Manually Set Recording Times Beyond the Presets for Ignite TV

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Manually Set Recording Times Beyond the Presets for Ignite TV

We have had ignite for a couple of months now (and yes, the wireless range sucks big time - but that's a different topic). My present issue is how to extend the recording time by an hour or two or three as I see fit. NHL playoffs are starting soon, which means OT games extending beyond the scheduled time slot. Is there any way to capture the extended time in the same recording, or am I left to record the scheduled game and then tack on individual recordings of the next 3 or more hours and however many shows that may be?

On the pvr, we could set start and stop times as we fit. Is this feature not available on ignite?

**Labels Added**

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Manually Set Recording Times Beyond the Presets for Ignite TV

@CaseyLondon wrote:

On the pvr, we could set start and stop times as we fit. Is this feature not available on ignite?

You must be talking about the 15 year old 8300HD PVRs using SARA firmware.  Navigatr firmware on the NB2/3 and the firmware that runs Ignite should have preset options to start something like 5, 15, 30, 60, 180 minutes early or end similar numbers late.  You can usually set defaults under Rogers - settings, or as you set the recording itself.

Highlighted

Hey @CaseyLondon

Totally appreciate wanting to ensure you're not missing out on any of the program, with our Ignite TV service it's designed so that the recording starts and ends with the program as opposed to a set time :). Regarding your WiFi range that's certainly resolvable with our Whole Home WiFi option. I definitely recommend reaching out to support for assistance with that. We'll definitely want to ensure that Ignite TV is performing as intended and meeting your needs :).

@RogersAndy

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Hi Andy. Having the software extend automatically until the program ends should take care of the NHL / Blue Jays OT issue.

That said, it doesn't help in the slightest for the OHL playoffs - which don't even show up in the Guide listings. Having to search independently for game start times is okay, but having to record a series of half hour shows to cover the overall game time is silly.

The max each 30 / 60 /90 minute show can be extended is 30 minutes on our Ignite set up (the extend options for 1/2 hour, 1 hour and 1.5 hour shows seems to be 3 / 5 /30 minutes). It's only when the show hits 2 hours do the record extending options go 30 / 60 / 90 minutes.

The solution seems to be to either have the Guide show what's actually playing, to allow users to access all extend time options regardless of show lengths, or to allow users to choose their own start and stop time.

For the time being, Ignite, for whatever the perceived upsides, given the serious WiFi range issues and the recording quirks, still falls under the "proceed with caution" banner

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Recording Extended times shortened. I noticed they have dropped the 3hr extended time on manual recordings. We wanted to watch the men U.S open tennis championship. we set the recording and were only allowed to add an addition 1.5hrs extra onto the recording. We lost the final interviews because of it and just made it to the end on the final overtime game. What happened to the 3 hour extension that was possible before. Same for Playoff hockey, what happens when it goes into triple overtime. 

No longer happy with the service.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Here are my comments on the topic (I don't have Ignite, but have been following all the threads).

1. As discussed earlier in this thread, to which your post was probably moved, was 3 hours ever available on Ignite?

2. Ignite should extend any (live sports) programming automatically to catch the end of a particular programme.  It doesn't work like Legacy Digital Cable where the programme is "fixed" (Navigatr).  I realize that sometimes it may not work properly.

3. Rather then extend the recording, record the programme (or programmes) that follow the programme of interest.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@57 wrote:

2. Ignite should extend any (live sports) programming automatically to catch the end of a particular programme.  It doesn't work like Legacy Digital Cable where the programme is "fixed" (Navigatr).  I realize that sometimes it may not work properly.

For many live event broadcasts, Ignite often does do this.  I remember once recording a Leafs game (that went into OT) and getting pleasantly surprised when the recording got extended automatically.  With Ignite, when you set up a recording, it sometimes even explicitly says in the UI that the recording will get extended automatically.  (I don't know how this actually works in the background, whether this requires human intervention in real-time or if live events actually get recorded long and Rogers then "adjusts" the end-time of those recordings afterwards.)

Another option is to set up a totally manual recording as follows: Click Guide, press "Left" to highlight the channel, press "OK/Select", select Record, then set up your manual recording.  You can record up to 12 hours of content at a time.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@-G- wrote:  (I don't know how this actually works in the background, whether this requires human intervention in real-time or if live events actually get recorded long and Rogers then "adjusts" the end-time of those recordings afterwards.)

Here's a link. IPTV allows for real time IPG updates.

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/TV/IPG-Inconsistencies/m-p/466713#M52587

IPTV-based platform and guide updates can come in much faster. Even in real-time which is evident when recording an event that goes on longer than the guide has scheduled, the recording doesn't cut off at the end time in the guide.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@57 wrote:
https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/TV/IPG-Inconsistencies/m-p/466713#M52587

IPTV-based platform and guide updates can come in much faster.

That's just referring to the frequency of IPTV guide updates, and why the guide data for sporting events is usually more accurate on Ignite TV.

Even in real-time which is evident when recording an event that goes on longer than the guide has scheduled, the recording doesn't cut off at the end time in the guide.

The Cloud PVR is what makes this possible, and when you watch an extended recording on Ignite, the timeline shows where the recording was supposed to end, followed by a break, followed by the timeline of the extended portion of the recording.  At some point, the process of extending a recording dynamically involves human intervention but my uncertainty was around the specifics of how the recording actually gets extended behind the scenes and by whom.  I didn't think that the originating broadcaster would have a mechanism of pushing such (literally) last-minute programming updates directly in real-time but it could be done by the company that provides the EPG data to Rogers.  I know that the start/end times of the guide metadata are also separate from how the program appears in the Guide's program grid... and accidents/errors/inconsistencies in the metadata can also cause programs to record short.

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Hi, in response to item 1, yes I have used it in the past for sports. Item 2 does not always work, and for item 3, that is an option but why not allow one to record however long after a manual setting would be a lot easier.  Why the limit to 1.5 anyway?