cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issues with shows recording more then once

Fookaroo
I plan to stick around

I've only had Ignite TV for a few months now, coming from Bell Fibe having all kinds of issues with setting up recordings. I am having a problem with shows recording more then once when set to only record new episodes. Example, I set a show to record new episode Friday night at 8pm. That records on the channel i want, then again at 4am, it records again as its in the guide listed as new, then again, same channel righte now, its recording it again. Help! Any tips on how to avoid this?

***Added Labels***

78 REPLIES 78

Re: Issues with shows recording more then once

Sgodel
I've been here awhile

While I don’t have an answer for you, I can tell you that I am also plagued by this problem.

Rogers’ answer is that the program may be new to that channel and that is why it record multiple times. Another answer that I am hearing has to do with the source of where Rogers is getting the guide information...if the source doesn’t correctly identify a show as new or repeat then the option to only record new episodes won’t work. I had similar problems with Bell Satellite but they seemed to have figured it out. I don’t know why Rogers has not.

In an effort to resolve this, Rogers recommends that you also select the option to record new episodes only on a specific channel (usually the option is “SD Preferred”, “HD Preferred” or the channel that you are attempting to record on.  
while this option works for some shows, I find myself getting frustrated when I am not able to choose the specific channel to record from unless it is E! Or some other Bell or Rogers property...VERY FRUSTRATING!

thyme4us
I plan to stick around
Same issue here! I have only had Roger's Ignite for a few days and it has recorded the same program multiple times during the week. So frustrating. Never had this issue with Shaw.

Hi @thyme4us,

Thank you for your post and welcome to the Community! 

It's certainly frustrating to see multiple recordings of the same show. As mentioned by -G- regarding similar issues, can you try the following?  Go  into the Guide and navigate to the episode that you wish to record and the channel that you wish to record it on.  Click the OK/select button, then go to "Record", select "All Episodes",  and from that screen you should have options to record "New episodes only" and you should see your desired channel on the "Channel" line

Keep us posted! 

RogersRob

Fookaroo
I plan to stick around
Hey RogersRob,

So I just tried this myself as I am having a huge problem with this. The show I set to record is WWE Friday Night Smackdown on SportsNet 360 8pm friday. Its set to New Episodes only, Channel SN360 Only, its set to record at 8pm on friday, then again at 4pm on Saturday. This is note the only show that does this, but is one i just setup to try.

thyme4us
I plan to stick around
I've confirmed that I've set the recordings to new episodes only.
Thanks for checking.

Hello again!

Thanks you both for your replies. Has the problem resolved itself evolved since you originally posted?

To confirm, this is happening to all scheduled recordings since you first noticed the issue?

We most definitely want to help you work towards a fix. Please let us know the troubleshooting steps you have performed so far.

Looking forward to your reply!

RogersMaude

thyme4us
I plan to stick around

Yes, it is still happening.  For example, I've set the PVR to record the Masked Singer - only new episodes.  It airs on Wednesday evenings.  It records that episode, then records at least two more on the weekends on E! channel.  This is just one example, I've had it happen with other series as well.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I don't have Ignite, but I thought it was possible to select a specific channel for your recordings (post 4 of this thread?).  At least that would minimize the duplicates.  Check your scheduled recordings for the various options available.

Sgodel
I've been here awhile

Thanks for the reply, but alas this isn't working as you described.

For example: I want to record all NEW episodes of Match Game and would like it to record ONLY on channel 18 WKBW. Unfortunately the only options available are ALL or NEW, and then SD or HD or E!

WKBW or any other channel is NOT available to be selected even though this program is available on channels 8 CTVTO, 18 WKBW, 71 E!

Still frustrated.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Sgodel  There are multiple ways to record a series on Ignite TV, and they each behave a bit differently and provide you with different options when you try to modify the recording.  If you set the recording up from the a TV series' home page, you will not be able to select a specific channel to record on.  If you initiate the recording from a program time slot in the Guide, then you can set up a series recording for that program on that channel.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Are the options limited if you go to your "list" of scheduled recordings? In other words, is it possible to modify a scheduled series recording there, for say "new" or "all" and/or to select a particular channel?  Any other series options under the list like "timeslot" or extending a recording at the beginning or end?  Or is that only for single recordings?

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yes, you have all the same options when you set up an "All episodes" recording from the Guide.  However, you also get the additional option of being able to restrict recording to that specific channel.

One other quirk of Ignite TV is that you can only set up one instance of a series recording at a time.  I don't know of any way to record all new episodes of a TV show on Global (Toronto) AND also record all new episodes of that same show that air on CBS or perhaps on Global from a west coast feed.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@-G- wrote:

Yes, you have all the same options when you set up an "All episodes" recording from the Guide. 

Perhaps I wasn't be clear. The question I was asking was about modifying scheduled recordings from your "list" of scheduled recordings, not when you set up the recording initially...  Perhaps you can reread my previous post and comment regarding options?  We certainly appreciate all your help here regarding IgniteTV.

thyme4us
I plan to stick around
I am concerned that if I select a specific channel to record the series on, it may have a conflict with another show and not record it. Or one night it may not show on that channel due to a debate or some other special coverage. Letting it pick the channel seems logical, especially with the time shifting.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@57  If I set up an "All episodes" recording from the Guide, I can then change the Channels options from say, "CTVTO Only" to "HD Preferred", and can also change it back again to "CTVTO Only".  However, if I initiate the recording from the program's "series info home page", I can't select from a list of channels that the program will air on, nor can I switch recording to a different specific channel without setting up the "All episodes" recording again.  (Not a big deal.  I can cancel future recordings of a program and set the series recording up again without losing anything on my PVR.  New recordings of a program should also continue to be grouped with previous recordings in the Saved / Recordings list.)

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@thyme4us wrote:
I am concerned that if I select a specific channel to record the series on, it may have a conflict with another show and not record it. Or one night it may not show on that channel due to a debate or some other special coverage. Letting it pick the channel seems logical, especially with the time shifting.

This has been a potential problem with every TV platform that I have ever used.  TV shows get preempted by political leaders giving speeches and news conferences, and late-night shows get delayed when a (US) football game runs late.  I don't think that any TV platform has an ideal solution that works in all cases.

I have had a PVR with Rogers Digital TV and Fibe TV, but Ignite TV tends to be at least as good or better (in most regards) than those others.  At least if a hockey game (or some other live event) runs late, it (usually) has a special status in the Ignite Guide and somebody, somewhere, somehow, in the background can extend the recording of the live event.

I don't tend to schedule "All episodes" recordings, partly because my cloud PVR is perpetually full, and also because I prefer to have control of recording any program that I would not want to miss.  If I mess up and miss the first airing, I can also (almost always) record another airing on another channel or watch the program on-demand.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@thyme4us wrote:

There should be no conflicts since I believe you have up to 8 recordings at the same time.  If a programme is pre-emted, it should air later and be "caught" by the guide, but no guarantees.  As mentioned by @-G- , you should be able to catch any pre-empts yourself...

Sgodel
I've been here awhile

Thank you!

I just tested this functionality and although I had to delete all future recordings of Match Game and remove it from my list of FAVOURITES, I was able to then find it in the guide on Thursday at 10:00pm on WKBW.  This then allowed me (when I selected record) to record all future episodes ONLY on WKBW.

Since this solution is a known workaround I would suggest a 'Did you know' section or tips like this be added to the pre-existing list of "Tips and Tricks" accessible by pressing [A] on the remote. 

JWCalvert
I plan to stick around

I just installed Ignite TV yesterday ( 2021.01.21 ) and like 98% of it vs the previous Rogers system I had been using.

The Wifi signal is really strong all over my house, and the picture quality on our TVs is superb.

One problem however:  when we record 1 show for a week at 9pm ( say CBC news ), we get every single CBC news show at all times of the day.   That's unacceptable.

Does anyone know of a work-around for this?

Rogers Engineering; I hope you are reading this.

Thanks

Happens to us too...so frustrating. 

Topic Stats