cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IgniteTV switch from Wireless to Wired on Set Top Box

fancyb
I'm Here A Lot

Hey there, i recently switched over to the IgniteTV and had all but 1 set top box hardwired lan connection.  The other box was setup with a wireless connection.  I have since ran a cable to hardwire the connection and want to switch the set top box over.

Can someone please help with the instructions on how to do this....

***Added Labels***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: IgniteTV switch from Wireless to Wired on Set Top Box

RogersTim
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey @fancyb,

You can't go wrong with hardwiring the box. The Set-Top Box should automatically grab the LAN connection over Wi-Fi, you may need to unplug the Set-Top Box from the power for 10 seconds. The diagnostics screen will still show you're paired to Wi-Fi. However, if you disconnect the Ethernet cable, your TV should cut out for a few seconds before it tries connecting to Wi-Fi again to verify.

RogersTim

View solution in original post

28 REPLIES 28

RogersTim
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey @fancyb,

You can't go wrong with hardwiring the box. The Set-Top Box should automatically grab the LAN connection over Wi-Fi, you may need to unplug the Set-Top Box from the power for 10 seconds. The diagnostics screen will still show you're paired to Wi-Fi. However, if you disconnect the Ethernet cable, your TV should cut out for a few seconds before it tries connecting to Wi-Fi again to verify.

RogersTim

View solution in original post

Thanks and how do I get to diagnostics screen?

RogersTim
Community Manager
Community Manager

No problem!

To access the diagnostics screen:

1. Hold Exit for 2 seconds
  2. Press the Down key twice. (silver arrow key below the OK button)
  3. Then input the number 2 twice. 

You will need to be a little quick about it as it will time out.

RogersTim

nuklz96
I've Been Here Awhile

Can I hard wire my ignite tv boxes to a 3rd party router? or does it have to connect to the XB6?  I have bridged my XB6 and have my own wifi6 (AX8) router running my network.  I have an extender meshed (EX7700) and would like to hard wire one of my boxes to the EX7700. I know that there is a "beacon" coming off my XB6 (which sucks) that talks to my boxes even though traffic is flowing from my own router but I am wondering if the box will stop communicating (back door) with the XB6 if it is hooked up via LAN.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@nuklz96 wrote:

Can I hard wire my ignite tv boxes to a 3rd party router? or does it have to connect to the XB6?  I have bridged my XB6 and have my own wifi6 (AX8) router running my network.  I have an extender meshed (EX7700) and would like to hard wire one of my boxes to the EX7700. I know that there is a "beacon" coming off my XB6 (which sucks) that talks to my boxes even though traffic is flowing from my own router but I am wondering if the box will stop communicating (back door) with the XB6 if it is hooked up via LAN.

There is no (technical) requirement to connect the Xi6 set-top box through the XB6 gateway.  You can connect it to your own infrastructure, using Ethernet or WiFi.  Rogers does not provide any support for Ignite TV in this configuration and you will need to revert back to a supported configuration before calling tech support, but it does work.  There is even a discussion thread where the Community provides support, on a best-effort basis, to users who choose to run Ignite TV with their own network gear.

If you connect the set-top box to your router via WiFi, and then connect to that same network using an Ethernet cable, it will still maintain the WiFi connection but will only use wired Ethernet for sending and receiving data.  In this configuration, I don't think that the set-top box maintains any connection to the XB6.

It is true that you cannot completely disable WiFi on the XB6, and it still has services running even when bridge mode is enabled, and some of those services operate over those hidden SSIDs.

In the default config, with the XB6 in gateway mode with WiFi active, one of those hidden SSIDs will allow a brand new Xi6 set-top box to discover and automatically connect to WiFi.  It is possible to "unpair" the set-top box's WiFi connection but if you should ever disconnect the STB from Ethernet, it might try to re-connect to WiFi using the "auto-config" services that the XB6 provides.

mubashir56
I Plan to Stick Around

Hello All

I need help in switching my Infinity stb from Wifi to ethernet as I have hooked a cable to it.  As suggested above I disconnected the Ethernet cable but the box simply switched to Wifi as what I was watching on TV kept on going without interruption.

Thanks.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@mubashir56  Is there any specific reason why you want to completely prevent the Ignite set-top box from connecting to Wi-Fi?  It's kinda hard to do this.  As I said in my previous post, you can disassociate the Xi6 from Wi-Fi but as soon as you unplug the Ethernet cable, it will automatically reconnect to Wi-Fi through services running on the XB6 gateway.  Also, when the STB is connected by Ethernet, the WiFi connection is not used for sending or receiving data.

mubashir56
I Plan to Stick Around

Hi and thanks for your response.
The reason I want to switch over is to get a faster speed. I suspect 4K Channels off the Wifi are not  sharp as compared watching them through Ethernet.

Surely there must be a way to switch over. Can we not factory reset the stb or go through Infinity web setup? How about the Infinity App on our phones?

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@mubashir56 wrote:

Hi and thanks for your response.
The reason I want to switch over is to get a faster speed. I suspect 4K Channels off the Wifi are not  sharp as compared watching them through Ethernet.

Okay, but here is something else to consider:  An HD stream uses an average of up to 10 Mb/s of network bandwidth.  (The media streams are actually send in bursts, not at a continuous bitrate.)  A 4K stream uses up to 25 Mb/s.  The Ethernet port on the Xi6 is only Fast Ethernet and maxes out at 100Mb/s; it doesn't need anything faster.

I'm using professional enterprise-grade Wi-Fi gear in my home and my Xi6 can theoretically transfer data at 866 Mb/s.

Surely there must be a way to switch over. Can we not factory reset the stb or go through Infinity web setup? How about the Infinity App on our phones?

Nope.  The Ignite set-top boxes can only be provisioned centrally and everything else can only be customized by the end-user through Settings.  Ignite TV is an end-to-end integrated solution and the set-top boxes were meant to be connected over WiFi.  If you do have the STB connected by Ethernet, it doesn't hurt to have that WiFi connection in place even though it is redundant; the Ethernet connection is always used when connected.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@mubashir56  If you REALLY want to get rid of that WiFi connection and only want Ethernet connectivity, here is how you can do that:

1. Connect the Xi6 set-top box to the network using an Ethernet cable.
  2. Press the WPS button on the bottom of the STB (located at the front in the concave depression) and proceed with trying to initiate a new WiFi connection.
  3. While the 2 minute countdown is in progress, unplug the power connector from the STB.
  4. Power up the set-top box.  The WiFi connection should not be active.

To confirm that the WiFi connection is inactive, press and hold the Exit button on your remote for 3 seconds, then key in "Down Down 2".  On the Info screen, go to "WiFi Details".  The SSID field should be blank and the Signal Strength should be 0.

mubashir56
I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks but that did not work! When the WPS button is pressed, is it suppose to blink? Well this one doesn’t! Regardless, I pressed the button and unplugged the power. Waited for it to boot up. Checked the status as instructed but it still shows my Wifi is active. 

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@mubashir56  Here are the directions again, step by step:

1. Make sure that the set-top box is connected to the network by Ethernet.  It should be on and tuned to a channel.
  2. Press the WPS button on the bottom of the STB.  You should get a warning pop-up that says, "You're about to disconnect from the network.  Pressing the WPS button will disconnect this TV Box from the network.  Cancel / Continue."  Select "Continue" and press OK/Select.
  3. You will get a screen with a blue background that says, "Two minutes and counting!".  Do not press any buttons.  Wait a few seconds, then pull the power connector from the STB.
  4. Keep the STB powered off for a few seconds
  5. With the STB still connected to the network by Ethernet, power up the STB.

When the set-top box reboots, it will no longer be connected to WiFi.  "Settings / Device Settings / Network" will display "Ethernet Connection" rather than a WiFi network name.

One more thing: When you disconnect the Ethernet cable, the set-top box will go through a process to discover and then automatically connect to your private WiFi network.

mubashir56
I Plan to Stick Around

Okay, thanks a lot but no luck! Pressing the WPS button does not initiate any thing on the screen at all ! Tried to press , press and hold, but nothing doing.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

FYI, it also works for me when I initiate the WPS procedure as follows:

• Press and hold the "Exit" button for 3 seconds, then key in "Down Down 9 4 3 4"
  • On the "Let's connect to your WiFi network screen, position the selector on "Connect using WiFi Protected Setup (WPS)" and then press "OK/Select"
  • You will then see a screen with a blue background that says, "Connect using the WPS button on your Gateway, modem, or router".  The selector should be positioned on "Initiate Connection"; press "OK/Select"
  • You should now be at Step 3 in my previous post, on the "Two minutes and counting!" screen.  Wait 15 seconds, unplug the power connector.

mubashir56
I Plan to Stick Around

Tried that but does not work. This is a Xi6-T box! Oh well, will let it be for now. Thanks again for your help. 

Bplayer
I'm a Trusted Contributor

It is not an elegant solution but how about using the Ignite app on your phone and using the "Pause Device" feature with the timing of "Until I unpause" setting. I have no idea if this would be change by a reboot, but it is easy to go back in a pause it again.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@mubashir56 wrote:

Tried that but does not work. This is a Xi6-T box! Oh well, will let it be for now. Thanks again for your help. 

I don't know what to say.  I tested those steps on an Xi6-T.  One other trick that works for me is the following:

1. Connect the set-top box via WiFi and ensure that the Ethernet cable is disconnected.
  2. While the set-top box is on, initiate the WPS process to connect to a new WiFi network.
  3. WiFi will disconnect during the two-minute countdown.  Wait for the streaming to stop, then pull the power cable.
  4. Connect the set-top box to the network via Ethernet.
  5. Power up the set-top box.

mubashir56
I Plan to Stick Around

I think my issue is being unable to initialize WPS either by the button or through the remote control. Since I have been assured that the Xi-6 box will only connect to the strongest signal automatically [either through Wifi or Lan] I am willing to move and leave it at that. 

Thanks all for your help. Appreciate it. 

digital1
I've Been Here Awhile

I have a smart TVs without built in WiFi. Is it possible to run an Ethernet cord from the ignite tv box to back of tv to get internet?

@digital1 you should be able to do that either by connecting the tv to the modem directly, or, if you don't have enough ethernet ports on the modem, you can purchase an unmanaged gigabit switch to install between the modem and the rest of your home network.  So, that would look like:

modem ---  unmanaged gigabit switch --- port 1 --- modem

--- port 2 --- smart tv

--- port 3 --- pc

--- port 4 --- xxxx

--- port 5 --- xxxx

etc, etc. 

The switches are usually available in 5, 8, 16,24, 48 port configurations, or larger.