IgniteTV Surround Sound

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: IgniteTV Surround Sound

@wolverine99 : That post was almost 100 posts ago and almost 2 years ago.  You may not get a response from @ront , but perhaps someone else will be able to help.  Perhaps you can tell us exactly what equipment you've got and why you need the converter...

I'm Here A Lot

I am doing my research to see if a switch to Ignite is something we want to do. My current HD box is the Explorer 4642. That unit has an Optical Audio jack that goes to my Receiver thus enabling my Surround Sound to work. The Ignite TV box only has a power cord and HDMI port, so there needs to be some sort of HDMI/Optical splitter to make that work. I spoke with a Rogers Tech today for almost 30 minutes, he understood the issue but offered no solution other than having Rogers do the Ignite install and have the understanding that if they cannot get the Surround Sound to work then no Ignite system. I have a professionally installed system done back in 2006 by Bay Bloor Radio with three speakers in the wall around the TV and two in the ceiling by the sitting area. It is beyond me why Rogers has no fix, I am sure I am not the first person with this issue, this thread is proof of that. Thus my question to 'ront' who seems to have fond the solution in a scenario similar to mine. Thanks.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

There are a few options in addition to the "converter" discussed:

1. You can purchase a new receiver (or whatever device you have installed) that would accept HDMI input for the audio and pass the video to the TV.  Since your system seems to be 15 years old, it may be time to look at a new (4K?) TV and AVR and perhaps other devices...  You may want to take advantage of 4K signals, not only from Rogers, but from streaming options, etc...

2. You should be able to feed the HDMI signal to the TV as you are already, (an assumption) and use the optical out from the TV (most TVs have that option) and feed that optical signal to your receiver or whatever device you have installed.   See the bolding in item 4 of the following link:

https://www.digitalhome.ca/threads/faq-whats-available-in-dd5-1.17870/

If you provide us the exact make/model of the TV and AVR we may be able to check the capabilities.  Of course the location of the various devices can be important. If there is a long distance from the TV to the AVR and you have the HDMI cable in a conduit, it may take some doing to get an optical cable from the TV to the AVR. OTOH, if the AVR and TV are in relatively close proximity, then an optical cable from the TV to AVR may be easy to do, assuming the TV has an optical output and has "passthrough" capabilities.

You may wish to discuss these options with Bay Bloor again. They may have additional ideas.  I know a lot about these sorts of installations because I optimized home theatres for clients for about 10 years, but I'm not doing that any more.

I'm Here A Lot

Thank you for your feedback, I am not that technically inclined, some of this may be out of my league. 

A new TV is a certainty, the 2006 version is a Panasonic Plasma, still as good today as it was in 2006, but does not even have an HDMI port on it. will likely get a Samsung 55" 4K. All the hookups are through Monster cables run from the HD Box, into the receiver, also a CD  player and eventually up to the TV ( I had all the wiring put in behind the wall). Receiver is a Yamaha RX-V559. likely just going to Best Buy, Bay Bloor not practical and very pricey! The Receiver is like new so ideally want to keep it. Proximity of AVR and TV is close ( wall mount TV  in basement so lower ceiling, all devices in a console directly underneath the TV.) 

Thanks again for the assistance, any other info is appreciated. If the Converter idea is workable and you know of any units, please pass on. Thanks.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

1. I assume you're currently running component video from the Rogers box to the AVR, then to the TV for video.

2. When you get a new TV you'll need to run HDMI from the IgniteTV box to the TV, assuming you're not getting a new AVR.

3. You should then be able to run optical from the TV to the AVR for audio since this will be a new TV (instead of audio from the Rogers box).  You need to properly set up the TV to do this in the TV's user menu, but that should be easy.  The optical from the TV will also provide the audio for any of the TV apps that you may use.  

4. You should be fine leaving the rest as it is, so it should all be pretty straight forward.

5. You could use the converter, however, it's not necessary if you do the above.

I'm Here A Lot

Yes to your point #1.

That sounds reasonably straight forward. Will likely get the TV first, make sure all that works and then look at the Ignite package. Thanks again for all your help.

I'm Here A Lot

Hello again,

Just a clarification, in referencing back to your Message 113, point 2 and the Link provided, are you (or the article) saying the Optical link from the TV back to the AVR may not work? If I were to purchase a new AVR what would the connection be? Thanks.

I'm a Trusted Contributor

" If I were to purchase a new AVR what would the connection be? "

Connation would be HDMI from Ignite to AVR, then TV out from AVR to TV. Same connection for other devices, DVD/Blu-ray/Chromecast/etc

AVR picks up the audio from HDMI and passes through video to TV.