cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issues with XR15 remote control

BLW
I plan to stick around

There are many good things about Ignite, but the XR15 remote control is definitely inferior to the old netbox remotes for a few reasons:

- many of the buttons are harder to press, notably the arrow and 'ok' buttons.

- the low profile buttons and the way the exit and reocrd, guide and Rogers are connected to each other make it too easy to press the wrong one

- there is no 'previous channel' button'

- there is no 'back 10 seconds' button and hitting the page up or page down while watching a recording moves it 5 minutes, far too much

- the fast forward and reverse buttons are hard to control; you end up going too far most of the time unless you run it at very slow speed

- there is no 'menu' button and no 'settings' button.

The old remote was better in all these respects.  Why isn't it possible to make a better remote control?

B.L.

17 REPLIES 17

Re: Issues with XR15 remote control

Biollw
I'm a senior advisor

Hence the reason I prefer the Xr11 remote. See if you can pick one up somewhere. Better than the XR15

BLW
I plan to stick around

Thank you.

Can I switch them through Rogers? Or how might I do that?

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@BLW wrote:

There are many good things about Ignite, but the XR15 remote control is definitely inferior to the old netbox remotes for a few reasons:

- many of the buttons are harder to press, notably the arrow and 'ok' buttons.

- the low profile buttons and the way the exit and reocrd, guide and Rogers are connected to each other make it too easy to press the wrong one

- there is no 'previous channel' button'

- there is no 'back 10 seconds' button and hitting the page up or page down while watching a recording moves it 5 minutes, far too much

- the fast forward and reverse buttons are hard to control; you end up going too far most of the time unless you run it at very slow speed

- there is no 'menu' button and no 'settings' button.

The old remote was better in all these respects.  Why isn't it possible to make a better remote control?

B.L.

FYI, you can program the Ignite set-top box to ahead 30 seconds and skip backwards 15 seconds: https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Ignite-TV/Fast-Forward-Recordings-with-Ignite-TV-Remote/m-p/44...

The buttons on the XR15 remote are stiff but they do "break in" and become easier to press after use.  If you still find them too difficult to press, you can also ask Rogers for a Big Button remote.  It is an IR-only remote that requires you to point the remote directly at the set-top box but the buttons are MUCH easier to press.  However, that remote also lacks "skip ahead" and "skip backwards" buttons and it also does not support Voice Commands.

Biollw
I'm a senior advisor

Lurker_Returns
I'm a reliable contributor
The absolutely is a "Menu" button....the one labeled "ROGERS".....

gp-se
I'm an advisor

With my old Nextbox I was able to go to a Rogers store and swap remotes whenever I had an issue. However I called my store and they said with Ignite I need to contact Rogers to get a remote swapped. You could try to contact Rogers to swap your XR15 for a XR11.

BLW
I plan to stick around

Thank you - if I try this I will post the results

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I tried to obtain an XR11 remote for my parents a few months ago but was unable to.  Rogers considers the XR11 and XR15 remotes to be interchangeable, and there is no specific part number in their systems that allow Tech Support to explicitly request the XR11.  Same goes for the Ignite Gateways.  There is no way to request an XB6 or XB7 let alone something very specific like an Arris XB6 or a Technicolor XB7.  They can request a modem/gateway swap but you could end up getting any unit that is compatible with your service.

krome
I've been here awhile

This points to a pic of the old (reliable) Champion remote that is great.

But of no use for this topic.

DAJ3
I plan to stick around

The left arrow button (to the left of the blue microphone button) will bring up a menu at the bottom of the screen where you can scroll through several of the recently viewed channels. The default is the last channel viewed, but you can scroll left and change to a channel you viewed several changes back. A big improvement -- in my opinion -- to the limited last channel only option.

krome
I've been here awhile

The only real solution to a Rogers lamebrain policy.

I Asked at Rogers store in Ottawa and they said XR11 no longer available. I was able to track one down in Alberta - had "Shaw" where the "Rogers" button was. Also available from aliexpress.

I was "Ignited" 3 weeks ago when my legacy modem died and forced to move over to Ignite. The amount of time and money ( they just scrapped my 90% full PVR with about 270 shows/movies , some over 5 years old. No compensation. Whats the cost to record 270, say 1 hour shows ? Is that one month of connect time?)

Hopefully there will be a groundswell of seniors plus anybody with arthritis making it known to Rogers that their one size fits all policy is crippling them.  

Similar point here: https://www.reddit.com/r/Rogers/comments/mudfat/ignite_tv_remote_sucks/

krome
I've been here awhile

Local Rogers store in Ottawa says they dont have any more XR11's.

Have to look around online

krome
I've been here awhile

This post seems to speak volumes on how Rogers operates .

The standard Ignite remote, the XR15, wont work for seniors and others with arthritis (20%) and 30% more will probably find it aggravating with the membrane keyboard.

Dont know where testing and QA was in making XR15 standard issue for all new Ignite systems

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@krome : There is a big button remote that is available for IgniteTV, as discussed in the following thread:

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Ignite-TV/Ignite-quot-Big-Button-quot-Royal-Remote/m-p/469159

Unfortunately, this remote doesn't have voice commands, it's IR only, not RF and based on the buttons on the Royal remote, it doesn't appear to have any "programability" other than to tell which TV you have, so it'll turn it on/off and control TV volume.  It's also limited having no Pg+, Pg-, or AVR/Sound Bar volume/on/off functionality, which may not be important for many seniors.

You could use two remotes if you wish to have voice commands.

sesinger
I plan to stick around

I just found an XR11 on Kijiji for $15. It works fine

There was another one listed for $20.

jjjjy7
I'm a reliable contributor

If anyone is still looking for an XR11 remote, I have some that I am not using.  Happy to help you out.

Sandy_the_B
I've been here awhile
Those arrow keys are annoying. They feel almost 'sharp'. It feels like I have small cuts on my thumb from pressing them.
Topic Stats
  • 17 replies
  • 12 Likes
  • 11 in conversation