Macroblocking on ABC

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Macroblocking on ABC

@57 wrote:

@ghcharters wrote:

If I "videotape" (another senior's term) an example, is there any way I could send it to you and/or @-G-  ?

If you record something, to say a phone, you could upload it to any of the many video-sharing websites and then post a link to that recording in this thread. That way anyone can comment.

I've uploaded a recording for youtube ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6JAY5b6lyU )from the live broadcast this morning (Friday) It's not horrendous (i.e. not as extended as some I've seen) but shows clearly what I've been seeing with these kinds of scenes. As you can see from the bottom right corner, it's about an hour and 41 minutes in.   

Are others seeing this? Again, the problem is not pervasive, but I've also seen it in the past on Dancing with the Stars with the same kind of action.For the most part, my "reception" is very good!

I WILL spend  time this weekend working on the suggestions that @57 has made for improving the picture in general. Thanks.

I Plan to Stick Around

@ghcharters Wow.  No, I haven't seen anything like that.  I was just being VERY nitpicky about encoding issues.  I didn't experience any video breakup whatsoever.  My video quality was comparable to watching the same content on GMA's YouTube channel.  Do you have this program recorded and if so, do you see these same problems if you view it with the Ignite TV app or view it on https://ignitetv.rogers.com/ ?  Also, is there any difference in playback quality if you download the content first?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@ghcharters : Here are my comments:  Please remember I'm on Digital Cable, not IgniteTV.

1. I have never seen that kind of glitchiness or video breakup or macroblocking, depending on the particular second viewed in that clip.

2. Although the optimized picture settings I mentioned earlier will make your picture look better, no amount of TV tweaking is going to overcome what I saw in your clip.  That is really bad.

3. Your picture colour is way over saturated if that clip is representative of what you see on your TV. Please try a different picture mode (like User, custom, etc) along with reduced Sharpness, colour and contrast settings.  Which picture mode are you currently on and what is the make/model of your TV?

I Plan to Stick Around

@-G- wrote:

@ghcharters Wow.  No, I haven't seen anything like that.  I was just being VERY nitpicky about encoding issues.  I didn't experience any video breakup whatsoever.  My video quality was comparable to watching the same content on GMA's YouTube channel.  Do you have this program recorded and if so, do you see these same problems if you view it with the Ignite TV app or view it on https://ignitetv.rogers.com/ ?  Also, is there any difference in playback quality if you download the content first?

I've viewed the recording on my TV, on the Ignite App and on my laptop at https://ignitetv.rogers.com/    They are all the same as what I saw live and recorded with my phone. As for the download, it took me a bit to figure out just how to do it, but I finally got it. Same results. So the problem is not my TV. I'm stumped!

I Plan to Stick Around

@ghchartersOne more suggestion: Pull the power plug on your Xi6 set-top-box, wait a few seconds, plug it back in, and re-watch the recording.  (This will reset the hardware and re-stream the video.)  Do you see the exact same problems again in the exact same places? 

I noticed that your video momentarily froze, keyframes were getting dropped, and it looked like you were dropping to a lower bitrate.  If the problem replicates EXACTLY, it would point to an upstream issue on Rogers' side.  If it reproduces differently or doesn't reproduce at all, the problem is on your side.

I Plan to Stick Around

@ghcharters wrote:

@-G- wrote:

I've viewed the recording on my TV, on the Ignite App and on my laptop at https://ignitetv.rogers.com/    They are all the same as what I saw live and recorded with my phone. As for the download, it took me a bit to figure out just how to do it, but I finally got it. Same results. So the problem is not my TV. I'm stumped!

Thanks.  That points to a problem on Rogers side.

It's also possible that there could have been a problem with the live source feed itself.  However, if that were the case, then everybody (or at least everybody watching on Ignite TV) would have seen it.

Searched YouTube and found a home recording that a fan uploaded: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQHcMtkSi9E

Skipped to the 2:00 mark and didn't see any problems.

I Plan to Stick Around

@57 wrote:

@ghcharters : Here are my comments:  Please remember I'm on Digital Cable, not IgniteTV.

1. I have never seen that kind of glitchiness or video breakup or macroblocking, depending on the particular second viewed in that clip.

2. Although the optimized picture settings I mentioned earlier will make your picture look better, no amount of TV tweaking is going to overcome what I saw in your clip.  That is really bad.

3. Your picture colour is way over saturated if that clip is representative of what you see on your TV. Please try a different picture mode (like User, custom, etc) along with reduced Sharpness, colour and contrast settings.  Which picture mode are you currently on and what is the make/model of your TV?

Interesting! It doesn't appear to be related to my TV since I'm seeing the same thing playing back on my phone and laptop. (see my last post to @-G-)  

As far as your suggestions about TV Settings, I WILL be checking them out this weekend. Our set is an LG OLED55C7P . The picture mode is "STANDARD", although I've made a few changes. Brightness 50 changed to 56, Color Temperature C20 to W4, Black Level Low to Auto.  For a lot of our viewing, in our lighting conditions, we just find the STANDARD setting more to our liking.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@ghcharters wrote:

As far as your suggestions about TV Settings, I WILL be checking them out this weekend. Our set is an LG OLED55C7P . The picture mode is "STANDARD", although I've made a few changes. Brightness 50 changed to 56, Color Temperature C20 to W4, Black Level Low to Auto.  For a lot of our viewing, in our lighting conditions, we just find the STANDARD setting more to our liking.

I had a quick look at the online operating manual for your TV and have the following suggestion.

1. Try Cinema instead of Standard. 

2. This may seem "dull" to begin with, however, bear with me for a short time and give it a try.

3. In order to compensate for the "darker/duller" image in Cinema, increase the Backlight setting if possible.

4. Try adjusting contrast to compensate as well...

5. You should find the colours more natural.  When I looked at your video, the colours were way over-saturated, almost looked like "Vivid" mode.

6. Try adjusting the black level so that images don't appear washed out. Tune to a channel like CP24 and look at the black part of the image.  Raise the black level until the black appears grey.  Then lower the black level until it doesn't get any blacker.  Do this a few times and you'll find the transition point when the black is as black as it'll get without "crushing" the blacks. Usually this is around 50, but it can vary from TV to TV.  The other way is to go well below 50 and raise the black level until the black on the screen just starts to turn grey.  This should be the same setting as you got when lowering the level.

Good luck.

I Plan to Stick Around

@-G- wrote:

@ghchartersOne more suggestion: Pull the power plug on your Xi6 set-top-box, wait a few seconds, plug it back in, and re-watch the recording.  (This will reset the hardware and re-stream the video.)  Do you see the exact same problems again in the exact same places? 

I noticed that your video momentarily froze, keyframes were getting dropped, and it looked like you were dropping to a lower bitrate.  If the problem replicates EXACTLY, it would point to an upstream issue on Rogers' side.  If it reproduces differently or doesn't reproduce at all, the problem is on your side.

I did as you suggested and the problem was replicated exactly. I saw it freeze as well as break up. I don't know how to detect dropped keyframes and I'm not sure about the bitrate. 

I Plan to Stick Around

@ghcharters wrote:

@-G- wrote:

I did as you suggested and the problem was replicated exactly. I saw it freeze as well as break up. I don't know how to detect dropped keyframes and I'm not sure about the bitrate. 

Thanks! Also, my apologies for putting you through extra work!  I wrote up/posted that tip just as you posted your test results confirming that the problem was not on your end, so this additional test wasn't really necessary.  Nevertheless, this adds extra confirmation that the root cause of the problem is on Rogers' side, either a problem with the feed itself or in the Ignite TV back-end infrastructure.  Please report the problem (formally) to Rogers Tech Support and be sure to keep that recording so that they can see what was going on.  (That's the best thing about a cloud PVR -- if the recording is garbled, they can't blame it on a "weak signal" to your home, bad line, or a faulty receiver.)

I also still notice glitches from time to time in my recorded programs as well.  I recently recorded "2010" on Hollywood Suite.  One recording had occasional audio drops and "skips" in the video.  (The playback problems replicated just like yours did, confirming that the problem is on the Rogers side.)  The same program (recorded a few hours later) was pristine.  These transient problems can be really hard to troubleshoot.