cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for Guidance on Intel NUC boxes and Configuration

Philip144
I plan to stick around

I currently have Rogers Communications Inc. providing Home Telephone, Cable TV and Internet Services through their Rogers Ignite TV bundled service.  These work off a single Arris Modem Model G3482ER3, Part No. TG02DCW3482RG and a copper coax drop from Rogers distribution network.  The Home Phone service connects back to the original (51 years old) in-house Bell 2-pair copper wiring using the standard 2-pair copper wire and RJ11.  The Internet Services are accessed by CAT6 RJ45 cabling in-house and by WiFi (2.4G and 5G 8021.11ac).  The Cable TV is fed by the Arris Modem to an Arris wireless pickup device hard-wired (HDMI) to the TV using WiFi 5G.

The TV is a Samsung UN46D8000 “Smart TV” now 10 years old. We find the “Smart” useless because it is cumbersome, complicated and needs multiple tiny control boxes to use. 

I am considering dumping the “Cable TV” aspect of the above in favour of streaming using an Intel NUC box running Windows 10 and the Ignite TV App for Windows provided by Rogers.  We have a tiny Microsoft folding Bluetooth keyboard and a Microsoft ARC Mouse that are very much easier to use than the cumbersome control devices.

I currently have an old Intel NUC6i7KYK doing this “streaming”, but it needs upgrading, so my question is what is the best NUC box to use and which configuration of RAM and Storage?  For streaming and occasional browsing is, or “will”:-

1. a Core i5 or i7 be preferred
  2. is 16GB RAM enough
  3. is a common 256GB SSD drive sufficient

Keep in mind I am looking at a 10-year time frame.

There is also the question of how Rogers is addressing the future.  Its Ignite TV on the regular “Cable TV” service includes access to Apps such as Netflix.  The Windows version does not include the Apps because it assumes you do this through Windows. The question is “which way to go?”

Lastly, the ability of the NUC feed to provide excellent quality and easy to see video is not an issue, but, backing out of the several streaming feeds back into Windows is – the screen becomes washed out and hard to read the text choices.  Perhaps I need to be advised on the best Windows settings for that issue.  Suggestions would be welcomed.

**Labels Added**

10 REPLIES 10

Re: Looking for Guidance on Intel NUC boxes and Configuration

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Philip144 wrote:

Lastly, the ability of the NUC feed to provide excellent quality and easy to see video is not an issue, but, backing out of the several streaming feeds back into Windows is – the screen becomes washed out and hard to read the text choices.  Perhaps I need to be advised on the best Windows settings for that issue.  Suggestions would be welcomed.

This is due to the HDMI colour space being used.  If you search the Internet for "htpc hdmi rgb full limited" you will find a number of helpful articles explaining why this occurs and what you can do to fix it.

Lurker_Returns
I'm a reliable contributor
"I am considering dumping the “Cable TV” aspect of the above in favour of streaming using an Intel NUC box running Windows 10 and the Ignite TV App for Windows provided by Rogers."

Um, if you're not paying for Cable TV, there's nothing you're going to be able to watch on the Ignite TV app.

The Ignite TV app only streams content because you're subscribed to that content via your cable subscription.

Philip144
I plan to stick around

I understand that.  It is not the issue at hand.  Thank you.

Lurker_Returns
I'm a reliable contributor
Sorry. Misunderstood your post

Alex4161
I'm a senior contributor

I currently have an Intel NUC8i5BEH with 16 GB RAM and a 512GB Samsung 970 Evo Plus SSD which is used for various things in the home.  I will say that I probably WON'T be looking at another NUC as there are power-related issues I had with this device from a motherboard level and had to RMA the system back to Intel.  I have had the system for less than 2 years and had to reinstall Win 10 2x due to hardware issues.  These devices are also VERY PICKY with Ram for some reason. The current replacement is working well, but you are really paying for the size.  

I will be honest and say that there is no such concept of 10 years in computers and this is from an IT guy who has been doing this for over 25 years.  If you want something robust, I would look at building a system around a Mini-ITX board with server-grade or high-end gaming components.  These boards offer better capacitors, heat management, and overall stability vs. the NUC.  These are geared for long hours of intense gaming sessions where performance and stability are critical and can easily handle Home Theatre work.  I am a fan of Asus boards as I have been using their products since the early 90's and they do last if you do the firmware updates.  Depending on the case, it will be larger than a 4-inch x 4-inch NUC as most Mini-ITX systems will be around 7-inch x 7-inch which is still perfectly small and easy enough to conceal.

If you are running Windows 10, I would opt for an i5 16 GB ram, and go with a Samsung 512 Gb SSD.  The price difference from 256 GB to 512 GB is not that much but it will offer better longevity.  This link also has some suggestions for Windows Media Friendly software:  https://windowsreport.com/media-center-software-windows/

You can use this PC with your Ignite service and add dedicated Netflix and other apps to get the best experience.

Don't forget to also get a few compressed air cans to blow away any dust/dirt built up in your computer.  I can't tell you the number of times I have had to fix people's computers due to overheating issues.

Philip144
I plan to stick around
Very informative and helpful, thank you. "Home Theatre" is the aspect I am looking at and I state "10 years" because in my life i have built many systems for clients and friends many of which are still running happily for the user who bought it from me 10 or more years ago! I share your concerns about NUC, one unit has been replaced, but the NUC6i7KYK is a dogs breakfast!!

Alex4161
I'm a senior contributor
I believe Intel does make gaming NUCs if the size is critical: https://www.intel.ca/content/www/ca/en/products/docs/boards-kits/nuc/nuc-gaming.html

I still would rather build my own PC as you have done in the past.

BTW, I know what you mean about long-lasting electronics. My current Asus K53E laptop from Nov 2011 works great and is what I am using now to type this message. I also have an HP Laserjet 2100 bought back in 1999 that is my home printer and is the only printer I have been using to date.

I will say that they don't build things like that anymore with planned obsolescence in mind.

Philip144
I plan to stick around
We use the NUC8i7HVK (2 of them) for desktop computing - a great device. I am going to try the new NUC11 Enthusiast (if, as and when) as an upgrade. But my need expressed in my first posting here is for a "Home Theatre" system that streams and browses only - what is the optimal configuration where cost is important. To me this is the future of what we call "Television" - 100% streaming.

Alex4161
I'm a senior contributor

The NUC8i7HVK is something I was considering at one point though overkill for my needs. I think any recent low-powered i5, 16 GB ram, and an SSD should be fine. Keep in mind that the video card is driven by the CPU on the NUCs as they don't have a dedicated video card.

Philip144
I plan to stick around
The NUC8i7HVK has Radon RX VEGA graphics processor and supports up to 6 VR devices.

The new NUC Enthusiast has an NVIDIA GPU and IRIS Xe graphics processor.
Topic Stats
  • 10 replies
  • 5 Likes
  • 4 in conversation