Lack of optical audio input on new rogers ignite box - Help!

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Lack of optical audio input on new rogers ignite box - Help!

Hi,

Looking for some help with sound setup of my new rogers ignite box. Had the engineer over last week to install and he instantly stepped away when he noticed that I had an optical cable connecting my current rogers Nextbox and my Pioneer VSX-820 receiver (Optical In 1: CD-R Tape Input). I also have an optical cable connecting my receiver (Optical In 2) to the Digital Audio Out port. I have multiple HDMI connections (Samsung TV 7100, Apple TV, Blue-ray player, PS3) However, not sure how I'm supposed to now get audio now that I have no option to connect an optical cable to the new ignite box. I've tried moving the optical connections around (In 1 for TV and 2 for cable box) but this disconnects the sound. Wondering if I need to try with AV cables, play with input signal settings on receiver, or some other solution I've not even thought about!

Any advice on this very much appreciated before the engineer returns next week and I still don't have a solution! 😉

***Edited Labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Lack of optical audio input on new rogers ignite box - Help!

Why can't you use HDMI from Ignite box to AVR? Your TV should be using the AVR's HDMI output, so you should have one more HDMI input if I counted your devices properly.  

If you're out of HDMI inputs on the AVR you could perhaps purchase some sort of external HDMI switch that would allow you to feed more HDMI devices than you have AVR inputs.  Or you could use an optical output from one of your 4 devices that currently use HDMI and feed that device's video signal directly to the TV via HDMI.  Of course you'd need to set up the audio menu for that device properly so that it would use the Optical Output for audio instead of HDMI.  You'd also then need to "tell" the AVR to use the optical input for that device instead of HDMI.  I believe the PS3 should allow for that.

Another option may be to run HDMI directly to the TV from the Ignite box and an optical cable from the TV to the AVR. You would need to turn the "external speakers" on in the TV's audio menu so that the signal goes out that optical cable.  Most newer TVs will allow you to "passthrough" the audio signal from the HDMI in to the optical output.  Obviously if you do this you'll need to switch inputs on the TV as well as on the AVR.

Here's an FAQ on DD5.1 that may help - read the bolded part.

https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/30-57s-home-theatre-faqs/17870-faq-whats-available-dd5-1-a.html

I have no idea what you mean when you say:

"I had an optical cable connecting my current rogers Nextbox and my Pioneer VSX-820 receiver (Optical In 1: CD-R Tape Input). I also have an optical cable connecting my receiver (Optical In 2) to the Digital Audio Out port." 

Why wouldn't you only have one Optical cable from the Nextbox output to an optical input on the AVR?

Your title also states "Optical input" on rogers ignite. There are no inputs on Rogers boxes, only outputs.  Please don't confuse outputs and inputs.

I've Been Here Awhile

I plug all my HDMI into my TV and take the Optical out of the TV into my Bose system. This way what every you watch on the TV sends the sound to the Bose. Just make sure your settings on the TV allow the audio to pass through.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Marcus2323 : Although that will work for most TVs and for DD5.1 audio, it doesn't allow for HD audio like you would get from a PS3 or BD player. (Dolby TrueHD, DTS-MA).  For that you would need to connect directly from those devices to the AVR.

Also, a lot of newer TVs don't have that many HDMI inputs...

I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks vm for all the suggestions. Managed to change the signal settings on the receiver from analog to HDMI for that particular input and do away with the optical cable. Sorted!