IgniteTV Surround Sound

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PatrickJB
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: IgniteTV Surround Sound

Distorted audio with Dolby Digital on Ignite TV

I'm having an issue with audio on my Ignite TV set top box. I have a Sonos Beam sound bar connected to a Samsung smart TV via HDMI ARC. I'd like to be able to use Dolby Digital via auto-detect in the HDMI output settings, and initially when I set it it works fine. I'll watch for a while, then eventually turn the TV off when I'm done watching. When I turn it back on later, the sound is extremely distorted. It is monotone and choppy and robotic and very unpleasant, and I have to switch audio back to stereo to fix it.

Has anyone else experienced this and/or know what might be causing it? I'd really like to use my sound bar with my other Sonos speakers to create a proper surround sound setup, but having to switch the audio back and forth every time if I want to use Dolby Digital to do that is extremely irritating. Note: I can't use expert mode because I rely on the Voice Guidance feature, and expert mode doesn't support it. So I don't know if that would otherwise fix it.

RogersTony

Hello, @PatrickJB

We appreciate you posting your concerns in the Community.

I know how important it is to have a good quality sound when enjoying your TV service. Nothing beats watching a movie in surround sound. 

If you are using a surround sound system usually the expert mode is recommended. Regrettably, I haven't got a surround sound system setup to test out the compatibility on my end. Our resident experts, @-G-, @Gdkitty may be able to shine more light on surround sound setups. I will also include a few others users who may be able to assist, @Biollw@Babylegs1, @Bplayer, @ColdGranite.

I am confident the Community will be able to provide some insight on a potential solution.

RogersTony

Bplayer
I'm a Trusted Contributor

The problem is likely a handshake issue between the three devices. Check that you have the latest firmware installed on the TV and Sonos. Some alternatives that may work but likely have compromises:

- try an optical connection between the TV and Sonos rather than an HDMI cable

- leave the Sonos powered on all the time

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@PatrickJB wrote:

Distorted audio with Dolby Digital on Ignite TV

I'm having an issue with audio on my Ignite TV set top box. I have a Sonos Beam sound bar connected to a Samsung smart TV via HDMI ARC. I'd like to be able to use Dolby Digital via auto-detect in the HDMI output settings, and initially when I set it it works fine. I'll watch for a while, then eventually turn the TV off when I'm done watching. When I turn it back on later, the sound is extremely distorted. It is monotone and choppy and robotic and very unpleasant, and I have to switch audio back to stereo to fix it.

Has anyone else experienced this and/or know what might be causing it? I'd really like to use my sound bar with my other Sonos speakers to create a proper surround sound setup, but having to switch the audio back and forth every time if I want to use Dolby Digital to do that is extremely irritating. Note: I can't use expert mode because I rely on the Voice Guidance feature, and expert mode doesn't support it. So I don't know if that would otherwise fix it.

Is the firmware on your TV and sound bar up to date?  Some troubleshooting tips in this article may also be helpful.

@57  may also have some additional tips and expertise to offer.

When using HDMI ARC, the TV relays (and may need to transcode) digital audio from the source to the return channel, and if all devices are not configured in a compatible manner, or if there are hardware/firmware bugs or incompatibilities between any of the devices along the chain, you can run into all sorts of weird issues, especially if one of the devices gets into the wrong state.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@PatrickJB : Since you're using a sound bar and not a true surround sound receiver, I suggest you stick with the "stereo" setting.  It will still give you surround sound when decoded by Dolby Pro Logic in the bar and there may be no audible difference, even if the original signal is discrete DD5.1.  Here's why I recommend this:

IgniteTV is weird in that you can get proper DD5.1 only from live or on demand programming. On cloud recordings, the signal is still DD5.1, however, only the LF & RF speakers are active.  I therefore recommend using the "stereo" setting so that all of your programming is decoded by the AVR/Sound Bar using DPLII to give you surround sound.  If you don't, then your recorded programming will only have audio out the LF & RF speakers (which may be causing the issues with your sound bar)

At some future time this may be fixed by Rogers/Comcast, but for now, that's an issue which has upset many people and also one of the issues that makes me wait to get IgniteTV.

As discussed in the following FAQ, item 4, the settings in your TV for audio out also need to be set to passthrough or raw instead of say PCM...  You can also try using "Expert" instead of the "auto" setting in the IgniteTV box, as the auto setting will shake hands with your TV instead of the AVR.  This may force DD5.1 to the AVR/sound bar with appropriate TV settings, however, the issue with improperly encoded DD5.1 from cloud recordings will still exist (Item 1 of the FAQ)

https://www.digitalhome.ca/threads/faq-whats-available-in-dd5-1.17870/

I would do this even with my AVR, under the current circumstances. It takes a really good ear and good DD5.1 programming to hear the difference between DPLII and DD5.1.  Most programming doesn't have enough discrete rear signals to make a difference....

PatrickJB
I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks for the responses. I was under the impression that simple stereo audio wouldn't be converted to surround, but I did some experimenting and found that it does work. It isn't quite the same because Sonos, not the original program, makes the call on what audio gets sent, but it's still a good experience.

Also, as it turns out, channels don't seem to offer video description in DD. Either that or it has the same bug as the cloud recordings, because with audio set to Dolby Digital, content with video description only played through my soundbar, whereas with audio set to stereo it behaves the same as when VD is off. I watched described content wherever available, so looks like stereo is the way to go.
ColdGranite
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@PatrickJB wrote:
Thanks for the responses. I was under the impression that simple stereo audio wouldn't be converted to surround, but I did some experimenting and found that it does work. It isn't quite the same because Sonos, not the original program, makes the call on what audio gets sent, but it's still a good experience.

Also, as it turns out, channels don't seem to offer video description in DD. Either that or it has the same bug as the cloud recordings, because with audio set to Dolby Digital, content with video description only played through my soundbar, whereas with audio set to stereo it behaves the same as when VD is off. I watched described content wherever available, so looks like stereo is the way to go.

I tripped over this post on another site, which may or may not be relevant to your issue:

https://en.community.sonos.com/setting-up-sonos-228990/linksys-routers-need-to-have-the-filter-multi...

Ferkner
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Ignite TV Surround Sound

I just noticed tonight that surround wasn't working on recordings. Even though my Pioneer receiver was showing Dolby Digital and the surround speakers were displayed, I was only getting stereo. After reading through the last couple of pages, I fiddled with the different surround options on the recieved reciever and seemed on Extended Stereo. It fills my area with sound which is what I want.

Odd that this more advanced setup can't handle 5.1 properly but Rogers Digital handled 5.1 perfectly all the time, live or recorded. This on top of the terrible remote and the fast forward/rewind annoyance sort of makes me miss digital cable.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Ferkner wrote:
...I fiddled with the different surround options on the recieved reciever and seemed on Extended Stereo. It fills my area with sound which is what I want.

Please read post 95 of this thread again.  If you use "Extended Stereo" it will send similar audio to all the speakers, instead of having dialogue out the centre speaker and left front speaker audio out the LF speaker, etc.  Rather than doing what you did, set the Rogers box to output "stereo" and set the AVR to Dolby Pro Logic II. This will provide you with proper surround sound. In this way if someone enters a room in a movie from the rear left, you'll hear it from the rear left instead of from all the speakers.  Remember that lots of programming doesn't have any surround sound - like the news where dialogue will come out the center speaker only.  When properly set up you'll hear the audio as the audio engineer intended rather than simply "filling your room".

Ferkner
I Plan to Stick Around

That's still not proper surround sound. It's stereo sound that is faked into surround sound.