cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issues with shows recording more then once

Fookaroo
I plan to stick around

I've only had Ignite TV for a few months now, coming from Bell Fibe having all kinds of issues with setting up recordings. I am having a problem with shows recording more then once when set to only record new episodes. Example, I set a show to record new episode Friday night at 8pm. That records on the channel i want, then again at 4am, it records again as its in the guide listed as new, then again, same channel righte now, its recording it again. Help! Any tips on how to avoid this?

***Added Labels***

78 REPLIES 78

Re: Issues with shows recording more then once

debiwaite
I plan to stick around

Your solution doesn't work. The feature required is only available on the Ignite TV app where you can modify the series recording only after ýou record it and that doesn't work every time. You can't do it on the TV. Also the IGNITE app is out of sync with your TV. Changes to record don't always show up on your TV. Roger's needs to fix this. 

Hello @debiwaite!

We'd be happy to take a closer look to see what is going on! Feel free to send a private message to @CommunityHelps so we can assist you further. For more information on how our Private Messaging system works, you can find out more here.  

Regards,

RogersCorey

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@RogersCorey : I'm not sure what you're going to do, other than provide feedback to Comcast so that the deficiencies in the IgniteTV recording options are addressed. There is currently no way to do a "timeslot" recording, nor is there a way to limit the recording to a particular day of the week.  There are other advantages to IgniteTV, however, the only workaround for the issues discussed in this thread is to set single recordings.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

There is one other slim possibility for those people who get 3 recordings of the news at 3 different times of the day and that is to have the broadcasters label these programmes differently instead of having the same programme name three times a day. I mentioned this in an earlier post in this thread:

The broadcasters themselves could help out by labelling their programming differently for the different timeslots.  For example, CTV could have "CTV News Noon", "CTV News Six" (airs at 5:59PM), "CTV News 11:30PM". Or something similar for other similar news broadcasts depending on the channel."

debiwaite
I plan to stick around

RECORD SERIES: what I have learned is the following;

- the guide ON THE TV can't record a series properly. When you select "all episodes" it records every episode in the guide for weeks even if you choose NEW.

- the ONLY WAY to record a series is to USE THE IGNITE APP on your phone or tablet, RECORD ONE SHOW and WAIT until it has recorded, then FIND that recording in the app, select it, then select

record options/modify recording/when to record/this time only. 

Hard to understand why Rogers hasn't made this work on the TV because why does a big screen TV watcher want to hold a remote and a tablet to try to record a series? A major flaw in an otherwise  great system.

The Rogers tech help I've consulted (3) have not been trained on this nor is there any explanation anywhere to help customers. Huge waste of time for Rogers TV watchers.

Hope this helps someone.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@debiwaite : Thank you so much for the tip. I also almost always set my recordings via the set top box. The only time I set recordings from the app is if I'm travelling.  I do use the app sometimes to check on my scheduled or recorded programming if I'm on my computer or tablet anyway...

One  minor note. Once you've scheduled the recording you do not need to wait until it has recorded to modify it so that it only records "this time only".  You can do that from your scheduled list, but only via the app, not via the STB.

This "This Time Only" (timeslot) option should help the people who have the issue recording the news or other similar programming that records several times a day.  I will test this using "The Agenda With Steve Paikin" on TVO this week to see what happens since it airs three times a day.  I'll also test the CTV News problem by setting a "this time only" recording for the 6PM version. 

Edit - It appears to work with The Agenda, but doesn't work with CTV News Toronto - I just set it using the app and The Agenda is scheduled once a day whereas CTV News Toronto is scheduled 3X per day (noon, 6PM, 11:30PM) despite selecting "This time only" on the 6PM airing.  Perhaps this is an instance where I need to do as you originally said - wait for the recording to be finished and modify it.  

Upon further investigation, when I set the recording for "The Agenda" there is only one recording set per day, even without the "This Time Only" being set.  Something else seems to be at work here.

One thing I did notice was that my wife has a series recording set for Yoga on PBS that airs on Saturday and Sunday mornings. She has been recording these for months and now appears to have all the episodes.  The series has started over again and Ignite is "smart enough" not to record the same episodes again.  I knew this because I was wondering why there were no scheduled recordings for this weekend and realized they were ones she already had.

debiwaite
I plan to stick around

Thanks for your comments.

Re your comment "

One  minor note.

"Once you've scheduled the recording you do not need to wait until it has recorded to modify it so that it only records "this time only".  You can do that from your scheduled list, but only via the app, not via the STB."

This has not been my experience. On my android tablet the choice "/when to record/this time only" will only show up after the program has been recorded. None of the programs sitting in "scheduled" had that choice. It's a mystery. Thanks again.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@debiwaite wrote:

This has not been my experience. On my android tablet the choice "/when to record/this time only" will only show up after the program has been recorded. None of the programs sitting in "scheduled" had that choice. It's a mystery. Thanks again.

Strange.  The "This Time Only" option does show up on my scheduled recordings before I have a recording.  I set recordings for "The Agenda with Steve Paikin", for "CTV News Toronto" and for "The Repair Shop".  It's the same on my Mac Mini computer using Chrome browser, also my MacBook Air with Chrome,  as well as on my iPad.  Note, this is not when you first schedule a recording, but when you edit a scheduled recording.

1. For "The Agenda", it was not necessary to select "This Time Only" as Ignite set only one recording per day even though it airs 3X per day.  Edit - Silly me, this is because one airing is marked New and the other two are marked "Repeat" - Duh!

2. For "CTV News Toronto" despite setting "This Time Only" for the 6PM airing, all 3 daily programmes are scheduled to record and it's recording right now, starting at 11:30PM.  If I remember, I will try to set "this time only" again tomorrow after the 6PM airing...

3. For "The Repair Shop" it is scheduled to record all airings, just like CTV News despite selecting "this time only". (These are all repeats and I have them set as such)  I'll try to set a "this time only" again after I have a recording.

For more recording discussions, see my thread on the topic. Here's my latest post:  There are several earlier posts discussing other issues.

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Ignite-TV/IgniteTV-Guide-amp-Recording-Issues/m-p/496197/highl...

debiwaite
I plan to stick around

The Plot Thickens!

I have spent more time on this tonight and discovered when selecting a show on the Ignite app Guide the feature for series recording "When to record/This time only" is not available for shows on NBC but is available for shows on Global. This feature may become available after the NBC show has been recorded. So it seems to be a Network specific issue. I will have to check the Ignite app on a daily basis if I want to be sure my series shows are recording correctly and not duplicate recording at different days and times.  Since the Rogers tech staff don't seem to understand this issue,  it's a further waste of time to call them.

Thanks for all your input - It's been helpful.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Here are a couple of links on the topic from the Comcast website.  The first link tells you how to do it, which we now know.

https://support.xfinityoncampus.com/hc/en-us/articles/221855628-Recording-Options-for-a-TV-Series

The next link covers the same ground, but the poster states that it doesn't work for him and he never did get a satisfactory response...  So far it doesn't work for me either when modifying a scheduled recording. We'll have to wait until after I experiment some more to see if it works once I have a recording to modify.

https://forums.xfinity.com/conversations/x1/record-a-program-only-at-a-specific-time/625ddaa9ee0ef23...

More links saying it cannot be done...

https://forums.xfinity.com/conversations/channels-and-programming/how-do-i-record-only-the-channel-4...

https://forums.xfinity.com/conversations/channels-and-programming/how-to-program-a-recording-one-ins...

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

You would think that the behaviour would be consistent for all networks.  Food for thought, I wonder if this is yet another problem with incorrect or insufficient guide information which @57 has been complaining about for a very long time.  

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@debiwaite are you certain that this works for you properly?  Would you do us a favour and try your method with CTV News Toronto (Channel 8 at noon, 6PM and 11:30PM) and see if you can get it to only record say 11:30PM only?  (Since I had a recording from 11:30PM on Sunday, I modified that recording for "This time only", unfortunately, in my scheduled recordings list, I still see 3 scheduled recordings each upcoming day...)

Here's a screenshot of what I have set up:

Timeslot1Timeslot1

And here's a screenshot showing the 3 scheduled recordings later today.

Timeslot2Timeslot2

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

As expected, even though I have set "CTV News Toronto" and "The Repair Shop" for "This Time Only", I get several recordings at various times of the day.

It would be appreciated if anyone reading this thread would try the method outlined in recent posts to see if they can record only one airing per day of say "CTV News Toronto".  

The "This Time Only" option in the app/browser doesn't seem to do anything.  One can tell if it's working as soon as you set the option because you can check your scheduled recordings and there will be several recordings per day instead of just one.

There are only certain programmes affected by this - ones that are labelled "New/Live" several times a day like "CTV News Toronto", or if you're recording repeat airings that air several times a day like "The Repair Shop".

In order to invoke the "This Time Only" option, you first need to schedule the programme, then find it in your list of scheduled (or recorded) programmes and modify that scheduled (or recorded) programme. The "This Time Only" option will not come up when you first schedule a particular programme.  The option is only available in the App or Browser, not on the set top box.

debiwaite
I plan to stick around

Hello Again,

Based on the networks I watch regularly, these networks allow me to select - When To Record "This Time Only" on the Ignite App to successfully schedule shows auto every week;

CRAVE, PBS, GLOBAL, FOX, MSNBC

These Networks do not offer the "This time only" feature;

CTV, CITY, CNN, ABC, NBC, And even after recorded, it is still not offered. For all these I must remember to record each individually every week.

Rogers needs to investigate this with their IT or vendor because this system is faulty. After speaking with techs on the phone & chat they are unaware of the issue.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@debiwaite Thank you for your investigations.  It is indeed strange that you don't get a "This time only" option on CTV when I clearly do.  Are you sure you're looking at a series recording?

You say you get the option on certain channels, but does it actually do anything for you? For example if you change the programming that you currently have set to "This time only" to "All Times" do you actually end up with more recordings?  I have a feeling there is no difference if "This time only" is selected.

I have PM'd @CommunityHelps regarding the issue and we'll see if anything can be done.

Edit.  I just  checked and all my scheduled series recording have the "This Time Only" option.  Channels include NatGeo, CBC, CTV, Animal, TVO, TSN, REV, Cottage.

sesinger
I plan to stick around

Is there any way  to control what channel is selected to record a specific program. I went to channel 8 in the guide and selected CTV National News with Omar Sachedina to record, but when I checked the recordings section it had it recording on Channel 62 which is CTV News Network. This also happened when I set a program to record on NBC and when I checked it, it was set to record on CITY.

debiwaite
I plan to stick around
Yes I'm sure.
it doesn't list the option "When to record" it's missing.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@sesinger wrote:

Is there any way  to control what channel is selected to record a specific program. 

Yes. 1. Go to the guide on the TV or in the Browser or App.  Select the programme from the grid.

CTV1CTV1

2. When confirming a single recording, you should see CTV listed.

CTV2CTV2

If doing a series recording you may see HD Channel instead of CFTO. Simply select CFTO beside Channels.

CTV3CTV3

The screenshots above are from the browser, but you should see something similar on the TV from the STB.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@debiwaite wrote:
Yes I'm sure.
it doesn't list the option "When to record" it's missing.

That is very strange. As you can see from a previous post of mine, it shows for all my series recordings on many different channels that I listed.

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Ignite-TV/Issues-with-shows-recording-more-then-once/m-p/49685...

Did you try selecting "All Times" for one of your recordings that is currently set to "This Time Only" to see if you got any more recordings in your scheduled recordings?  Any additional recordings would show up in a few seconds in a browser or the App.  I would suspect that you do not see any additional recordings and that "This Time Only" does nothing.

Where are you located?  I'm in Toronto.

sesinger
I plan to stick around

@57 The screenshots didn't come through, just yellow triangles.

I think I tried that and there was no channel option, just HD and SD.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Screenshots take some time to be approved by the mods.   Come back later, or try clicking on the yellow triangles.

Topic Stats