Is it OK to unplug Ignite stb's?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Is it OK to unplug Ignite stb's?

I have always unplugged my TV when going on vacation to avoid damage by power surges, lightning strikes, etc. When I  had TV via cable , I always left the PVR plugged in as a necessity for recording. I now have Ignite and I suspect it would be OK to unplug the set top box by the TV while I'm away. Is there any reason why I should not?

***Added Labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.

Re: Is it OK to unplug Ignite stb's?

Hey @ghcharters!

Totally appreciate wanting to ensure everything's ok while you're away :).

Certainly OK to unplug them! Though if the main concern is from power surges then I would definitely recommend a surge protector.

Regarding the recordings though if you do unplug them, and there's no active box to provide the command to record, to my knowledge the program won't be recorded for you.

@RogersAndy

I'm a Senior Contributor

"Regarding the recordings though if you do unplug them, and there's no active box to provide the command to record, to my knowledge the program won't be recorded for you."

What? So if there is no active X6i attached to the system my scheduled recordings will fail?

That is now what I or we have been let to believe. My understanding is all schedules are done at the server/cloud thus relieving the X6i of the task of scheduling them.

Perhaps you better clarify your statement.

Thnx

Bill

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Since the recordings are in the cloud and since they get recorded if there is a power failure at your home, I also would have guessed that the box doesn't need to be plugged in for programming to be recorded.  However, even with the older digital cable, the system did occasionally check to see if you had your STBs hooked up and deactivated those boxes after a period of time if they were not connected. I believe it was something like 3 weeks.  Perhaps this is what @RogersAndy is referring to?  Also, if you had 3 boxes, would all 3 need to remain connected?  These Ignite boxes use almost no power, so from a power saving standpoint the savings are minimal, however, as you state, there is almost always a concern from power surges.

I used to unplug my digital boxes when on vacation too, however, I found that they often didn't reboot properly when I came back from vacation and often required either many attempts to reboot, or several calls for reauthorization because the boxes are owned and "appeared" to be "dead", so now I don't do that any more...  (In my case it was a major pain to ask for second level to get the boxes active again). 

I have 3 PVRs and one regular STB and previously unplugged all but one. My PVRs plugged into a UPS to preclude head crashes, etc, which also provides surge protection.   However, again, the Ignite boxes don't have an iHDD, so there is not as much concern.  Since the Ignite boxes are rentals, if the box goes bad, you should be able to easily swap it out?

I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks for the information and advice, guys! I will just leave them plugged in.

Order Now!
Wilder vs. Ortiz II Live
LIVE: Saturday, November 23, 2019 8PM ET
Channels: 348 (HD) | 350 (SD) | Ignite TV 499
Price: $74.99 (HD) | $69.99 (SD) | Ignite TV $74.99
DTV can order on Nov. 21st & Ignite TV customers can order now!

Reigning heavyweight world champion Deontay "The Bronze Bomber'' Wilder takes on his most dangerous challenger as he defends his WBC title in a rematch against once-beaten Cuban slugger Luis "King Kong'' Ortiz.

Topic Stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 in conversation