Lost a ton of volume moving to Ignite?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Lost a ton of volume moving to Ignite?

So just moved from Digital cable to Ignite.  Have my setop box connected via an AVR (Anthem AVM60).

I have lost about 20db of volume, in the sense that I need to turn my AVR to say -20db to get the same amount of volume I did with digital cable at 40.

Any ideas? Is there a volume setting I'm missing somewhere?

***Added Labels***

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Lost a ton of volume moving to Ignite?

@PVC  The only audio settings for the Ignite set-top box are in Settings / Device Settings / Audio"

On your old Digital TV set-top box, did you happen to change the "audio range" to Narrow and could that be why its output levels were different?  On Ignite, is the audio level different on another channel or is it consistent on all channels?  Do you hear any difference in volume if your change HDMI Audio Output to Stereo (PCM)?

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I would say it's generally consistent across channels. The 4K music video channel is probably the worse.

Doesn't make a difference if I switch to Stereo or Expert mode.

Is there some sort of gain/volume setting on the box itself, e.g., similar say to an Android TV box that has its own volume? When I hit volume up on the rogers remote it wants to try and use the TV volume.
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Are you using the same input on the AVR for Ignite as before? Some AVRs allow you to vary the volume by input, thereby equalizing the volume across a number of devices that may have different output volumes. I know that on my Denon, I've adjusted each of the many inputs to equalize the volume on DVD, BD, Phone, Tape, VCR, PVR, TV, etc.  I'm not sure if this is possible in your Anthem, but it should be somewhere under user settings and even if you don't need to equalize with other equipment, you may be able to boost the volume of the Ignite input.

Are you seeing (hearing) the same thing on recordings as on live TV. For example, recordings are presented to the Ignite box as improperly encoded DD5.1 with only the LF & RF channels active. This would make for a lower volume than live or OD programming.  For recordings, to get surround sound you'd need to set the Ignite box to "stereo" to allow the AVR to decode the incoming signal using say DPLII to provide surround sound.

Highlighted
I'm a Reliable Contributor

These are the volume level settings for normal listening on my Sony 7.1.2 AVR:

25 Ignite (live or recorded)
25 Netflix (ARC to AVR)
18 YouTube (ARC to AVR)
23 BluRay Player
25 Android Media Player
18 FM Radio
16 Chromecast of TuneIn from phone

None of these put any load on my AVR and it is easy to adjust the levels when I initially select a source. Bottom line is no issue here with the Ignite box.