Netflix app expanding 4:3 programs to full-screen

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
baba45terte
I'm Here A Lot

Re: Netflix app expanding 4:3 programs to full-screen

No change in this behaviour since I last posted...if I have some time later today I'm going to report this issue to rogers via a chat session.

mlapsker
I've Been Around

TNG same annoying issue... only on Roger's ignites Netflix app all other Netflix apps on other devices are fine. Def a Roger's problem.
RAB12
I've Been Here Awhile

Yesterday I discovered the same issue with the Netflix app on my (4) Ignite TV set top boxes, in that 4:3 programs (such as old Star Trek episodes) are being expanded to full screen. Captain Kirk and crew look pretty weird all stretched out! I submitted a complaint on this very topic to Rogers today, and provided a link to this forum thread. The agent advised she has "escalated" the issue. Hopefully this will trigger the Rogers tech folks to resolve the problem.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Confirmed.  4:3 content is stretched with the Netflix App on Ignite.  So far, I have not been able to find any workarounds to enable Star Trek (TOS) to play with the correct aspect ratio.

If you pause playback, then click the "Right arrow" button, you can see from the tiles on the bottom of the screen that the content definitely has a 4:3 aspect ratio.

Star Trek plays correctly in 4:3 with the Netflix app on iOS.

@CommunityHelps  What do we need to do to get this investigated and fixed?

RogersTony

Hello, @RAB12 & @-G-

@RAB12 - Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums!

I can understand how annoying it can be to try to watch a program that is supposed to be in 4:3 aspect ratio but it stretches to a 16:9 ratio.

In order for this to be fully investigated, we will need to escalate Tickets to our video networking teams to review. If you are being affected by this issue please send a private message to @CommunityHelps so we can get started. Not familiar with our private messaging system? No worries, Click Here.

We look forward to hearing from you.

RogersTony

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Thanks, @RogersTony .  I will send you a PM with details on how to reproduce the problem so that you can confirm it and create a ticket for the support teams.

RAB12
I've Been Here Awhile

^ Thanks @RogersTony . Per your advice I've sent a PM to @CommunityHelps and yourself to describe the issue and to have the problem investigated and fixed by Roger's video networking teams.  I understand that @-G- has done likewise.

Regards,

Richard

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Perhaps Rogers have some sort of "auto-stretch" enabled by default, instead of OAR?

See the following topic on Disney+ allowing for 4:3 and 16:9 for The Simpsons...

https://deadline.com/2020/05/disney-the-simpsons-streaming-disney-plus-aspect-ratio-new-feature-1202...

Edit - I realize that the Netflix issue is different, since it stretches 4:3 content.   I was just attempting to show that there are various options available for streaming which we may not be aware of and may be enabled by Rogers.

mkhanley
I've Been Here Awhile

Has any work around been found for this problem?  I’m watch Star Trek NG on Netflix via Ignite and it’s annoying to have everyone stretched out!

Jeremy_K
I Plan to Stick Around

Don’t think so... I was watching a couple of days ago, too, and everyone still looks pretty stretchy!!