cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issues with connecting to VPN since switching to Ignite

Ollie79
I'm here a lot

Please help!!
The issue with connecting to VPNs on Ignite seems to be known and nothing seems to be done to fix this.
Everything was absolutely fine connecting to my work VPN prior to switching to Ignite.
I need this resolved so I can connect to my work.
I can’t seem to find any recent conversations regarding this in the community forum. Does anyone have any recent updates on this issue ?
Thanks in advance !

*Added Labels*

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Issues with connecting to VPN since switching to Ignite

I can confirm that it does support VPNs

I am able to connect to my private VPN when I turn it on (PIA)

Yesterday I was working from home.  My work laptop uses Cisco Anyconnect.  And its set up with pretty stiff settings.
I was able to connect and stay connect all day yesterday.

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I doubt that I can help, but, for info's sake, what VPN are you running and what modem do you have.  Can you have a look at the bottom of the modem to check it out.  I'm assuming that you're running the new Ignite TV service.  It will either be the Arris TG3482ER or the Technicolor CGM4140 modem.  The Arris is an Intel Puma 7 chipset while the Technicolor is a Broadcom BCM-3390 chipset.  The Puma chipset modems seem to have been a pain for VPNs from the day that there were first rolled out by Rogers a few years ago.  Thats a chipset and firmware issue, not a Rogers specific issue. 

What protocol are you using for the VPN, TCP/IP or UDP?  Is there a choice? 

Thank you so much for your quick reply.
I had a look at the bottom of our modem and while it doesn’t exactly have either of those names you mentioned it has this number (IC: 431C-CGM414X) on the bottom which sounds like it would be the Technicolor one? Also says easyconnect 03083
I am not exactly sure what VPN my work has but think maybe Cisco?
I believe the VPN protocol is TCP/IP
Thank you!

Yes, that would be the Technicolor modem, which I have high hopes for.  I don't run that modem as I don't use the new Ignite TV service.  I have access to some of the Arris user interface slides but I don't see any page with VPN settings.  That doesn't mean that a page such as that doesn't exist as these slides could be out of date now.  On the white Hitron CODA-4582 modem, same for the black CGN3xxxx modems, there is a VPN Pass-through enable/disable page.  If you haven't done so already, go thru the settings tabs, looking for that same type of mixed VPN settings.  I would expect any VPN settings to be in the Firewall or Advanced tab.  I'd be interested if there was such a page in the user interface.  

I suspect that your VPN is a Cisco Anyconnect VPN:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/security/anyconnect-secure-mobility-client/tsd-products-suppor...

Edit:  If you do come across VPN Pass-through enable/disable settings, enable all of them, or, enable them one at a time until possibly the VPN works as it should.  What I suspect is that you might have to reboot the modem after enabling the settings, so, maybe, if they exist, enable all of them, reboot the modem and see if that resolves the situation. 

Great, thank you, I’ll give that a try tomorrow., and let you know what I find. So to be clear though I would log into the Rogers modem interface online to check these settings ? I can’t say I’ve done that before lol

Yup, log into the modem and take a stroll thru the various settings tabs 🙂

If I remember, I will take a look at my setup at home tonight.

Not 100% sure which modem model I have, I will check it.

As I have the Cisco Anyconnect for my works VPN, and I am able to connect to it just fine.

Thank you, very much appreciated!

So I’m logged into our modem and the only thing I see under the “firewall” drop down is IP4, IP6, and software.
Then under the “advanced” drop down there is Port forwarding, Port triggering, remote management, DMZ, and device discovery. Haven’t come across anything they says VPN
I’m lost !! Lol

Hi.  I'm hoping that @Gdkitty can assist here as he runs an XB6 modem as well.  

Awesome, thank you !!
Feel so frustrated with this because there was no issue connecting before we switched to ignite. And we did not do anything different with our VPN at work.
Plus I am not that technically savvy lol
I understand and some of it but most is way over my head.

Ok, no problem.  If we lose you at any point, please let us know so that we can provide a simplified explanation.  Please don't hesitate to say " You've lost me here".  There is an extremely wide range of users here on the forum, from absolute beginners to experienced corporate IT staff, so the answers will be tailored to the user who is posing the question, at least that's what I'll try.  Don't know if I'm always successful 😞  Therefore, don't hesitate to tell us that we've lost you somewhere in the explanation or solution. 

Only had a quick second to look this morning.. but the modem model starts with TM

jackrs
I've been around

Why doesn't the rogers ignite modem not support VPN service's ?

Hello, @jackrs.

Welcome to Rogers Community Forums and thank you for posting your query!

The Community can assist you; please provide more details of your VPN service, and the error messages, if any.

Also, provide the model of the modem. It listed on the product sticker at the bottom of the modem. 

Thanks,

RogersMoin

I can confirm that it does support VPNs

I am able to connect to my private VPN when I turn it on (PIA)

Yesterday I was working from home.  My work laptop uses Cisco Anyconnect.  And its set up with pretty stiff settings.
I was able to connect and stay connect all day yesterday.

Bob7
I plan to stick around

Hey @Gdkitty , I'm thinking of switching from Rogers cable to ignite, and like you I use PIA's VPN, so very happy to hear it still works with ignite internet.  Would you tell me which modem you have in case that's important during installation, thx.

-Bob

scleg
I've been around
Hey Ollie,
Did this end up working for you?? I just switched and I cannot get it to work!! I had high hopes reading your thread and then it just ended! I honestly think I am going to have to cancel the ignite package I just got and go back to tech savvy! What a huge mistake this is starting to feel like... I have a VPN phone, and it will not set up the VPN tunnel. I have tried port forwarding, didn't seem to help at all. I am at a total loss.

Bob7
I plan to stick around

Hey Scleg, is your VPN working through Ignite internet?  Which VPN are you using?  Which Rogers modem model?

-Bob

Topic Stats
  • 18 replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 7 in conversation