cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issues with shows recording more then once

Fookaroo
I plan to stick around

I've only had Ignite TV for a few months now, coming from Bell Fibe having all kinds of issues with setting up recordings. I am having a problem with shows recording more then once when set to only record new episodes. Example, I set a show to record new episode Friday night at 8pm. That records on the channel i want, then again at 4am, it records again as its in the guide listed as new, then again, same channel righte now, its recording it again. Help! Any tips on how to avoid this?

***Added Labels***

78 REPLIES 78

Re: Issues with shows recording more then once

sesinger
I plan to stick around

It seems to have worked using the browser, but I know it didn't using the TV or the App. We'll see if it stays on channel 8.

Thanks.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@sesinger wrote: It seems to have worked using the browser, but I know it didn't using the TV or the App. We'll see if it stays on channel 8.

I checked just after your post and was able to set a series recording for Omar on CFTODT, just like it's shown in my screenshot post.  I could choose HD, SD, CFTODT using the box connected to the TV.

After confirming that was possible, I cancelled the series and I set a single recording for Omar at 11PM.  I just checked and it was recording on CTV channel 8.

I'm not sure why that doesn't work for you.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@57 wrote:  I have PM'd @CommunityHelps regarding the issue and we'll see if anything can be done.

A case number was opened, however, it was also closed because : 

...guide and recording options are working correctly for your tv box and they closed it.

Typical response from Rogers!  No attempt appears to have been made to address the issue (nuance) of "This Time Only" as reported.  I just spent over an hour on Chat to find that out, after explaining the issue again to two different CSRs.  What a waste of my time this has been.

After all this PMing and chatting and getting nowhere, they asked me to go to Rogers.com and click "feedback".  I don't believe that I'm going to bang my head against this wall any more.

debiwaite
I plan to stick around
I have spent hours & hours on the issue of Ignite TV unable to record a series weekly, at same day, time & channel. What I've learned is that it doesn't work consistently, or at all. Rogers tech doesn't understand the issue no matter how many people you talk to. It might relate to whether you use the app on android or ios or the system is just flawed. If you choose "record series" it most often doesn't even offer the choice "when to record" and when it does, it records whenever it comes on regardless of day or time. It's a mess. You must remember to check your recordings weekly to ensure the pvr version has taped. Otherwise you can use on demand and put up with commercials. Their old legacy system worked but ignite doesn't. Don't waste any more time trying to get it to work.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I PM'd the mods and they escalated a ticket 3 weeks ago (after they contacted me - they had duplicated the issue and thought it was worthwhile escalating).  I have not heard back, but at least my ticked is not yet closed.  (Rogers did close an earlier ticket as mentioned in my previous post, but I got the mods to escalate.)  I'm not sure if anything will be done since this is in Comcast hands.

Interestingly, if the programme is not marked "new" and if it's marked repeat, it will not record twice. The system seems to see that you already have that programme recorded and will not re-record it.  I assume the "new "modifier overrides that "check" and the programme gets recorded due to having the same programme name.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Since it's been 3 weeks, I PM'd the mods and they said that the ticket was closed on October 9.  The forum mods have been most helpful, but the Rogers Ticketing Team don't appear to understand the issue and just close the ticket saying that nothing is wrong.  I'm definitely going to stop banging my head against this wall now.

That doesn’t work either I’ve tried both and it records and different times, dates and channels. Rogers needs to hire a team that know how to make their product user friendly. Wishing I stayed with Bell Fibe as Rogers won’t even provide a HDMI to Component conversion device so we can get a Hi-Definition signal to our television where Bell Fibe did
Rogers Help desk suggest we get a new television meaning the don’t care about environmental waste or customer satisfaction it’s all about the $$$$

lakers1
I've been here awhile
I'm with you. Rogers just doesn't seem to get it. So very frustrating for such a simple issue. Their corporate slogan should be "We're not happy till you're not happy!"

KQ9
I've been around
I have this issue as well and it is incredibly annoying.
The problem is that Rogers did not include the “this time slot only” option to the Recording settings which is what they had in the NextBox recording settings.
Please put this feature back in!!! It is desperately needed.

sesinger
I plan to stick around

I schedule my recordings using the web interface on my laptop. After I schedule a recording if I go back into the recording options and click on Modify, it now has a When to Record option which wasn't there when I first scheduled the program.

lakers1
I've been here awhile
I tried that but it did not work for me.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@sesinger wrote:

...After I schedule a recording if I go back into the recording options and click on Modify, it now has a When to Record option which wasn't there when I first scheduled the program.

As discussed in my earlier posts in this thread, the "This Time Only" option does nothing. For example, CTV News Toronto (Channel 8 in Toronto) airs at noon, 6PM and 11:30PM.  No matter what you set, you'll see three recordings every day on the weekdays.

Here's a sample posts with many that follow after that, including my attempts with Rogers mods.

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Ignite-TV/Issues-with-shows-recording-more-then-once/m-p/49685...

In an earlier post, I also mentioned why you don't get extra recordings if the programme is not marked new - quote below:

Interestingly, if the programme is not marked "new" and if it's marked repeat, it will not record twice. The system seems to see that you already have that programme recorded and will not re-record it.  I assume the "new "modifier overrides that "check" and the programme gets recorded due to having the same programme name.

dmmarhue
I've been around

this is sooo dumb..........three years later from when this post was started, I am having the same problem.

I switched to Iginite yesterday from legacy system and the whole guide and Recordings functionality is a huge step backward on Ignite from legacy system. I thought I was missing something so I have jumped on here to see what I can find to see that this has been a problem for YEARS! Another big missing function is that I cannot set a specific day and time slot for recording for e.g. If I want CTV London News to record ONLY every Friday night @ 11 PM, this is impossible. How, How? smh.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@dmmarhue wrote:

If I want CTV London News to record ONLY every Friday night @ 11 PM, this is impossible. How, How? smh.

For these situations I simply set a single recording every week or two.  It's a bit of a pain, but it does work and only takes a few seconds.

Yes, this is a sad situation.  It's really up to Comcast to fix this since Rogers licenses the technology from them, but when I search for the issue on Comcast's forum, there are even fewer complaints than there are here on Rogers.

As I stated earlier in this thread, Rogers is aware and have forwarded our complaints, but as to whether this will ever be fixed, we'll have to wait and see....

@dmmarhue wrote:

Recordings functionality is a huge step backward on Ignite from legacy system. 

I totally disagree with you on this statement. I find the IgniteTV guide to be much more accurate and has other benefits compared to Legacy Digital cable.  For example, recording my Formula 1 or Formula E races is much easier and better.  Although I still "babysit" my recordings, doing so is easier, faster, especially using the App or the website and there are far fewer errors.

Is it perfect - No. Is it better, yes much better.

PS. Searching the guide for specific upcoming programming or actors was almost impossible with legacy, whereas IgniteTV voice commands (or searching using the app or website) make this easy.

BLW
I plan to stick around

There is a way to deal with this issue that might work.  When you set your record options, set  a maximum number to keep that will make sure you don't end up with many copies of the same program.  For example, we record the national news every day, and it's on multiple times on different channels.  But we set the record option to only keep 3, and it keeps the most recent, so we never have more than that sitting on recorded.   That should also work for weekly shows provided that you keep reasonably up to date on watching.

SUPER helpful.  Thanks so much!  This was super frustrating but your instructions fixed it.

Topic Stats