IgniteTV switch from Wireless to Wired on Set Top Box

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: IgniteTV switch from Wireless to Wired on Set Top Box

@mubashir56  If you REALLY want to get rid of that WiFi connection and only want Ethernet connectivity, here is how you can do that:

1. Connect the Xi6 set-top box to the network using an Ethernet cable.
  2. Press the WPS button on the bottom of the STB (located at the front in the concave depression) and proceed with trying to initiate a new WiFi connection.
  3. While the 2 minute countdown is in progress, unplug the power connector from the STB.
  4. Power up the set-top box.  The WiFi connection should not be active.

To confirm that the WiFi connection is inactive, press and hold the Exit button on your remote for 3 seconds, then key in "Down Down 2".  On the Info screen, go to "WiFi Details".  The SSID field should be blank and the Signal Strength should be 0.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks but that did not work! When the WPS button is pressed, is it suppose to blink? Well this one doesn’t! Regardless, I pressed the button and unplugged the power. Waited for it to boot up. Checked the status as instructed but it still shows my Wifi is active. 

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@mubashir56  Here are the directions again, step by step:

1. Make sure that the set-top box is connected to the network by Ethernet.  It should be on and tuned to a channel.
  2. Press the WPS button on the bottom of the STB.  You should get a warning pop-up that says, "You're about to disconnect from the network.  Pressing the WPS button will disconnect this TV Box from the network.  Cancel / Continue."  Select "Continue" and press OK/Select.
  3. You will get a screen with a blue background that says, "Two minutes and counting!".  Do not press any buttons.  Wait a few seconds, then pull the power connector from the STB.
  4. Keep the STB powered off for a few seconds
  5. With the STB still connected to the network by Ethernet, power up the STB.

When the set-top box reboots, it will no longer be connected to WiFi.  "Settings / Device Settings / Network" will display "Ethernet Connection" rather than a WiFi network name.

One more thing: When you disconnect the Ethernet cable, the set-top box will go through a process to discover and then automatically connect to your private WiFi network.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Okay, thanks a lot but no luck! Pressing the WPS button does not initiate any thing on the screen at all ! Tried to press , press and hold, but nothing doing.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

FYI, it also works for me when I initiate the WPS procedure as follows:

• Press and hold the "Exit" button for 3 seconds, then key in "Down Down 9 4 3 4"
  • On the "Let's connect to your WiFi network screen, position the selector on "Connect using WiFi Protected Setup (WPS)" and then press "OK/Select"
  • You will then see a screen with a blue background that says, "Connect using the WPS button on your Gateway, modem, or router".  The selector should be positioned on "Initiate Connection"; press "OK/Select"
  • You should now be at Step 3 in my previous post, on the "Two minutes and counting!" screen.  Wait 15 seconds, unplug the power connector.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Tried that but does not work. This is a Xi6-T box! Oh well, will let it be for now. Thanks again for your help. 

Highlighted
I'm a Reliable Contributor

It is not an elegant solution but how about using the Ignite app on your phone and using the "Pause Device" feature with the timing of "Until I unpause" setting. I have no idea if this would be change by a reboot, but it is easy to go back in a pause it again.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@mubashir56 wrote:

Tried that but does not work. This is a Xi6-T box! Oh well, will let it be for now. Thanks again for your help. 

I don't know what to say.  I tested those steps on an Xi6-T.  One other trick that works for me is the following:

1. Connect the set-top box via WiFi and ensure that the Ethernet cable is disconnected.
  2. While the set-top box is on, initiate the WPS process to connect to a new WiFi network.
  3. WiFi will disconnect during the two-minute countdown.  Wait for the streaming to stop, then pull the power cable.
  4. Connect the set-top box to the network via Ethernet.
  5. Power up the set-top box.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I think my issue is being unable to initialize WPS either by the button or through the remote control. Since I have been assured that the Xi-6 box will only connect to the strongest signal automatically [either through Wifi or Lan] I am willing to move and leave it at that. 

Thanks all for your help. Appreciate it.