Manually Set Recording Times Beyond the Presets for Ignite TV

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Manually Set Recording Times Beyond the Presets for Ignite TV

@Rodent wrote:

Why the limit to 1.5 anyway?

Because that's the way that Comcast implemented it.  They built the product to meet, primarily, their requirements, not anyone else's.  Xfinity TV has a lot of good things going for it but their product has grown organically over time and Comcast has also made some insanely stupid design decisions and concessions in every piece of hardware and software that went into the Ignite product portfolio, and that can make for a very frustrating experience at times for the end users/customers.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Rodent wrote:

For the same reason that there is a pause live TV limit. On Ignite the recordings are on their server and each additional feature (in terms of time) means that they need more server capacity, so they try to minimize the $ spend on servers, etc, while still meeting the needs of most of their customers.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@57 wrote:

@Rodent wrote:

For the same reason that there is a pause live TV limit. On Ignite the recordings are on their server and each additional feature (in terms of time) means that they need more server capacity, so they try to minimize the $ spend on servers, etc, while still meeting the needs of most of their customers.

Actually, that's not quite true.  With Ignite, live TV streams are not stored in the cloud; they are buffered in-memory on the set-top box itself, and that is the limiting factor of how long you can pause live TV.  (Contrast that with Fibe TV, which buffers every active stream on the local PVR.  In my previous setup, with two wireless STBs and a PVR, if I tuned to a channel on any box, it would start buffering on the PVR's hard disk, and that buffered content is shared across devices.  If I tuned to one channel on one box, a different channel on the second box, then on the third box, I can switch between both of those channels and access whatever has been buffered on the PVR ,up to the 90 minute limit, for both streams.  If I press "Record" on any box, the entire buffered contents of that program gets recorded.)  With Ignite, if I tune to the same channel on different boxes at different times, I can only access what has been buffered in-memory on that STB.  When watching a live program on Ignite, if I press "Record", I will only record the program from that moment forward; the buffered contents will not be recorded.

As for recorded program content, if 5000 customers record "Saturday Night Live" in its entirety, technically, it is possible to de-duplicate those recordings and store only ONE instance in the cloud.  I don't know if Comcast's platform really can do that in actuality... it probably can and probably does...  but that is a potential benefit to a cloud PVR.  That, AND the benefit of avoiding the higher cost of ownership of in-home PVRs with spinning disks... and the benefit of not losing all of the recordings when the in-home PVR fails.

dogfish
I've Been Around

I there a way to alter the default DVR recording settings with Ignite? On my Nextbox, I was able to change the default settings so that ALL recorded shows stopped 5 minutes after the schedule stop time. I did not have to go through several extra steps to accomplish this. How do I change the default settings in Ignite to stop recording 5 minutes after the scheduled show ending?

I have found on several occasions where the last last few moments of a recorded movie or show have been truncated. In no instance where these shows delayed because of previous program delays. I find this particularly frustrating when it occurs while watching a mystery!

Don_Ca
I'm a Reliable Contributor

No. There is no default. We used to set 2 minutes early on start and 5 minutes late stop. Now I have to do this manually every time.
Rodent
I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks for that info. I do hate that when I want to record a program I've been watching for 10 minutes will only stars recording at the point of time when I hit the record button. The old Rogers PVR would record whatever was buffered for that program and I do really miss that as many movies are only airing the once based on the info. Good to know Bell Fibe has that solved, now I just need to wait for them to come to my area.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Rodent wrote:

Thanks for that info. I do hate that when I want to record a program I've been watching for 10 minutes will only stars recording at the point of time when I hit the record button. The old Rogers PVR would record whatever was buffered for that program and I do really miss that as many movies are only airing the once based on the info. Good to know Bell Fibe has that solved, now I just need to wait for them to come to my area.

This is not a problem on Bell Fibe right now because they are still installing a local PVR (with a spinning hard disk) that buffers and stores media streams locally.  That allows Fibe TV to work just like a Rogers Digital TV PVR.  It even buffers the stream for the Fibe wireless receivers.

HOWEVER, I think that Bell will ultimately migrate their customers to a cloud PVR when they transition their service from Mediaroom to the MediaFirst platform.