cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issues with shows recording more then once

Fookaroo
I plan to stick around

I've only had Ignite TV for a few months now, coming from Bell Fibe having all kinds of issues with setting up recordings. I am having a problem with shows recording more then once when set to only record new episodes. Example, I set a show to record new episode Friday night at 8pm. That records on the channel i want, then again at 4am, it records again as its in the guide listed as new, then again, same channel righte now, its recording it again. Help! Any tips on how to avoid this?

***Added Labels***

78 REPLIES 78

Re: Issues with shows recording more then once

Fookaroo
I plan to stick around

Ours has been better recently, what you need to go is go to the show on that date (dont' search for it) go to time/show on the channel you want, and when you go to record it, you can select that channel only, and new episodes.  we did that for most of our shows and its been pretty good so far.

JWCalvert
I plan to stick around

With Ignite TV, there is no option anywhere that allows you to state a specific channel.

Am I missing it somewhere?

Thanks

JWCalvert
I plan to stick around
We need a method to select BOTH a specific channel AND a specific time slot.

Fookaroo
I plan to stick around

so when recording a show every day or whenever its on, on the recording options you should see:

Record: "New Episodes Only"
Channels: Options are HD, SD or the channel you are onrecord options.JPG

This solution doesn't work with the news. We record our local CTV news - only want the 6 pm newscast but it records noon and 11:30 pm as well. Same with CBC National News - only want 9 pm newscast but it records many throughout the day. 

Didn't have this problem with Bell Fibe. 

Fookaroo
I plan to stick around

Odd, we record a daily show as well, and as long as we go to the time slot we want it at, and make sure those settings i took a picture of are in place, it only records it at the time we want, if we did say a voice search for it and set it to record that way, then it would pickup the show on any channel and any time was a mess...

Yes - your solution works for most shows. It's the news that is an issue. We can't tell the system we want this show in only this time slot on only this channel every day. 

It must be the way the news is 'tagged' in the backend of the system. All CTV local news is considered a new episode of the same show so it records it every time. Super frustrating.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Unfortunately it's been this way for news on Rogers for a long time, due to the improper use of the "new" modifier, or the fact that Rogers IPG doesn't differentiate between the news at various times of the day.  Until Rogers fixes this issue with their IPG, you can either do a "new" recording on a specific channel and delete the daily recordings you don't want to watch, or set up single recordings which may take you less time...

Unfortunately, Ignite doesn't have a "timeslot" option, which sometimes has it's own quirks and problems.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Fookaroo wrote:

Odd, we record a daily show as well, and as long as we go to the time slot we want it at, and make sure those settings i took a picture of are in place, it only records it at the time we want, 

That programme probably has the "new" modifier on that programme only once a day unlike some of the news programmes. That's why it works for you in that instance and for most (daily) programming, that either airs only once a day or doesn't have multiple daily "new" modifiers.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The broadcasters themselves could help out by labelling their programming differently for the different timeslots.  For example, CTV could have "CTV News Toronto Noon", "CTV News Toronto Six" (airs at 5:59PM), "CTV News Toronto 11:30PM".  However, then there would be people complaining that they need to set 3 different recordings instead of just one if they want to watch all three airings... 😉

https://www.ctv.ca/on-air?tab=schedule

thyme4us
I plan to stick around
I just don’t understand why we rarely had this issue with Shaw Direct. I wonder if they pull the listing guide from different sources.
Between this issue and the PVR flakiness (not able to play recordings, recording the wrong program), we wish we never switched to Rogers.

Yup! Same problem here.....tried everything. Very frustrating.

Yeah, that's my concern too. Plus, it doesn't let you choose exactly how long to record for when you do it that way (only in 1 hour increments): so if you start the recording a minute early, it also cuts off a min early at end.

JenSee
I've been around
We do that but still getting multiple recordings of many shows! Exrremely frustrating!

lakers1
I've been here awhile

I have the same issue with The National  -  this is the news on channel 26.  I specifically record the 10pm slot, but I get 4 recordings (9pm-10pm ; 10pm-11pm ; 11:59pm-1:01am ; and 12:59am-2:01am).  I called Rogers support and they tell me they can't do anything because it is linked by the name of the program.  So by choosing just the 10pm slot, I get all 4.  Seems non-sensical to me.  Same thing happens with Saturday Night Live – we set to record the 11:28p - 1:03a slot, but it also records 9:59 - 11:01p.  Nothing could be more simple than just selecting one show, but Rogers finds another way to just complicate things.  

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@lakers1 wrote: ...I specifically record the 10pm slot, but I get 4 recordings 

Actually, you are not specifically setting it to record at 10PM.  You are setting a series recording and it will record that programme any time it airs, if you set a series.  The "new" modifier can come in handy, but if the "new" modifier appears 4 times a day, then it will also record 4 times.  The "New" modifier is set by the broadcaster, not by Rogers.  As mentioned in my earlier post, the broadcaster could help by having a different title for various times of the day - for example "National at 10," but that would be up to the broadcaster and you would need to take it up with them

Ignite doesn't have a "timeslot" option, like Legacy Digital Cable for some reason.  As noted earlier in this thread, you can workaround this by setting single recordings, or by deleting superfluous series recordings.  (one problem with a timeslot option is that if a programme changes the time by even one minute, it will not record and this can happen quite a bit depending on the programme.)

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@lakers1 wrote:

I have the same issue with The National  -  this is the news on channel 26.  I specifically record the 10pm slot, but I get 4 recordings (9pm-10pm ; 10pm-11pm ; 11:59pm-1:01am ; and 12:59am-2:01am).  I called Rogers support and they tell me they can't do anything because it is linked by the name of the program.  So by choosing just the 10pm slot, I get all 4.  Seems non-sensical to me.  Same thing happens with Saturday Night Live – we set to record the 11:28p - 1:03a slot, but it also records 9:59 - 11:01p.  Nothing could be more simple than just selecting one show, but Rogers finds another way to just complicate things.  

The problem is not with the Guide.  The problem is that Ignite TV lacks an option for specifying "This Time Slot Only".  That is how Comcast designed their TV platform, and we are stuck with its quirks and limitations.

lakers1
I've been here awhile

Thanks for the explanation.  I had the same issue with recording the 10 pm news on CTV channel 62 where it recorded 2 broadcasts.  Rogers managed to fix that one, so I was surprised and disappointed they couldn't do the same with The National and with Saturday Night Live.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@lakers1 wrote:

Thanks for the explanation.  I had the same issue with recording the 10 pm news on CTV channel 62 where it recorded 2 broadcasts.  Rogers managed to fix that one, so I was surprised and disappointed they couldn't do the same with The National and with Saturday Night Live.

If you go through this thread, you might find some helpful tips.  (I posted one on how to at restrict recordings of a show to one channel, which might help with recording multiple episodes of SNL.)

As for recording a show in the same timeslot every night, I find it easier to manually setup multiple individual recordings.  Want to record The National at 10PM every night?  Navigate to it in the Guide and press record.  Then press Fast Forward on the remote to advance one day; press Record... and keep doing this until you have queued up a week or two of recordings.   (The advantage with this approach is that you also will not need to worry about whether that timeslot is tagged as New or Repeat and risk missing an episode.)

debiwaite
I plan to stick around

Ignite "Record All" is missing the previous ability for same day/wk and same time. So even when you use the guide to find the show, select "record all" and "new" it records multiple shows at different days and timeshoing forward. The old Rogers legacy system worked correctly and someone blew it with this upgrade. Please fix this. Where is the quality control?

Topic Stats