IgniteTV switch from Wireless to Wired on Set Top Box

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: IgniteTV switch from Wireless to Wired on Set Top Box

@digital1 you should be able to do that either by connecting the tv to the modem directly, or, if you don't have enough ethernet ports on the modem, you can purchase an unmanaged gigabit switch to install between the modem and the rest of your home network.  So, that would look like:

modem ---  unmanaged gigabit switch --- port 1 --- modem

--- port 2 --- smart tv

--- port 3 --- pc

--- port 4 --- xxxx

--- port 5 --- xxxx

etc, etc. 

The switches are usually available in 5, 8, 16,24, 48 port configurations, or larger. 

ColdGranite
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I assume that you can also use an unused old router as a switch?

... as long as it can be put in "bridge mode", of course...???

@Datalink wrote:

@digital1 you should be able to do that either by connecting the tv to the modem directly, or, if you don't have enough ethernet ports on the modem, you can purchase an unmanaged gigabit switch to install between the modem and the rest of your home network.  So, that would look like:

modem ---  unmanaged gigabit switch --- port 1 --- modem

--- port 2 --- smart tv

--- port 3 --- pc

--- port 4 --- xxxx

--- port 5 --- xxxx

etc, etc. 

The switches are usually available in 5, 8, 16,24, 48 port configurations, or larger. 

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yup, that would work.  Keep in mind that different router manufacturers use different terms for "Bridge" mode or perhaps "Access" point mode.  I'd run an old Asus router in Access Point mode and turn off the wifi as well.  Running in Access Point mode disables the firewall and DHCP server. 

The only caveat with an old router is that one would probably want to ensure that the router has gigabit ports instead of 100 Mb/s ports.  In theory, even 100 Mb/s ports should be good enough for 4K I believe.  Don't have the high resolution data rates at my fingertips.......

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Datalink wrote:

...In theory, even 100 Mb/s ports should be good enough for 4K I believe.  

25 mbps is usually adequate for 4K and 10 mbps for HD (1080P) single stream

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Datalink wrote:

In theory, even 100 Mb/s ports should be good enough for 4K I believe.  Don't have the high resolution data rates at my fingertips.......

Actually, the Ignite set-top boxes only have 100 Mb/s Fast Ethernet ports, not GigE ports.

digital1
I've Been Here Awhile

Is there a way to use it without a router? What exactly is the purpose of the Ethernet port on the back of the ignite tv box? The internet modem is located in another room and I'm trying to figure out the best way to get internet on the smart tv without having to run a long ethernet cord from the modem to the tv. 

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The Xi6-A or XI6-T set top boxes will run via ethernet or wifi when connected to the modem or to a router, that's your choice.  Now, if you're trying to run a smart TV with internet access, that would require the TV to have an ethernet port or wifi capability.  If all you're doing is connecting the set top box to the TV via HDMI, without using any of the smart TV's built in ethernet or wifi capability, then the set top box can run via wifi.  

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@digital1 wrote:

Is there a way to use it without a router? What exactly is the purpose of the Ethernet port on the back of the ignite tv box? The internet modem is located in another room and I'm trying to figure out the best way to get internet on the smart tv without having to run a long ethernet cord from the modem to the tv. 

The Ethernet port on the set-top box is used to connect the set-top box itself to the network with a wired connection, not for connecting other devices.

If your TV only has a wired Ethernet port, you can also use an "Ethernet to Wireless" bridge/adapter  to connect to the network via Wi-Fi.  If you have Ignite Pods installed, they also have an Ethernet port that can be used to connect devices, such as your TV, that can only connect via wired Ethernet.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@digital1 wrote:

I have a smart TVs without built in WiFi. Is it possible to run an Ethernet cord from the ignite tv box to back of tv to get internet?

What is the exact make/model of your TV?  Are you sure it doesn't have WiFi?