremy_K wrote:

A Netflix 4:3 program watched on the app through Ignite expands to full-screen. ...I don't believe it's any setting for the TV,

Many TVs will remember the stretch mode invoked for each input separately. Make sure that you haven't invoked some sort of stretch for the IgniteTV input on the TV (and also on Ignite). Rebooting the IgniteTV box should get rid of the issue if the problem is there, but if it's the TV that's doing the stretching, then you'll need to "de-stretch" that TV input.  You would be able to tell if the TV is stretching the input by tuning to a channel like CP24 which would have missing information.

Jeremy_K
I plan to stick around

Hi Tony,

Thanks for the reply.

So the stretched screen is only when playing a 4:3 program. A widescreen program / film will play normally, and if I go back to the 4:3 it again zooms in. The menu / title screens are also normal; it only zooms / fills the screen when playing the 4:3 selection.

I have tried refreshing and restarting both the app and the Ignite box. I haven't restarted the modem, but as I noted, this does not happen on the same television when I run Netflix through the Smart TV app rather than the Ignite app.

Jeremy_K
I plan to stick around

Thanks for the input.

I'm pretty sure it isn't the TV; as I mentioned, the Smart TV (Samsung, for what it's worth) Netflix app plays the 4:3 program properly. I've played around with the TV settings anyway, and it didn't correct the issue. Also, when I use the Netflix app through the Ignite box, it only fills the screen for the 4:3 program. If I select a widescreen program or in the menu / title screen, everything is as should be. If I go back into the 4:3 show, again, screen filled. Exit it, everything normal again. I'm truly perplexed.

I tried checking CP24 as you suggested, but it appears to be in widescreen HD format (doesn't look zoomed, it appears that it is in proper aspect ratio).

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Jeremy_K  The only setting that I know of on the set-top box that might be causing this is Settings / Device Settings / Video Display / Zoom.  The default is "Full", which stretches 4:3 content.  Try changing this setting to "None".

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Is there a setting in the Netflix app itself (on IgniteTV) for "preferences" or something similar of what the app should do with 4:3 programming?  Sometimes this preference may be set to "stretch" or similar so that people don't see black bars?

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
netflix itself does not have any setting for aspect ratio on the web site nor in any netflix app on different platforms from what I recall. Can you tell us the name of the Netflix Movie that you watched that is in 4x3 aspect ratio? I would love to test the movie on a few different devices of mine to see how some of them interpret the aspect ratio.

Jeremy_K
I plan to stick around

Hey guys,

I tried to change the Ignite setting from 'Full,' and it still expands from 4:3 format in Netflix.

I agree, as far as I know, there are no settings native to Netflix itself w.r.t. aspect ratio.

For what it's worth, I was trying to watch Star Trek: TOS. I randomly tried some other 4:3 program - some Pokemon thing - with the same results: zoomed it out to fill the screen.

I'm baffled!

Likeitis
I've been here awhile
I have the same issue... Just started tonight. Was working fine yesterday so something has definately changed in the way the Rogers ignite Netflix app plays 4:3 content.

No change in this behaviour since I last posted...if I have some time later today I'm going to report this issue to rogers via a chat session.

mlapsker
I've been around
TNG same annoying issue... only on Roger's ignites Netflix app all other Netflix apps on other devices are fine. Def a Roger's problem.

RAB12
I'm here a lot

Yesterday I discovered the same issue with the Netflix app on my (4) Ignite TV set top boxes, in that 4:3 programs (such as old Star Trek episodes) are being expanded to full screen. Captain Kirk and crew look pretty weird all stretched out! I submitted a complaint on this very topic to Rogers today, and provided a link to this forum thread. The agent advised she has "escalated" the issue. Hopefully this will trigger the Rogers tech folks to resolve the problem.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Confirmed.  4:3 content is stretched with the Netflix App on Ignite.  So far, I have not been able to find any workarounds to enable Star Trek (TOS) to play with the correct aspect ratio.

If you pause playback, then click the "Right arrow" button, you can see from the tiles on the bottom of the screen that the content definitely has a 4:3 aspect ratio.

Star Trek plays correctly in 4:3 with the Netflix app on iOS.

@CommunityHelps  What do we need to do to get this investigated and fixed?

Hello, @RAB12 & @-G-

@RAB12 - Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums!

I can understand how annoying it can be to try to watch a program that is supposed to be in 4:3 aspect ratio but it stretches to a 16:9 ratio.

In order for this to be fully investigated, we will need to escalate Tickets to our video networking teams to review. If you are being affected by this issue please send a private message to @CommunityHelps so we can get started. Not familiar with our private messaging system? No worries, Click Here.

We look forward to hearing from you.

RogersTony

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Thanks, @RogersTony .  I will send you a PM with details on how to reproduce the problem so that you can confirm it and create a ticket for the support teams.

^ Thanks @RogersTony . Per your advice I've sent a PM to @CommunityHelps and yourself to describe the issue and to have the problem investigated and fixed by Roger's video networking teams.  I understand that @-G- has done likewise.

Regards,

Richard

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Perhaps Rogers have some sort of "auto-stretch" enabled by default, instead of OAR?

See the following topic on Disney+ allowing for 4:3 and 16:9 for The Simpsons...

https://deadline.com/2020/05/disney-the-simpsons-streaming-disney-plus-aspect-ratio-new-feature-1202...

Edit - I realize that the Netflix issue is different, since it stretches 4:3 content.   I was just attempting to show that there are various options available for streaming which we may not be aware of and may be enabled by Rogers.

mkhanley
I've been here awhile

Has any work around been found for this problem?  I’m watch Star Trek NG on Netflix via Ignite and it’s annoying to have everyone stretched out!

Jeremy_K
I plan to stick around
Don’t think so... I was watching a couple of days ago, too, and everyone still looks pretty stretchy!!

RAB12
I'm here a lot

I reported this issue to Rogers about three weeks ago, but so far there's been zero corrective action taken. Sad/frustrating.

Topic Stats
  • 29 replies
  • 20 Likes
  • 13 in conversation