cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it Possible to Use 2 Rogers Gateway Modems on 1 Account?

Fishbowl56
I've been around

Is it possible to have two Rogers routers  on one Rogers account/household?  Our son is a hardcore gamer and wi fi doesn’t work well in his location of the house . I don’t want to relocate the router to his location because it impacts the other devices in the house.  I tried wi fi extenders and that proves useless. Im hoping a committed router to his room can be a solution

*** Edited Labels ***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Is it Possible to Use 2 Rogers Gateway Modems on 1 Account?

Biollw
I'm a senior advisor

Simple answer...no
Try some other method of getting wired to his room. I have run cat5 using cold air or heat duct, though not near the plenum.
Or use power line network adapters.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Biollw
I'm a senior advisor

Simple answer...no
Try some other method of getting wired to his room. I have run cat5 using cold air or heat duct, though not near the plenum.
Or use power line network adapters.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Fishbowl56 wrote:

Is it possible to have two Rogers  routers  on one Rogers account/household?  Our son is a hardcore gamer and wi fi doesn’t work well in his location of the house . I don’t want to relocate the router to his location because it impacts the other devices in the house.  I tried wi fi extenders and that proves useless.

Where did you place the Wi-Fi extender?  It needs to be placed in an intermediate location such that it has a good connection to your son's room AND to your Wi-Fi modem/router.

Also, what configuration are you running in now?  Do you have the Rogers modem/gateway in Bridge Mode and using your own router?  If so, you might be better off installing a Wi-Fi mesh network in your home so that you have good Wi-Fi coverage throughout... and the better mesh networks will also allow mobile devices/phones/tablets to roam seamlessly without losing connectivity.

Im hoping a committed router to his room can be a solution

Even if you were to install a dedicated router, you would still need to connect it somehow.  He would be better off with a wired Ethernet connection to the network.

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

2 modems on one account?  Nope, Rogers won't do that.  

However, 2 accounts at one residence, I would think shouldn't be a problem, as in another account in your spouse's or son's name.  If that's possible then you only need an available cable port in your son's room.  Then its only a matter of using an ethernet cable to connect to the modem.  

As they say, nothing beats a wire.  Yes, you can use wifi, MoCA, or maybe Powerline adapters, but, if your son is playing first person shooter type of games, all of those will introduce latency.  Its really a question of how much latency your son's gaming can withstand before he continually loses the games. That's a matter of the game itself, the servers he connects to and the local latency due to the connection type. 

So, the choice is either park a modem in his room or find some way to run an ethernet cable to his room. 

Just to point out, if you're using one of the Hitron CGN3 series modems including the CGNM-3552, or the Hitron CODA-4582, you can run two routers off of those modems.  Each router can run both IPV4 and IPV6 networks if you prefer to allow or run IPV6, and each router will provide independent networks.  That is to say, there is no cross-over between the two routers thru the modem, so each router is independent and separate.  

Either way, with two routers, or a single router or modem, the best results would be seen via ethernet, even if there is no ethernet cable to your son's room.  If its not possible to fish a cable to his room, then the next choice in this case is to run an ethernet cable as @Biollw indicated.  My choice would be to use the cold air return duct and use plenum rated Cat-6.  If you can manage to do that, then its a matter of either running a single modem, with an ethernet connection to that modem, running two routers off of a CGN3/CODA-4582 modem with an ethernet connection between the modem and far end router.  I don't remember off of the top of my head if its possible to run two routers off of an XB6 or XB7 modem with the modem in Bridge mode.  I think that's been done, but I don't remember the specifics of the post that refers to that configuration.  

If ethernet or separate accounts aren't possible then your stuck with Wifi, MoCA adapters or Poweline adapters.  

In the case of Wifi, you need to pay attention to the channel in use.  I'm guessing that the 2.4 Ghz channels are a write-off due to the number of modems/routers in your neighbourhood.  That leaves 5 Ghz as the best choice, despite any competition for those channels.  In Canada the power output for 5 Ghz channels is limited by the channel in use as seen in the following chart:

https://semfionetworks.com/blog/5ghz-band-channel-availability-in-canada/

So the best choice in terms of range from any modem or router, is seen by using a higher channel in the 149 to 165 range. 

At the far end, in your son's room, you would need to use something well beyond a simple wifi dongle to connect via wifi.  That requires adding something like an Asus PCE-AC88 or PCE-68 wifi adapter to his desktop.  Those are seen on the following amazon.com pages:

https://www.amazon.com/asus-wifi-antenna/s?k=asus+wifi+antenna

https://www.amazon.ca/s?k=asus+wifi+antenna&ref=nb_sb_noss

My first choice would be the PCE-AC88 as its a 4 x 4 system.  The recent Rogers modems all have four or eight 5 Ghz antenna, so the goal should be to match that at the receiving end with a 4 x 4 system as a minimum.  Each antenna supports one stream, so, the higher the antenna count, and resulting data stream count at the receiving end, the higher the bandwidth between the modem/router and the end user device.  That plays in to the latency issue between wifi connected devices.  You're not going to totally alleviate wifi latency, so all you can do select the channel in use to run the highest possible power level, combined with the least number of users on that channel and run the highest bandwidth possible, as determined by the end device antenna count.  Laptops for example typically have two antenna which is used for both transmit and receive purposes. 

If that's not possible, as in your son is using a gaming laptop, then the next choice would be to use a router in his room which would run in a media bridge mode.  Different manufacturers have different names, however, no matter the name for the mode, the router is used as the second part of a wifi bridge between the main modem/router and the wifi bridge unit.  At the far end, ethernet devices are connected to the wifi bridge router.  The benefit of this is that you can buy routers with 4 antenna which matches the antenna count for Rogers CODA-4582 and XB7 modems.  The XB6 modem has eight 5 Ghz antenna, so to match that you would probably need something like an Asus RT-AX89X.  That's a pretty pricey router to run in Media Bridge mode and, depending on the construction of your home and distance to between the modem and router, there's no guarantee that this would work.  You probably wouldn't know until you had the router in place, up and running, to determine the degree of success or failure.  Personal opinion, plenum rated cable is much cheaper.  

Beyond the wifi possibilities, you can try using MoCA, which is Multimedia over Coax Alliance.  This uses adapters to connect to the cable system, so the cable becomes an ethernet path between two or more points.  The newest adapters out these day support a total cable bandwidth of 2.5 Gb/s.  Thats a moot point as I believe that all of these newer adapters still use 1 Gb/s connector ports.  I'd have to look around to see if there's been any change in that.  There was a post yesterday in the Small Net Builder forum from gocoax that raises this topic.  Gocoax is one of the companies that manufactures MoCA adapters:

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/discussion-about-moca-2-5-adapter-with-2-5gbe-ethernet-port.73087/...

There is latency that arises thru the use of MoCA adapters, so there's a question of how much latency your son's games can tolerate before it causes problems. 

Lastly, there are Powerline adapters which use the house electrical system as a media bridge between two end points.  This is really hit and miss depending on how the electrical circuits are connected at the electrical panel.  That can be changed by an electrician to end up with the shortest path possible between the two end points, but, there's issues with latency and noise in the electrical system which results in less than stellar data rates.  These have improved over the recent years, but, this would be a very last choice after everything else has failed.  

So, there are choices.  It comes down to how much money you want to spend, or should I say how much money your son would like you to spend 🙂

Edit:  @Fishbowl56 have you ever taken one of the wallplates off of the wall to check for any additional cabling, including Cat-5e.  Some homes have structured cabling installed which includes two RG-6 cables for satellite or cable service, one Cat-5e or greater for ethernet and one Cat-3 (possibly another Cat-5e) for telephones.  Typically when the home is built the contractor will install a connector on one cable and just tuck the rest in behind the wallplate, where it waits to be discovered by a future home owner and put to use.  If your home was built within the last 15 to 20 years, its worth checking, just to see what other cables might be available for use. 

Topic Stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 Like
  • 4 in conversation