cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netflix and new rules for password sharing.

garrywx
I've been around

Going to start a discussion and an awareness for Roger's users who watch Netflix on there Rogers Ignite TV box.

I am sure most are now aware that in Canada Netflix will crack down on password sharing. While I agree with this in principal it is going to present problems for subscribers who relocate often and also choose different devices to watch on. With the Ignite TV box, the connection does not come from the same ip. I am not sure at this point how this is. When I look at my devices in the Netflix Manage Access and Devices in the Account Settings, the Rogers box is listed as Comcast - Set Top Box with an IPV6 ip address and listed as located in a nearby Town. My TV an older Samsung Smart TV, is listed as near the town I live in. Anticipating the future, I have a feeling, I will need to log into my TV box whenever I want to use it. (Always as it has voice control) Netflix says to log into your TV and set it as the primary device. I am not home at the moment so cannot see if this option is available on the TV box.

Second to that is rant because I have a cottage and likely will need to be constantly logging in if I set my Primary location to my condo. I could pay the extra 7.99 but it seems unfair as it is really me and my wife and often we are 1 at each location.

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Netflix and new rules for password sharing.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@garrywx  I think it's important not to overreact to this change in policy.  Netflix is not trying to drive away subscribers; they want to stop people from "borrowing" another person's Netflix account.

If somebody (who should not really be using your account) is borrowing your account, tell them to transfer their profile to their own account... or be prepared to pay another $7.99/month.

I also would not worry about where you are logged into your account.  People have multiple residences, vacation properties, and mobile devices where they can be watching Netflix anywhere.  When parents get divorced, their kids will be using one of their parent's accounts on their phones/computers/whatever at the other parents' home.  It's normal for accounts to be used in multiple locations.  Some family members could also be travelling while the others are home.  Netflix will need to figure out how to deal with these situations (and any other valid use cases that they did not anticipate) or risk driving away subscribers... which, again, is the last thing that they would want to do.

RogersYasmine

Hello @garrywx !

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums! We hope you like it here. 🙂

We appreciate you sharing any insights and feedback you may have regarding the upcoming changes to Netflix, with the rest of the Community! 

Take care,

RogersYasmine

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Wow, I did NOT expect that Netflix would be so shortsighted!

https://www.reddit.com/r/ontario/comments/10yc41d/netflix_does_not_appear_to_have_considered_how/

Looks like switching to Bridge Mode, running on my own network gear and getting new IPv4 and IPv6 addressing, will be enough to trigger a warning email.  Hopefully, Netflix will soften their draconian stance.  If they do not, they will end up driving away a lot of customers.

goaliebrent
I plan to stick around

I think you are missing a couple of points on this.  I already pay more for multiple users to be logged in at one time.  I also have a cottage but when I'm at the cottage others will still be at my home.  When I'm at my cottage, Netflix told me I can login and indicate that I'm travelling and will be ok for 7 days.  HOWEVER, I have Starlink where the IP address keeps changing locations.  So that means I will have to login just about every day.  Since I have already paid for extra users, I am not going to pay even more.  There are tens of thousands of Starlink Netflix subscribers.  I will be one of those cancelling.

@goaliebrent wrote:

I think you are missing a couple of points on this.

To be honest, when I made my initial post here, I didn't know how aggressive Netflix would be with their crackdown on password sharing.  After all, the goal is for them to increase their subscriber base, not drive customers away... and Canada is their trial market before they unleash their new policy in the US.

I don't share my Netflix password, and if they ever give me any grief, say for watching Netflix on my iPhone at my parents' house or anywhere outside of my home, I won't hesitate to dump my subscription... and it would take a VERY generous incentive on their part if they ever want to win me back as a customer.  Their service is already overpriced.

Topic Stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 Like
  • 4 in conversation